Author Topic: United: Changing midtravel to Saver from Standard Award??  (Read 1121 times)

Offline mmsscc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
United: Changing midtravel to Saver from Standard Award??
« on: November 03, 2013, 10:07:59 AM »
f I am booking a round trip United Miles flight from NYC-TLV this month, the only way I can find a Saver for 60,000 each way is the day before the flight.

I understand that I can change my return ticket to a Saver when it becomes available, and seemingly just pay the $75 change fee. Do I just go online and cancel and rebook, or do I have to call? Also, if my return flight is when I do my free stopover in Europe, how will that play in?

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Re: United: Changing midtravel to Saver from Standard Award??
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 04:50:34 AM »
f I am booking a round trip United Miles flight from NYC-TLV this month, the only way I can find a Saver for 60,000 each way is the day before the flight.

I understand that I can change my return ticket to a Saver when it becomes available, and seemingly just pay the $75 change fee. Do I just go online and cancel and rebook, or do I have to call? Also, if my return flight is when I do my free stopover in Europe, how will that play in?

Your best bet is always to call. With enough schmoozing, they may even forget to charge the $75, or be talked out of it.

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: United: Changing midtravel to Saver from Standard Award??
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:22:35 AM »
I've read through a lot of the posts (I know no one likes repeated questions) but I'm still very unclear about united miles saver flights and canceling them.

I'm looking for a flight this summer from Europe back to Dallas on a semi specific date (July 27 so I get back before the 9 days). Anyway, I booked a pretty torturous return which cuts my trip short by 3 days. I decided to cancel it in the end because I didn't want to pay for a change if a better ticket opened up. If it makes a difference, I happen to be flying economy (and the only available savers are on partner airlines of united so unless united metal opens up, there's no chance for business).

My questions are:1) should I be worried that savers WONT open up considering its tourist season in Europe? 2) what are the official and unofficial cancelation policies on united? Can you rebook with miles? Does it need to be booked over the phone (the agent told me there was a 50-100$ fee to change dates, airlines, cities and so on) 3) if I booked the outbound flight to Europe already one way as a saver. Will I be able to book a stopover later by trying to combine both one ways by calling an agent at united?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!