91 (28.1%)
I judge both options and usually lease.
64 (19.8%)
I judge both options and usually buy.
74 (22.8%)
I don't have a car.
24 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author Topic: Car Lease v. Buying  (Read 170857 times)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent

Offline Ver hut gazugt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Fuzzy Math - Personal Finances In The Frum World
« Reply #581 on: August 02, 2021, 02:34:34 PM »
I don't know the specifics of your case, but it doesn't match up with any scenario I've encountered. IME, the optimal scenario is buying a 1-3 year old car, using it for 3-5 years, and rolling into the next one.

That’s why the whole debate is not so simple. I got my last two minivan leases for about 250-270 a month now I took out a 16k for a 5 year old minivan. Did not make my first payment yet but it will be around 280-290 range. Plus my down payment and I might get a 2k 7 year parts warranty.

Offline Lurker

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #582 on: August 02, 2021, 02:59:24 PM »
That’s why the whole debate is not so simple. I got my last two minivan leases for about 250-270 a month now I took out a 16k for a 5 year old minivan. Did not make my first payment yet but it will be around 280-290 range. Plus my down payment and I might get a 2k 7 year parts warranty.

Right now, you're paying a premium for used cars. Based on the little research I did for a family member, it's more worth it to buy new than used right now. That's an anomaly created by very unusual circumstances. Usually, it's pretty simple. When you lease, you're covering the depreciation and then some, and you still don't own it when it's done.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Kobe Bryant

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 02, 2021, 03:15:03 PM »
I don't know the specifics of your case, but it doesn't match up with any scenario I've encountered. IME, the optimal scenario is buying a 2-3 year old car with cash. using it for 3 years, and rolling into the next one.
FTFM

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #584 on: August 02, 2021, 03:24:17 PM »
FTFM

I agree, usually. My window is a little bigger because I find it varies on the vehicle type and market conditions.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #585 on: August 02, 2021, 03:37:17 PM »
Actually it's very simple. Our Odyssey just turned 8. It's been essentially free for several years and will be until it has to be replaced.
I don't understand the folks with a new one every 3 years, but worse yet is that they think they're coming out ahead.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 02, 2021, 03:40:03 PM »
Actually it's very simple. Our Odyssey just turned 8. It's been essentially free for several years and will be until it has to be replaced.
I don't understand the folks with a new one every 3 years, but worse yet is that they think they're coming out ahead.
You bought it new or used?

Offline Fish Tank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 02, 2021, 03:44:50 PM »
I would say housing, tuition, and health insurance are the three largest expenses of the Jewish household, followed by food and (high standard) clothing.
What about making simchos such as weddings etc? They cost a fortune. . .

What about yom tov? Pesach isn't cheap... (I understand it can fall under the food/clothing category, but there's more to it)

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #588 on: August 02, 2021, 03:45:34 PM »

You can't bring a raya from 2021 anyway

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #589 on: August 02, 2021, 03:48:06 PM »

Sometimes there are other factors involved. I've been leasing for a few years due to other factors. By the time my last lease ended, those factors were gone, but unfortunately I didn't have the time or energy to go car shopping, so I'm stuck with another lease. Hopefully the last one.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline EliJelly

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 02, 2021, 03:51:47 PM »
Sometimes there are other factors involved. I've been leasing for a few years due to other factors. By the time my last lease ended, those factors were gone, but unfortunately I didn't have the time or energy to go car shopping, so I'm stuck with another lease. Hopefully the last one.
If you're happy with your car and you didn't abuse it much then buying it out yourself can be a great option, especially nowadays with the insane prices. And you can sell it after a few years for a nice price. Used minivans are selling high.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 02, 2021, 04:05:00 PM »
Used minivans are selling high.

Minivans usually retain value very nicely.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 02, 2021, 04:07:13 PM »
Have you done any maintenance/repairs on it? Other than typical: oil changes/tires etc?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #593 on: August 02, 2021, 04:19:19 PM »
You bought it new or used?
New.
I bought a 7 year Hondacare warranty for something like $900.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 02, 2021, 04:20:07 PM »
Have you done any maintenance/repairs on it? Other than typical: oil changes/tires etc?
A couple minor repairs covered by Hondacare, probably broke even on the warranty, which is just fine as it gave peace of mind for the period where the car actually cost something.
Warranty expired a year ago, nothing needed since then. But it's free anyway at this point, so I imagine we'll drive it until it needs major repair and then sell for what we can get for it and start again.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 02, 2021, 04:24:27 PM »
You can't bring a raya from 2021 anyway

לשיטתו

אין מביאין ראיה מדן

A couple minor repairs covered by Hondacare, probably broke even on the warranty, which is just fine as it gave peace of mind for the period where the car actually cost something.
Warranty expired a year ago, nothing needed since then. But it's free anyway at this point, so I imagine we'll drive it until it needs major repair and then sell for what we can get for it and start again.

The trick is to cut your losses optimally before the small repairs start adding up. How many miles on it?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 02, 2021, 04:26:05 PM »
A couple minor repairs covered by Hondacare
How long did the repair take; were you able to schedule it when it worked best for you?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 02, 2021, 04:27:03 PM »
How long did the repair take; were you able to schedule it when it worked best for you?
Did it together with oil changes, a couple hours tops. Easy scheduling.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 02, 2021, 04:29:58 PM »

If you sell it now before it needs repairs and still has significant value, you can lower the out of pocket cost on the van you have for the next 8 years.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 02, 2021, 04:32:36 PM »
If you sell it now before it needs repairs and still has significant value, you can lower the out of pocket cost on the van you have for the next 8 years.

What about if he expects it to still last a while without expensive repairs? The premium he'll get for it now might be a wash because he'll be paying a premium on whatever buys now because of current market prices.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)