Author Topic: AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread  (Read 442890 times)

Online AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread
« Reply #2200 on: January 28, 2018, 01:46:47 PM »
Go to Morocco

How long would you suggest someone go for?  Looks to be a bit chilly there now, and Feb doesn't seem to be a great season for anything...

https://www.onthegotours.com/us/Morocco/Best-time-to-visit
https://www.tripsavvy.com/best-time-to-visit-morocco-1454429
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2201 on: January 28, 2018, 01:54:07 PM »
What's the advantage of HNL over an island you haven't been to like ITO/KOA/MKK/LNY?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: January 28, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »
Zika?
No zika in Chile. I'd go to BsAs as @Dan suggested. It's a great food city, lots to do, no need to prep at all, even food.

Online AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2203 on: January 28, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
What's the advantage of HNL over an island you haven't been to like ITO/KOA/MKK/LNY?

None, I just recall you suggesting HNL in the past as a great place to spend a week...

Are the others better?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: January 28, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
No zika in Chile. I'd go to BsAs as @Dan suggested. It's a great food city, lots to do, no need to prep at all, even food.

Chile ≠ BsAs.

Santiago/Patagonia, in Chile, does not have Zika, which is why we originally booked there.

BsAs, in *Argentina*, does. What am I missing?

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2205 on: January 28, 2018, 02:42:13 PM »
Chile ≠ BsAs.

Santiago/Patagonia, in Chile, does not have Zika, which is why we originally booked there.

Nothing. I should have been more clear, the to come inside nothing to do with each other. I know BsAs is in Argentina, I was there. My point was in just mentioning that Buenos Aires is good place to visit.

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: January 28, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »
Chile ≠ BsAs.

The CDC map colors the entire country, even if there's just one area with Zika, AFAIK. Just look at the Argentinian side of Patagonia and you'll see it's purple as well...

Last I checked there was no local Zika transmission in Buenos Aires, just in the north of the country. I'd look into it, great foodie city.
Exactly.

Online AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: January 28, 2018, 02:47:38 PM »
Nothing. I should have been more clear, the to come inside nothing to do with each other. I know BsAs is in Argentina, I was there. My point was in just mentioning that Buenos Aires is good place to visit.

"the to come inside nothing" ?

I agree that BsAs is a good place to visit, but so is Turks and Caicos, Belize, and Cancun, but alas, all of them (appear to?) break the rules: zika.

The CDC map colors the entire country, even if there's just one area with Zika, AFAIK. Just look at the Argentinian side of Patagonia and you'll see it's purple as well...

How does one determine *where* in a purple country one can go??

Offline Abelefko1

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: January 28, 2018, 02:52:41 PM »
"the to come inside nothing" ?

I agree that BsAs is a good place to visit, but so is Turks and Caicos, Belize, and Cancun, but alas, all of them (appear to?) break the rules: zika.

Problem is that a lot of these places don’t report correctly, as they don’t want to hurt tourism...my friend tried calling the cdc about a trip to Thailand and that’s what they told him

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: January 28, 2018, 02:53:42 PM »
By doing your own research I suppose.

A quick google search brought up this, which seems to indicate no Zika in BsAs, but it's a couple of months old, so perhaps you should find something a bit more recent.

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: January 28, 2018, 03:01:01 PM »
Not that you can make much of it, but both countries bordering Argentina at that latitude (Uruguay to the east, and Chile to the west) do not have any zika cases.

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: January 28, 2018, 03:12:44 PM »
IIWY, I'd split the trip between EZE and either PDP/BRC/FTE/CJC depending on the objective.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2212 on: January 28, 2018, 03:46:26 PM »
None, I just recall you suggesting HNL in the past as a great place to spend a week...

Are the others better?
ITO/KOA definitely has more to offer than HNL.
Never been to MKK/LNY.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: January 28, 2018, 04:02:12 PM »
Problem is that a lot of these places don’t report correctly, as they don’t want to hurt tourism...my friend tried calling the cdc about a trip to Thailand and that’s what they told him

Right, that's part of my concern. And, even if they are reporting correctly, it's just not worth the risk, even if small.

Not that you can make much of it, but both countries bordering Argentina at that latitude (Uruguay to the east, and Chile to the west) do not have any zika cases.

As of now, I have tix to SCL, but I don't believe it's known as a beach destination, and neither of us are in the mood to run around like mad men, which Patagonia in a week would require.

Bah.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: January 28, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »
Which confirms to me that it's only found in the more northerly points of AR. I don't think it's possible that it's not in Uruguay, but is in EZE a few miles away.

Online AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: January 28, 2018, 04:09:15 PM »
Which confirms to me that it's only found in the more northerly points of AR. I don't think it's possible that it's not in Uruguay, but is in EZE a few miles away.

Seems odd to me, too, and BsAs has looooong be on the ol' list, but can't substitute my chochma in place of the CDCs where the life of a baby is concerned.

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: January 28, 2018, 04:10:33 PM »
As of now, I have tix to SCL, but I don't believe it's known as a beach destination, and neither of us are in the mood to run around like mad men, which Patagonia in a week would require.

Bah.
1. That depends on what / how much of Patagonia you do.
2. PDP.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: January 28, 2018, 04:10:44 PM »
Seems odd to me, too, and BsAs has looooong be on the ol' list, but can't substitute my chochma in place of the CDCs where the life of a baby is concerned.
Then why go to MLE?

Personally, I'd go to EZE or MLE. But that's just based on my own research and logic, not the CDCs. No doc will tell you otherwise, not worth the lawsuit.
But I mean, look at that map. There's no wall keeping the mossies out of Uruguay a few miles away from EZE.

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: January 28, 2018, 04:16:01 PM »
The CDC isn't saying otherwise is what I'm trying to say. I mean, we agree the CDC doesn't believe there's zika in USH, right?

Online AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: January 28, 2018, 04:17:00 PM »
1. That depends on what / how much of Patagonia you do.
2. PDP.

1. What would use use as a nice base? What would you recommend are the must-sees/dos?

2. Have you been? Any ideas how customs are with food? Any Kosher there?