Author Topic: help with lax-tlv  (Read 2352 times)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
help with lax-tlv
« on: August 21, 2010, 06:03:06 PM »
i received the following email from my bro. "we are trying to plan a trip to israel for next summer using milage.  we have a little over 100,000 miles on british airways and btwn both of us 380,000 miles on american airlines.  we want to stop in london either on the way there or back... what is our best option? i called ba and they said i can't transfer the miles to american, only use them for non-transatlantic aa flights, but they don't have many mileage tix available on any one flight (only 1 or 2 each flight), american no longer does free stopovers with mileage tickets and we would have to use 20,000 miles per person to stop over longer than 24 hours anywhere out of north america... any advice?"
theyre a family of 5 total. any help would be appreciated.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: help with lax-tlv
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 09:17:41 PM »
You should be able to use BA miles on AA TATL and vice versa very soon...hang tight.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 06:34:04 PM »
You should be able to use BA miles on AA TATL and vice versa very soon...hang tight.

Does this mean the value of my BA miles will go up? (especially if they won't charge a fuel surcharge for partner airlines to Europe...)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:37:18 PM by AsherO »
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 07:53:03 PM »
Does this mean the value of my BA miles will go up? (especially if they won't charge a fuel surcharge for partner airlines to Europe...)
Yes.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 07:56:01 PM »
Yes.

Now I have to wait for 'very soon', whenever that it...

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »
Yes.

I hope your are Right but my gut tells me BA will still charge all the Fees as they do now even if the flight is on AA.Otherwise no one will want to fly BA using Miles.And I dont see BA getting rid of those fees.

the benefit will be say you are flying to BRU so you wil be able to fly AA non-stop (ok its a 757) and save having to pay the Ridiculous London airport fees

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:00:44 PM »
I hope your are Right but my gut tells me BA will still charge all the Fees as they do now even if the flight is on AA.Otherwise no one will want to fly BA using Miles.And I dont see BA getting rid of those fees.

the benefit will be say you are flying to BRU so you wil be able to fly AA non-stop (ok its a 757) and save having to pay the Ridiculous London airport fees
Why would they add a YQ (fuel surcharge) for AA flights just because you can use BA miles to fly AA on a TATL flight?
They don't charge a YQ for any partner redemptions!

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 09:24:33 PM »
I am also excited about the possibility of another option for using AA miles to get to TLV esp BA B/F without having to pay the high fees!

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:21:21 PM »
Why would they add a YQ (fuel surcharge) for AA flights just because you can use BA miles to fly AA on a TATL flight?
They don't charge a YQ for any partner redemptions!

the US has apx 16 destinations for BA with at 1 time I think 10 or 12 flights into JFK/EWR alone. that means they were making a very nice amount of $$$ off those fees, with BA in trouble I just dont see them watching as that $$ goes bye-bye as people decide to fly AA instead in order to save that money, and to make matters worse if more people use BA miles to fly AA then AA miles to fly BA Hello One World Blocking as BA will have to pay AA alot of $$$ sort of like what UA has done

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 07:12:28 AM »
somebody offered my bro the following deal.
my bro gives him 400k aa miles, and in return, the guy will buy him the 5 tickets from la to tlv with the stopover in lhr
is this a good deal?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »
somebody offered my bro the following deal.
my bro gives him 400k aa miles, and in return, the guy will buy him the 5 tickets from la to tlv with the stopover in lhr
is this a good deal?

well @ .015 per mile that means it would cost $6000 for those 400k can they buy 5 tkts (I assume Coach) for $1200 each when they want to go. If it will cost less not such a great deal if the fare is above $1200 then its as if they are getting > .015 per mile Of cause theyw ill earn miles on their flights so that needs to be taken into the equation as well, although it wont all go into 1 acct

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 01:52:38 PM »
well @ .015 per mile that means it would cost $6000 for those 400k can they buy 5 tkts (I assume Coach) for $1200 each when they want to go. If it will cost less not such a great deal if the fare is above $1200 then its as if they are getting > .015 per mile Of cause theyw ill earn miles on their flights so that needs to be taken into the equation as well, although it wont all go into 1 acct

Another factor is that he would get miles for the 5 purchased tickets... No?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 02:01:32 PM »
Another factor is that he would get miles for the 5 purchased tickets... No?

that was my last statement, but it will go into 5 different accts and expire after 3 yrs of no activity. Had been possible to put it all into 1 acct then a no brainer but into 5 different accts is something else, unless they plan to AA again and enough to top off teh accts for a free tkt or enough to get rid of them in another way