Author Topic: AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread  (Read 451019 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread
« Reply #560 on: August 07, 2014, 11:45:36 AM »
That kind of change and they won't force open space on an alternate?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 07, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
Isn't there a later QF? Just make sure there are seats left and they'll rebook at airport. You'll probably get BA special services and make the connection anyway.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #562 on: August 07, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »
That kind of change and they won't force open space on an alternate?

US to force open a BA F flight on account of a BA change?

It's more likely they'd simply offer to open up space on a US flight. No thanks.

Isn't there a later QF? Just make sure there are seats left and they'll rebook at airport. You'll probably get BA special services and make the connection anyway.

No later QF.

You think I can just leave it as is?

Or should I be trying to change the outbound to JL or CX F?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 07, 2014, 12:01:12 PM »
Dunno, depends how much you mind spending a day in London on the way
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #564 on: August 07, 2014, 12:04:41 PM »
Dunno, depends how much you mind spending a day in London on the way

If I didn't mind (AND I didn't have a connection in DXB, which I do), they'd just put me on the next QF flight?

(Technically, the next QF flight is on EK metal the next day at 9 AM, but the next actual QF flight is 12:35 PM the next day, and that 12+ hour difference would cause me to miss my DXB connection.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 12:08:18 PM by AJK »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 07, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »
I guess I'd consider taking the new F on AAs new 77W.

Think they'd force open space?

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 07, 2014, 12:21:18 PM »
I guess I'd consider taking the new F on AAs new 77W.

Think they'd force open space?
Yes
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 07, 2014, 12:28:22 PM »
Hmmm...

(i) Try and force open AA 77W;
(ii) Try and simply fly the other way using CX/JL F; or
(iii) Just go for it and hope BA special services can save the day in a terminal known for being an absolute disaster.

The options above get increasingly more attractive to me as I go down the list  ;D

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #568 on: August 07, 2014, 12:42:34 PM »
A good US rep can get a OneWorld liaison on the phone to get BA to open space due to a change like that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 07, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »
A good US rep
sounds like an oxymoron

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: August 08, 2014, 08:58:33 AM »
And.....?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 08, 2014, 09:06:32 AM »
Still haven't decided. Even tho I am sure that flight is blocked for longer than the actual flight time, most people I ask say an hour connection at LHR ain't gonna happen. And I'm not familiar enough with whatever BA special services is to know if they can make it happen.

Also, doesn't seem like US has any real incentive to open another BA or AA (neither of which have availability ATM).

Perhaps I'll wait to close in and either do CX F JFK-HKG or a combination JFK-LAX-HKG on AA F and CX F.

Offline Yehoshua

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 08, 2014, 09:28:30 AM »
Still haven't decided. Even tho I am sure that flight is blocked for longer than the actual flight time, most people I ask say an hour connection at LHR ain't gonna happen. And I'm not familiar enough with whatever BA special services is to know if they can make it happen.

Also, doesn't seem like US has any real incentive to open another BA or AA (neither of which have availability ATM).

Perhaps I'll wait to close in and either do CX F JFK-HKG or a combination JFK-LAX-HKG on AA F and CX F.
FWIW I had only and hour in FRA and they met me and 9 others making  the connection at the plane and drove us right to our gate with priority customs.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 08, 2014, 09:31:37 AM »
Sounds like it's theoretically possible, but the question is, if I don't make the connection, would they rebook me in LHR on the next QF flight the following morning?

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 08, 2014, 11:30:36 AM »
Sounds like it's theoretically possible, but the question is, if I don't make the connection, would they rebook me in LHR on the next QF flight the following morning?
They will re-book you at the airport. No question about it.

You chances of US getting another carrier to open space is close to 0. Unless you have a few extra days, and you're ready to spend 30-40 hours on the phone.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 08, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »
If there's space...

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 08, 2014, 11:35:37 AM »
If there's space...
Qantas F doesn't sell out 98% of the time (due to the lack of discounted booking methods / award - upgrade space), especially on that route.
They do upgrade people last minute, but 24 hours prior, your chances are really good.

If QF F wouldn't be available. BA would likely put you on their own metal. They might even do that here in NY to avoid potential problems.

In any event, don't waste your time now with changes. Just arrive to the airport as an innocent passenger.

My 2C
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 08, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »

You chances of US getting another carrier to open space is close to 0. Unless you have a few extra days, and you're ready to spend 30-40 hours on the phone.

LOL

Well, if I do miss my connection, and if they do rebook me upon arrival in LHR, would it only be on the very next QF-operated flight, which is the next day at 12:35 PM? If so, I'd miss my 5:55 PM DXB-HKG flight... then what?

Any chance they'd book me on the EK-operated QF flight at 9:10 AM?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 08, 2014, 11:41:52 AM »
Qantas F doesn't sell out 98% of the time (due to the lack of discounted booking methods / award - upgrade space), especially on that route.
They do upgrade people last minute, but 24 hours prior, your chances are really good.

If QF F wouldn't be available. BA would likely put you on their own metal. They might even do that here in NY to avoid potential problems.

In any event, don't waste your time now with changes. Just arrive to the airport as an innocent passenger.

My 2C

24 hours prior to departure JFK-LHR my chances are good for what? For them to rebook me on the next QF flight? In NY?

Also, I definitely don't want to be switched from QF F to BA F, if I can avoid it.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 11, 2014, 03:29:41 PM »
May have to skip MLE in light of the SQ R AKL bonanza, which I just booked.

Now, just need to change first leg of trip to CX F, and I'll be doing:

JFK-HKG-SYD in CX F and J
AKL-SIN-DXB-LHR-JFK in SQ R, SQ F, QF F, and BA F.