Author Topic: AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread  (Read 442777 times)

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread
« Reply #1320 on: May 29, 2015, 05:15:58 PM »
I'd rather not waste 22.5K UA on a sub 2 hour flight... if only there was a cheap Y fare, but it's not looking good.
I find it funny that some flights like SIN-HKG can be dirt cheap at like $75 OW for a 4 hour flight while other flights like this are super expensive with no LCCs flying the route.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 29, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »
Anyone got ideas for the best way to book PEK-ICN?
KE/DL

Should also be hidden city fares considering ICN is a hub.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1322 on: May 30, 2015, 11:30:54 PM »
Tried looking for hidden city, as I also realized ICN is a hub. Wasn't terribly successful, but I'll look again.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1323 on: May 31, 2015, 04:27:02 PM »
It's actually mind boggling that more people redeeming award tickets don't get stranded in foreign places.

I booked CNS-HTI on QF for 4500 Avios/pax  about two weeks ago and was told "it's going to be sent for manual processing" and you'll get a confirmation email.

Most people would assume they're fine. And most people would go on with their lives. And most people would get stuck in CNS.

I've called back no less than 4-5 times to make sure the booking gets ticketed and each time BA said: "Oh, it'll will be done in 24-48 hours, not to worry!"

So, today, after nearly two weeks, I check the status of the ticket and I see this:

:o :o :o :o

So not only is the booking not ticketed (as I found out from CheckMyTrip), somehow the date has changed by 4 months, the origin has changed and the destination has changed!

Instead of flying the below red route for 4500 Avios/pax, they had me booked on the yellow route (that should cost 25K Avios/pax):

Finally, after an hour on the phone today I won the lottery by being able to speak to a  BA *ticketing agent* who, after a bit of back and forth, was able to fix it. Luckily, the award space was not gone, otherwise I probably would have been out of luck.

I feel for the people who don't know they have to do this kind of stuff... crazy.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 31, 2015, 04:38:40 PM »
It's actually mind boggling that more people redeeming award tickets don't get stranded in foreign places.

I booked CNS-HTI on QF for 4500 Avios/pax  about two weeks ago and was told "it's going to be sent for manual processing" and you'll get a confirmation email.

Most people would assume they're fine. And most people would go on with their lives. And most people would get stuck in CNS.

I've called back no less than 4-5 times to make sure the booking gets ticketed and each time BA said: "Oh, it'll will be done in 24-48 hours, not to worry!"

So, today, after nearly two weeks, I check the status of the ticket and I see this:

:o :o :o :o

So not only is the booking not ticketed (as I found out from CheckMyTrip), somehow the date has changed by 4 months, the origin has changed and the destination has changed!

Instead of flying the below red route for 4500 Avios/pax, they had me booked on the yellow route (that should cost 25K Avios/pax):

Finally, after an hour on the phone today I won the lottery by being able to speak to a  BA *ticketing agent* who, after a bit of back and forth, was able to fix it. Luckily, the award space was not gone, otherwise I probably would have been out of luck.

I feel for the people who don't know they have to do this kind of stuff... crazy.
Wow, that's crazy. It'd've been crazier if you could have made the Delhi - LHR work out in your travel plans for only 4500 avios and get CNS-HTI as well.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1325 on: May 31, 2015, 04:42:22 PM »
Nah.
Most people would see HTI isn't on BA.com and assume it couldn't be booked with Avios.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 31, 2015, 04:51:30 PM »
Wow, that's crazy. It'd've been crazier if you could have made the Delhi - LHR work out in your travel plans for only 4500 avios and get CNS-HTI as well.

Coulda been nice, but no way for me to make that work.

Nah.
Most people would see HTI isn't on BA.com and assume it couldn't be booked with Avios.

True, but the point remains the same... this isn't specific about HTI...

I can't imagine that most people check their bookings like the more experienced DDF'er.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 31, 2015, 05:22:58 PM »
FYI

Doesn't seem CheapoAir collects YQ on JQ flights...

Just saved $175.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 31, 2015, 06:31:56 PM »
Wow, that's a great data point! Thanks for sharing!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 01, 2015, 10:58:42 PM »
Anyone know if it's possible to "negotiate" with the hosts on airbnb and/or vrbo, or the price offered set in stone?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1330 on: June 01, 2015, 10:59:50 PM »
Of course it is.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 01, 2015, 11:15:55 PM »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 01, 2015, 11:20:51 PM »
Excellent, thanks.

Offline Emkay

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 02, 2015, 02:36:49 AM »
Anyone know if it's possible to "negotiate" with the hosts on airbnb and/or vrbo, or the price offered set in stone?
I have booked with Airbnb many times and I only paid the asking rate once when I booked it right before the stay and didn't want to risk it getting booked

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #1334 on: June 02, 2015, 09:35:28 AM »
I did, on the timings. Did a rental 10am to 8pm same day

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
« Reply #1335 on: June 03, 2015, 11:15:41 AM »
ANA can't book one-way...

And I can get CA J lie-flat for 22.5K UA...
CA J is not lie flat.
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: June 03, 2015, 11:19:19 AM »
CA J is not lie flat.

OK, if you say so.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 09, 2015, 02:53:34 PM »
Beautiful day for spotting Mt. Rainier.

Offline Marco Polo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 09, 2015, 02:54:04 PM »
Beautiful day to be flying some premium cabins :)
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: June 09, 2015, 03:13:05 PM »
Beautiful day to be flying some premium cabins :)
Which ones to where?