91 (28.1%)
I judge both options and usually lease.
64 (19.8%)
I judge both options and usually buy.
74 (22.8%)
I don't have a car.
24 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author Topic: Car Lease v. Buying  (Read 170072 times)

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Car Lease v. Buying
« Reply #480 on: November 15, 2016, 10:23:47 AM »
Ahhh, now you're talking like a DDFer. ;) Ok, so how does one find these deals? The typical lease deals advertised on DDMS are not like this, correct?

Check Edmonds forums to find out residuals, offers, and how much in discounts dealers are offering.

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 15, 2016, 10:35:45 AM »
Check Edmonds forums to find out residuals, offers, and how much in discounts dealers are offering.
:)

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 15, 2016, 11:42:27 AM »
Btw, one way to lower the finance charge on leases at often is worth it is through MSDs (multiple security deposit). Every financing company has different rules into what they allow, but you can save a bit (~$50/month) on financing by putting ~2k down that you will get back upon conclusion of the lease.

Offline Iz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 15, 2016, 12:05:57 PM »
Btw, one way to lower the finance charge on leases at often is worth it is through MSDs (multiple security deposit). Every financing company has different rules into what they allow, but you can save a bit (~$50/month) on financing by putting ~2k down that you will get back upon conclusion of the lease.
Good to know, but I'm leaning toward buying.

Offline mgarfin

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 19, 2017, 11:50:42 PM »
Yup, I just emailed every dealership in the state and found the cheapest and got them to deliver it.  Stress that you want to know the exact bottom line with all fees/taxes or else it will all be a waste of time.

You can also use Amex Zag: http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html
Use a fake name/email (Once you go through Zag they won't go lower than that price, hence the fake stuff) and you'll have a base line to start negotiating from once you request the bottom line zag price.  If you can't do as well as Zag then just use Zag, where you can also charge part of the car on an AMEX.

My brother used Zag and found a dealer in Baltimore where he got an 2010 Elantra for literally thousands of dollars less than the local price.  I think it was $13K out the door with tax and he got to charge part to an AMEX.  He flew to BWI, the dealer picked him up from the airport, the manager then complained about how low the price was, but my brother had a clear out-the-door quote in writing so they had to honor it.

Dan, can you explain this a bit better. What are you getting from Zag and what are you doing next?

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 19, 2017, 11:57:13 PM »
I've spoken to multiple dealers/agents this month. Is there a reason why there not telling me about this?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:00:40 AM by Yammer »

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 20, 2017, 12:04:54 AM »
Dan, can you explain this a bit better. What are you getting from Zag and what are you doing next?
+1

Also  would you mind posting all the email addresses so that I can send them as well?

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 20, 2017, 01:40:05 AM »
I've spoken to multiple dealers/agents this month. Is there a reason why there not telling me about this?

It's usually something you have to ask for. I r never had a dealer bring it up to me but also was never turned down. Check edmunds forums for details w the bank you are working with.

Note that when you're dealing with a third party bank (e.g ally), as is the case with some of the lease deals, you likely won't be able to take advantage of this. It is linked to the bank.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 20, 2017, 01:41:08 AM »
It's usually something you have to ask for. I r never had a dealer bring it up to me but also was never turned down. Check edmunds forums for details w the bank you are working with.

Note that when you're dealing with a third party bank (e.g ally), as is the case with some of the lease deals, you likely won't be able to take advantage of this. It is linked to the bank.
Got it.

Thanks

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 20, 2017, 01:42:47 AM »
And @dan, they don't *have* to honor clear out the door quotes in writing. There's always the risk with flying for a deal that you'll get a surprise, but obviously don't risk it without a clear quote in writing. For a lease, make sure to include disposition fee

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 20, 2017, 01:19:42 PM »
Yup, I just emailed every dealership in the state and found the cheapest and got them to deliver it.  Stress that you want to know the exact bottom line with all fees/taxes or else it will all be a waste of time.

Why only in-state dealers?

You can also use Amex Zag: http://amexnetwork.zag.com/main.html
Use a fake name/email (Once you go through Zag they won't go lower than that price, hence the fake stuff) and you'll have a base line to start negotiating from once you request the bottom line zag price.  If you can't do as well as Zag then just use Zag, where you can also charge part of the car on an AMEX.

Tried Zag and it only sent email to 3 dealers really close to me.

My brother used Zag and found a dealer in Baltimore where he got an 2010 Elantra for literally thousands of dollars less than the local price.  I think it was $13K out the door with tax and he got to charge part to an AMEX.  He flew to BWI, the dealer picked him up from the airport, the manager then complained about how low the price was, but my brother had a clear out-the-door quote in writing so they had to honor it.

My biggest hardship/scare of buying a car is, I"m unfamiliar with car trim versions, and don't want to get ripped off. Do I ask every dealer for a price on every version?

Offline cozmohoot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 20, 2017, 03:33:53 PM »
Do your research and find the trim that you want. Get quotes on that trim.

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 20, 2017, 04:26:14 PM »
Do your research and find the trim that you want. Get quotes on that trim.

It's a bit more confusing, say I want leather seats, but am I willing to pay 5k for it?

Offline ual902

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 20, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
It's a bit more confusing, say I want leather seats, but am I willing to pay 5k for it?

Talking from experience, I shopped for a brand new car (Camry 2016), I first went to  the big dealers to test drive and try  the different cars, then went to all the leasing dealers and went bargaining with them, I knew exactly what I wanted after doing all the test drives and I did pay an extra $2K for leather seats and a sunroof etc and I feel it  so worth it.

Offline EJB

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 21, 2017, 05:42:57 PM »
I usually negotiate w $ off the base (e.g., 5k),  then look for a car I like and negotiate for some more for the additional options (e.g., 500).

Offline Z56

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #495 on: January 21, 2017, 06:12:32 PM »
Talking from experience, I shopped for a brand new car (Camry 2016), I first went to  the big dealers to test drive and try  the different cars, then went to all the leasing dealers and went bargaining with them, I knew exactly what I wanted after doing all the test drives and I did pay an extra $2K for leather seats and a sunroof etc and I feel it  so worth it.

How much was the car ?
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 21, 2017, 10:23:09 PM »
Anyone have experience with using local leasing companies for buying? My guy claims he can get me a rockbottem price, and he will add a small markup, if it will save me hour's of work it may be worthwhile.

Offline ual902

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: January 21, 2017, 10:41:11 PM »
Anyone have experience with using local leasing companies for buying? My guy claims he can get me a rockbottem price, and he will add a small markup, if it will save me hour's of work it may be worthwhile.

Yes I have, leasing companies sell / finance cars.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 21, 2017, 10:42:17 PM »
But you'll never know. What I did was find the lowest price and then go to the Jewish dealership if he could match.
First car I bought he couldn't match.
Second car, I walk in and he says so how much you paying (he figured out the deal already). I told him my price and he agreed
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline mgarfin

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 21, 2017, 10:53:55 PM »
But you'll never know. What I did was find the lowest price and then go to the Jewish dealership if he could match.
First car I bought he couldn't match.
Second car, I walk in and he says so how much you paying (he figured out the deal already). I told him my price and he agreed

Find out how, emails to 100 dealrrs?