Author Topic: Sydney Master Thread  (Read 60065 times)

Offline BBPAPA

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Sydney Master Thread
« Reply #280 on: October 30, 2019, 07:52:27 PM »
Kosher food availability near PH SYD?

Need guidance for Shabbos food prep.
Will PH SYD heat up meals for you?
TIA

Offline mijo

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA: 1K, HHonors: Dia, IHG Plat
« Reply #281 on: November 25, 2019, 06:16:38 AM »
Anyone able to offer advice on cellphone use.
Google Fi in Israel more expensive than I thought it would be.
Looking for other options in OZ.

Any places that don't accept CC's?
Used a Partner IL roaming package, had good coverage in BNE, MEL and SYD
Discover wasn't accepted anywhere other cards yes, best if you have a tap-card, can even use it for tap-on/off public transport

Offline Gvann

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #282 on: May 17, 2022, 02:07:44 PM »
Need pretty simple information, don’t have time to read everyone’s food preferences.
5 days in Sydney in august. What’s a good place to stay in bondi beach for Friday through sunday night.
Must see trips near Sydney? Attractions worth paying for?

Also good place to stay one night at end of trip by airport. Flying into Melbourne at 6pm and leaving to America 11am

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2022, 02:11:45 PM »
Need pretty simple information, don’t have time to read everyone’s food preferences.
5 days in Sydney in august. What’s a good place to stay in bondi beach for Friday through sunday night.

Also good place to stay one night at end of trip by airport. Flying into Melbourne at 6pm and leaving to America 11am
Do the Sydney bridge tour first thing in the morning so you're the first tour. Otherwise you spend 2 hours waiting at every point of the bridge for groups in front of you.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2022, 05:43:49 PM »

Climbing the harbour bridge was super fun, the opera house is cool to tour or go to a concert at, and the Taronga Zoo is also really cool since you can go into an enclosure with kangaroos and wallabies.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF gold elite, AA Executive Platinum, DL outcasted platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Hyatt Discoverist
« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2022, 10:49:16 PM »
Climbing the harbour bridge was super fun, the opera house is cool to tour or go to a concert at, and the Taronga Zoo is also really cool since you can go into an enclosure with kangaroos and wallabies.
Do the Sydney bridge tour first thing in the morning so you're the first tour. Otherwise you spend 2 hours waiting at every point of the bridge for groups in front of you.

Definitely worth the money? Climbing the bridge?
Also stayed there for shabbos? Looking for a good place to stay, don’t think park Hyatt will be good option for shabbos.

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2022, 02:19:06 AM »
Crowne plaza coogee beach was great with a car for weekdays. Got upgraded to a suite with diamond status after I pushed a little.

I didn’t go to taronga went to featherdale instead. I don’t really like zoo and featherdale seems to be a lot less like one. Seems like people like the ferry to taronga more then the zoo.

Mrs Macquaries chair for sunset is one of the best spot. Also seeing the opera and bride at night is different experience then during the day. Walk in the rocks area and check out the park Hyatt even if you’re not staying there.

If staying in bondi area I highly suggest driving to watsons bay and take the ferry to circular quay. Easiest is if you have a card with touch pay for each paying person and it calculates the fare automatically. It came out to $8-9 round trip and was very cool in itself plus best way to get to town! Use google maps for timetable which is accurate.

Bagel co is best cafe IMO. Try the cheese jalapeño bagel!
For groceries etc, coles &/or woolworths at Westfield bondi junction.
Katzys has meat pies which is supposed to be a thing but it doesn’t really compare to SA IMO.

If you do drive in Sydney be super careful with cameras!! They actually detect if you hold your phone and minimum ticket is 200 AUD. I used both Waze and radar both but technically there can be mobile ones as well.

Parking is ok in bondi area (if you’re used to city driving), you just have to look at signs, many of them have a #P like 2P means you can park free for 2 hours but if you stay longer you can get a ticket (not sure how exactly they know). I was able to manage well. Parking near downtown is already a differnce story, I suggest the ferry during the day.

For shabbos definitely check out central synagogue. Beautiful shul, nice rabbi (wolf) Supposedly the best kidush in town and also has kids program for different ages if you’re going with kids.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 02:24:27 AM by tmendy226 »

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2022, 09:31:00 AM »
Also stayed there for shabbos? Looking for a good place to stay, don’t think park Hyatt will be good option for shabbos.
Imo it was worth the money. Yes, I stayed for Shabbos at friends in Bondi Beach.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2022, 09:31:22 AM »
Crowne plaza coogee beach was great with a car for weekdays. Got upgraded to a suite with diamond status after I pushed a little.

I didn’t go to taronga went to featherdale instead. I don’t really like zoo and featherdale seems to be a lot less like one. Seems like people like the ferry to taronga more then the zoo.

Mrs Macquaries chair for sunset is one of the best spot. Also seeing the opera and bride at night is different experience then during the day. Walk in the rocks area and check out the park Hyatt even if you’re not staying there.

If staying in bondi area I highly suggest driving to watsons bay and take the ferry to circular quay. Easiest is if you have a card with touch pay for each paying person and it calculates the fare automatically. It came out to $8-9 round trip and was very cool in itself plus best way to get to town! Use google maps for timetable which is accurate.

Katzys has meat pies which is supposed to be a thing but it doesn’t really compare to SA IMO.

If you do drive in Sydney be super careful with cameras!! They actually detect if you hold your phone and minimum ticket is 200 AUD. I used both Waze and radar both but technically there can be mobile ones as well.

Parking is ok in bondi area (if you’re used to city driving), you just have to look at signs, many of them have a #P like 2P means you can park free for 2 hours but if you stay longer you can get a ticket (not sure how exactly they know). I was able to manage well. Parking near downtown is already a differnce story, I suggest the ferry during the day.

For shabbos definitely check out central synagogue. Beautiful shul, nice rabbi (wolf) Supposedly the best kidush in town and also has kids program for different ages if you’re going with kids.
Wow, a really comprehensive summary. Nice job!

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 18, 2022, 11:52:32 AM »
PH is walking distance to the Central Synagogue that has a minyan and nice choir. It worked fine for me on shabbos
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 18, 2022, 06:58:08 PM »
PH is walking distance to the Central Synagogue that has a minyan and nice choir. It worked fine for me on shabbos
Right, it just might be complicated if someone has a baby and needs an eruv to get to shul.

Offline tmendy226

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, Flying Blue petroleum, SPG Gold, National Executive, Hilton Gold
« Reply #291 on: May 18, 2022, 09:22:08 PM »

If you have IHG points, holiday inn bondi junction is in the Jewish neighborhood 10 minutes walk to the central synagogue (check if it’s in the Eiruv)

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 25, 2022, 11:01:59 AM »

It says 1:40 walk from park Hyatt… did you mean Great synogague?

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 25, 2022, 12:55:23 PM »

Maybe we can get some sort of wiki started with this?

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 10, 2022, 09:46:22 AM »
In all honesty, is park Hyatt a “must”? We definitely appreciate our fare share of fancy hotels but it is more than double any other hotel in Sydney and on points it’s for a room that doesn’t even look at the water let alone the opera house. Do they upgrade to good rooms? Definitely not spending 200k points to look at trees. Any other good hotels there? We are probably gonna spend shabbos in the hotel.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #295 on: July 10, 2022, 10:49:36 AM »
We were upgraded to an opera view room, though that was a lifetime ago. And we used FFNs, A"H.
Service was excellent.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Gvann

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 10, 2022, 11:39:08 AM »
We were upgraded to an opera view room, though that was a lifetime ago. And we used FFNs, A"H.
Service was excellent.

Regular room just looking at opera or the large room?
Also did you spend shabbos there?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #297 on: July 10, 2022, 11:43:14 AM »
Regular room just looking at opera or the large room?
Also did you spend shabbos there?
Not sure, the hotel has since been fully refurbished.
We did spend Shabbos at the PH MEL and PH SYD. There should be some ancient TRs for both on DDMS.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Sydney Master Thread
« Reply #298 on: July 10, 2022, 03:09:15 PM »
There should be some ancient TRs for both on DDMS.

"Ancient" "TRs on DDMS"

Redundant ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 10, 2022, 03:48:17 PM »

"Ancient" "TRs on DDMS"

Redundant ;)
There's old and there's ancient.