Author Topic: Google voice with obi is dead as of 5/15/14 (Decree Nullified 9/11/14)  (Read 58583 times)

Offline Name Changed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
Re: Google voice with obi is dead as of 5/14
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 02:08:19 PM »
The 2 year unlimited is only $75. They have a 30 day money back guarantee anyway, so if it's terrible at least you're not locked in all the way.
Good to know.

I just set up the 30 day trial will see how that works.

I set up with Google voice that all incoming calls should be fwd to obivoice, and I spoofed my outgoing number.

Nice feature with ObiVoice - they have working called ID (That Google Voice did not support) Caller ID works even if the call is fwded from my Google Voice number!

Offline how

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 02:53:35 PM »
Good to know.

I set up with Google voice that all incoming calls should be fwd to obivoice, and I spoofed my outgoing number.

Nice feature with ObiVoice - they have working called ID (That Google Voice did not support) Caller ID works even if the call is fwded from my Google Voice number!
Pls keep us posted how clear the line is

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 02:58:12 PM »
Good to know.

Any thoughts on my Canada issue? Do you think it's an issue to have the wrong E911 locale?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 03:02:26 PM »
For Unlimited its actually $49.99 a year.

The $39.99 plan only Includes 2,000 minutes talk time per month.

Although it was great having Google Voice and free phone service, and I saved a lot of money (I have 2 lines :) ) But I cant complain by paying only $50 a year

Wouldn't a Magic Jack line be a better deal at that point?

Happily using mine for 4+ years, $20-$30 a year for unlimited service (depending on how many years you buy at a time).
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
  • Programs: Avis Presidents Club, National Executive Elite, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum, SPG Gold, eBay Platinum
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 03:03:55 PM »
Any thoughts on my Canada issue? Do you think it's an issue to have the wrong E911 locale?
In order to set up the ObiVoice you have to set up with the correct address and city, originally when I was setting it up, I got a fail error, as E911 was not able to verify my address.

I am not sure on how to set it up in Canada, or of they support that, but if you are setting it up as if you are in the USA, then make sure to enter all the correct info, and when you select what number they should give you it should match "your" city.

I don't think once its set up for one city, it will not work in a different city / county based on the IP, but thats just a guess :)

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 03:07:24 PM »
In order to set up the ObiVoice you have to set up with the correct address and city, originally when I was setting it up, I got a fail error, as E911 was not able to verify my address.

I am not sure on how to set it up in Canada, or of they support that, but if you are setting it up as if you are in the USA, then make sure to enter all the correct info, and when you select what number they should give you it should match "your" city.

I don't think once its set up for one city, it will not work in a different city / county based on the IP, but thats just a guess :)
That's what I was going to do. The only thing is, if I ever chalila have to call 911 they will have the location of my parent's house in NYC
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2014, 03:09:32 PM »
Wouldn't a Magic Jack line be a better deal at that point?

Happily using mine for 4+ years, $20-$30 a year for unlimited service (depending on how many years you buy at a time).
I wonder. I have been happy with my obi device.

Anyone else have experience with Magic Jack?

(I have had bad experience talking to people that had magic jack, the connection was horrible)

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »
So apparently Obivoice was until very recently known as Intelafone. They changed their name to take advantage of the the whole Obi/GV thing. They are not Obihai's post-GV solution. Obihai is working on their own (link).

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2014, 04:43:02 PM »
(I have had bad experience talking to people that had magic jack, the connection was horrible)

How long ago? They've gotten a heck of a lot better IMO.

Offline Red

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 05:14:39 PM »
+1
Been using it for a few years now. Only downside I've had (besides for complete lack of CS) is that smaller phone companies such as exchange telecom in NY are blocked for outgoing, though I get around that by calling through GV. I also get automatically cut off after 15 minutes when I receive a call from said company.

Offline popcorn1508

• View Profile
  • Programs: national executive elite, hertz presidents circle
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2014, 05:34:29 PM »
+1
Been using it for a few years now. Only downside I've had (besides for complete lack of CS) is that smaller phone companies such as exchange telecom in NY are blocked for outgoing, though I get around that by calling through GV. I also get automatically cut off after 15 minutes when I receive a call from said company.
you mean you cant call  someone who uses exchage

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2014, 06:00:12 PM »
Last time was a couple of months ago.

I currently use an Obi 202 with 2 lines, I use a 2 line phone, a nice feature is that if there is an incoming call during an active call, it sends it to the 2nd line.

I see on Obivoice there is an option to pay $1 to buy an additional number, I will ask them if both lines could be used the same time.

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
Yes, to be perfectly honest that CAN happen. Its telecom politics, and thankfully it doesn't happen often.

Simple explanation: It sort of has to do with how Ymax communications (the parent company for MJ) works. Some smaller telecoms don't get alone with them due to pricing conflicts for network hops.

Longer explanation: I could be wrong about some of these details, but this is how I understand it. Ymax owns POTS infrastructure that major telecoms use to route calls. Every network "hop" is charged a fee, but most telecoms make it back when a "hop" is made in the reverse direction (calls both ways). Smaller telecoms that don't have their own infrastructure don't have the opportunity to make back as much since they are spending money on outgoing "hops" but not making it back on incoming, so they raise their fees for incoming connections to stay afloat.
Ymax's whole shtick with MJ (and why it is so cheap) is that they make money on more than just your annual service fee. VOIP doesn't have to pay the same fees that POTS hops do, and therefore they are immune to some outgoing call hop fees, but can still charge them on the way in because the parent company owns infrastructure. I've heard this described as a "roach motel" concept; the money comes in from calls hopping onto the network, but it doesn't have to come out when a call goes in the other direction. This business model seems pretty ingenious to me- we as the customers aren't charged a monthly fee, and the parent company makes enough money to keep improving the service. But the problem is those pesky smaller telecoms that charge higher fees. If they can't agree on a price that fits into the budget for Ymax/MJ's hops, they can just refuse the connection. It will still work in the other direction however, which is why they can call you.

This isn't necessarily unique to Magic Jack as I understand it. ITs telecom politics.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »
Do faxes work with MJ? how is porting in and out?

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2014, 07:23:36 PM »
Do faxes work with MJ? how is porting in and out?
The way people are describing the voice quality, I'd be shocked if fax works.

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2014, 07:34:47 PM »
Fax absolutely works. I just had to fax 38 pages of stupid paperwork for insurance (thanks Obamacare for destroying healthcare as we knew it). I was actually convinced I would have problems (most VOIP have hiccups with it) so I set the baudrate to 9600 to be safe and crossed my fingers.

It worked just fine! I've heard others didn't have as much luck, it might be more error prone at higher speeds. BTW, only one person here is complaining about sound quality. You make it sound like everyone has that complaint.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:23:47 PM by Mordy »

Offline Name Changed

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2014, 11:46:18 PM »
Fax absolutely works. I just had to fax 38 pages of stupid paperwork for insurance (thanks Obamacare for destroying healthcare as we knew it). I was actually convinced I would have problems (most VOIP have hiccups with it) so I set the baudrate to 9600 to be safe and crossed my fingers.

It worked just fine! I've heard others didn't have as much luck, it might be more error prone at higher speeds. BTW, only one person here is complaining about sound quality. You make it sound like everyone has that complaint.
I'm not be skeptical about Magic Jack, just I dont see how it will be much cheaper than Obivoice, after I already have an OBI device. Besides the fact, that I have 2 lines and I would have to purchase 2 Magic Jacks ect...

Offline Red

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2014, 07:40:42 AM »
Yes, to be perfectly honest that CAN happen. Its telecom politics, and thankfully it doesn't happen often.

Simple explanation: It sort of has to do with how Ymax communications (the parent company for MJ) works. Some smaller telecoms don't get alone with them due to pricing conflicts for network hops.

Longer explanation: I could be wrong about some of these details, but this is how I understand it. Ymax owns POTS infrastructure that major telecoms use to route calls. Every network "hop" is charged a fee, but most telecoms make it back when a "hop" is made in the reverse direction (calls both ways). Smaller telecoms that don't have their own infrastructure don't have the opportunity to make back as much since they are spending money on outgoing "hops" but not making it back on incoming, so they raise their fees for incoming connections to stay afloat.
Ymax's whole shtick with MJ (and why it is so cheap) is that they make money on more than just your annual service fee. VOIP doesn't have to pay the same fees that POTS hops do, and therefore they are immune to some outgoing call hop fees, but can still charge them on the way in because the parent company owns infrastructure. I've heard this described as a "roach motel" concept; the money comes in from calls hopping onto the network, but it doesn't have to come out when a call goes in the other direction. This business model seems pretty ingenious to me- we as the customers aren't charged a monthly fee, and the parent company makes enough money to keep improving the service. But the problem is those pesky smaller telecoms that charge higher fees. If they can't agree on a price that fits into the budget for Ymax/MJ's hops, they can just refuse the connection. It will still work in the other direction however, which is why they can call you.

This isn't necessarily unique to Magic Jack as I understand it. ITs telecom politics.
Makes sense. The interesting thing is, that they cut off my incoming calls from exchange telecom after 15 minutes. At first I thought it was just a fluke, but it happens every time. I once googled it, and sure enough I wasn't the only one with this issue. MJ of course denies such a thing exists.  ::)

Offline Red

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2014, 07:42:09 AM »
BTW, only one person here is complaining about sound quality. You make it sound like everyone has that complaint.
+1
I used to have problems when it had to connected to my computer. Since the upgrade to MJ+ I haven't had any complaints.

Offline Red

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2014, 07:45:57 AM »
you mean you cant call  someone who uses exchage
Right, it used to be outright blocked. Recently they starting allowing it if I pay for those minutes.  ::)
I make those calls by dialing through GV.