Author Topic: Alaska Master Thread  (Read 84879 times)

Offline sholom35

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Alaska Master Thread
« Reply #480 on: May 21, 2019, 08:04:29 PM »
After reading this thread  I still have a few questions
1) how bad is McCarthy road by wrangell st elias park?
And do I have to drive all the way to the end to experience it?
2)can I do the katmai flight to see the bears and lake Clark in one day?
https://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisit/driving-park-roads.htm

Offline lansky

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 21, 2019, 10:40:20 PM »
"Enterprise Rental Cars - When you book with us, request our special McCarthy Lodge Guest code Ė Enterprise Rental car will waive the McCArthy Road restriction when you stay with us at McCarthy Lodge. Use the local Alaska number: 1 907 563-5050 to get approval for the McCarthy Road when staying at the McCarthy Lodge!
In Anchorage & Fairbanks: Go North Alaska Travel Center offers 4 wheel drive vehicles that are allowed on the Mccarthy Road. Call 866-236-7272 or (907) 479-7272.
Budget Rent a Car also allows their 4-wheel & SUV vehicles on the McCarthy Road WITH PRIOR APPROVAL FROM BUDGET."

I understand that most rental cars won't let however I'm just asking if anybody took the road and what was their experience? And is there a difference between katmai no and lake Clark np?
I wish I had more time but I have a week or 8 days so I'm trying to pack it in because  I may never have another chance

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 22, 2019, 10:57:10 AM »
I understand that most rental cars won't let however I'm just asking if anybody took the road and what was their experience? And is there a difference between katmai no and lake Clark np?
I wish I had more time but I have a week or 8 days so I'm trying to pack it in because  I may never have another chance
After speaking to a ranger at Wrangell, I decided not to go there at that time, can't help you with that. Regarding Katmai vs. Lake Clark, Katmai has a viewing platform right by the falls that had double doors to keep bears out. Lake Clark does not appear to have that and you'd have to be more on guard, paying attention to the bears' body language. 

The NPS websites for these parks list authorized concessioners.  Perhaps you can find one on that will be willing to custom-design an itinerary that will fit your needs, if money is not an issue.
AK,AZ,CA,CT,(DE),FL,HI,(IL),ME,MD,(MA),MI,MN,MT,NV,NH,NJ,NY,OR,PA,(RI),TX,UT,VT,VA,WA,WI,WY

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 22, 2019, 11:01:14 AM »
We also didn't take a chance on the road into Wrangell. We were coming down from Fairbanks and spent the night in the area and enjoyed beautiful views in the area as well as the visitor center, and then headed back to Anchorage the following day. We didn't spend the $ to fly in to see the bears, but we had a list of several places likely to see them, and we had one cross the road just behind our rental, about 10 feet away. We also did a short hike to a river where we saw the salmon jumping, but unfortunately no bears eating at that time.

Offline lansky

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 22, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »
Thanks for the info. Where did you stay near wrangell?

Offline Traveler718

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 22, 2019, 04:42:14 PM »
Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge, but try to make sure you get a view room - half of the rooms have stunning mountain views, and half see nothing but the parking lot. Unfortunately we got the parking lot. But they have an amazing indoor lounge with the mountains framed through massive windows, and a nice outdoor sitting area to watch sunset.

Offline NRust

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: May 22, 2019, 09:33:12 PM »
I read through the whole thread and someone mentioned a flight tour out of soldotna to see the grizzly bears. Does anyone know the name of the company that offers the tour from there?

Offline NRust

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 23, 2019, 06:31:10 PM »
Did anyone fly to Katmai/brooks fall? I am looking to go in the end of August and am seeing mixed reviews about whether there are bears at the falls at that time of year. Iím looking for first hand experience of someone who was there at that time.

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 24, 2019, 10:59:30 AM »
Did anyone fly to Katmai/brooks fall? I am looking to go in the end of August and am seeing mixed reviews about whether there are bears at the falls at that time of year. Iím looking for first hand experience of someone who was there at that time.
Eh.  One person's experience won't give much info, which is why you're seeing mixed reviews.  Call and speak to a ranger, someone who has seen what it's like that time of year, over many years.  Or try the Katmai webpage, which likely has the info.

nps.gov/katm

ETA: https://www.nps.gov/katm/planyourvisit/bear-watching.htm
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 11:02:44 AM by SSLPhD »
AK,AZ,CA,CT,(DE),FL,HI,(IL),ME,MD,(MA),MI,MN,MT,NV,NH,NJ,NY,OR,PA,(RI),TX,UT,VT,VA,WA,WI,WY

Offline shulem92

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: August 13, 2019, 12:14:18 PM »
anyone have a toursaver book that they already used what they need?

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: August 13, 2019, 12:28:02 PM »
i am possibly going for 3 days to ANC. day 1 we are chartering a boat and going fishing. day 2 the others are going bear watching, but that is sold out for me. day 3 we are going dog sledding on glacier.
what is the most worth it for me to do alone on day 2 when the others are bear watching?

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: August 18, 2019, 01:57:44 AM »
i am possibly going for 3 days to ANC. day 1 we are chartering a boat and going fishing. day 2 the others are going bear watching, but that is sold out for me. day 3 we are going dog sledding on glacier.
what is the most worth it for me to do alone on day 2 when the others are bear watching?
so i got the choices down to 2 options. bear watching or a cruise to see the glaciers. what is the must-do? bear (pun intended) in mind that i am going dogsledding on a glacier, so i will see some glacier action...
if anyone sees this, please respond soon, because the trip is monday! thanx

Offline Big4Flyer

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: August 19, 2019, 03:47:21 AM »
so i got the choices down to 2 options. bear watching or a cruise to see the glaciers. what is the must-do? bear (pun intended) in mind that i am going dogsledding on a glacier, so i will see some glacier action...

If you're going dogsledding on a glacier, you will see it much more intimately than you would if you go on one of the boat tours (like the 26 glacier tour, or similar).  I would absolutely do one of the bear watching trips, but be sure to read the reviews of the operator you go with, since some will bring you to where they are known to congregate (i.e. Brooks Falls-type places), whereas others you're taking much more of a chance.

Offline lansky

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 22, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
Sorry for responding now just came back  now I dint do the dogsleding on the glacier but I did the tour and climbed the glaicer however I the think the bear watching in katmi park was the best of these options

Offline lansky

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 22, 2019, 10:26:51 PM »
Another thing I want to point out is the glacier tours landing on mt. McKinney it's made out to be that all their flights (talkeetna air taxi)
End up doing the landing however when we were there for 2 days they only landed once of all their scheduled flight and claimed the second day would be better weather they also said at the location that about 30% do actually land that are scheduled too and of course they dint call us to tell us before that it wont be happening in the timeframe they knew