Author Topic: Alaska Master Thread  (Read 189374 times)

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile

Offline Luvisrael

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Alaska Master Thread
« Reply #441 on: January 23, 2018, 06:45:15 AM »
CNN
Tsunami warning in effect after magnitude-7.9 earthquake off Alaska

"If you are located in this coastal area, move inland to higher ground," the Anchorage Office of Emergency Management said. "Tsunami warnings mean that a tsunami with significant inundation is possible or is already occurring. Tsunamis are a series of waves dangerous many hours after initial arrival time. The first wave may not be the largest."

Offline Padle

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 08, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »
Has anyone done Alaska with a 2-year-old? We plan on a ten-day trip.

Offline jonesy

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 08, 2018, 04:20:08 PM »
Has anyone done Alaska with a 2-year-old? We plan on a ten-day trip.

IMO might be difficult with a 2 year old. I did Alaska for a few days with my older boys (14 and 11). Most things in Alaska involve hiking, fishing, glaciers, etc., so may be difficult for a 2 year old.

Offline Padle

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 08, 2018, 04:40:57 PM »
Yah I know it might be difficult, but I had the miles and my son will be turning 2 soon after the trip, taking advantage of his last free flight:)

So just looking for what can be done...

Online Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 12, 2018, 12:16:57 AM »
We spent an amazing 2 weeks there when our youngest was about 9 months and were able to do just about everything we wanted.

Offline Padle

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 13, 2018, 12:04:55 AM »
Can you post your itinerary or the things you did there? Better yet a TR:)

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 13, 2018, 11:48:57 AM »
IMO might be difficult with a 2 year old. I did Alaska for a few days with my older boys (14 and 11). Most things in Alaska involve hiking, fishing, glaciers, etc., so may be difficult for a 2 year old.

Anywhere is difficult with a 2 year old. 

You can hike with 2 year old in a carrier. Actually easier than a 4 year old.

Offline Padle

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 13, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »
2 is difficult anywhere   ;D ;D ;D ;D

We have done quite a few hikes with him, we did a 9-mile hike when he was 9 months, but he was mostly in a stroller. Last year we did northern California, we had him in a baby carrier, I think the longest hike we did was 3 miles though. This year he will be heavier and I am not sure if our baby bajorn which is a front carrier is the best. He can walk, but not more than a mile at a time...

No having been to Alaska, I just don't know about all the activities for him, will he be able to handle those rocky 8-hour cruise boats? A flight? Matanuska Glacier?

I would love to hear from someone who did Alaska with a baby... And from someone who has done hiking with a two-year-old what carrier they used. I tried on one of those back carriers where they sit, but it was really uncomfortable... Could be the brand

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 13, 2018, 12:44:16 PM »

We have done quite a few hikes with him, we did a 9-mile hike when he was 9 months, but he was mostly in a stroller. Last year we did northern California, we had him in a baby carrier, I think the longest hike we did was 3 miles though. This year he will be heavier and I am not sure if our baby bajorn which is a front carrier is the best. He can walk, but not more than a mile at a time...

No having been to Alaska, I just don't know about all the activities for him, will he be able to handle those rocky 8-hour cruise boats? A flight? Matanuska Glacier?

I would love to hear from someone who did Alaska with a baby... And from someone who has done hiking with a two-year-old what carrier they used. I tried on one of those back carriers where they sit, but it was really uncomfortable... Could be the brand

I like the osprey poco. I had the poco plus.  I added a bug net

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #450 on: July 13, 2018, 12:53:54 PM »

1) Check out alaska.org for ideas on general things to do.

2) There are two main coupon books.  You can see what's included on their websites.  toursaver.com (half price now) and alaska-discounts.com

3) Call the places you want to do things with and find out their policies regarding 2 year olds.

4) Take a good stroller, with large wheels

5) Backpack carriers are good for 2 year olds.  We used a Kelty.  Just make sure it is adjusted well.  It shouldn't hang at all.

6) Shorter cruises are available, but if you want to do a longer one, do it early in your trip, when kiddo is going to be jetlagged and more likely to sleep through the boring parts.
44/50, 46/63

Offline GAM Z.

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 13, 2018, 12:56:18 PM »

I have hiked matanuska glacier( without a kid) and I can't see it working out while carrying a kid.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 14, 2018, 07:14:58 PM »
United will be starting daily Newark (EWR) to Anchorage (ANC) service from Thursday June 20th.

UA1747 EWR to ANC departing 3:50PM arriving 4:40PM

UA1748 ANC to EWR departing 8:50PM arriving 5:20AM

Flights will be on the 757-200 with 16 lie-flat seats in J.

The past few years, flights EWR-ANC were Saturday only.

Offline lansky

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 21, 2019, 06:14:49 PM »
After reading this thread  I still have a few questions
1) how bad is McCarthy road by wrangell st elias park?
And do I have to drive all the way to the end to experience it?
2)can I do the katmai flight to see the bears and lake Clark in one day?

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 21, 2019, 07:47:21 PM »
McCarthy Road is explicitly forbidden by most of the rental car companies.  I spoke with a ranger at Wrangell that said there were Mom and Pop type places in Anchorage that allow it.  I think I saw one place listed on alaska.org.  That is an excellent resource.  There are also companies that will drive you out there for the day, or fly you out.  I can't see a reason to do only part of the road.

Katmai and Lake Clark in a day? No.  I only know of day trip and overnight options to Katmai, but that may have changed since I was there. Why the rush?
44/50, 46/63

Offline sholom35

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 21, 2019, 08:04:29 PM »
https://www.nps.gov/wrst/planyourvisit/driving-park-roads.htm

Offline lansky

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 21, 2019, 10:40:20 PM »
"Enterprise Rental Cars - When you book with us, request our special McCarthy Lodge Guest code – Enterprise Rental car will waive the McCArthy Road restriction when you stay with us at McCarthy Lodge. Use the local Alaska number: 1 907 563-5050 to get approval for the McCarthy Road when staying at the McCarthy Lodge!
In Anchorage & Fairbanks: Go North Alaska Travel Center offers 4 wheel drive vehicles that are allowed on the Mccarthy Road. Call 866-236-7272 or (907) 479-7272.
Budget Rent a Car also allows their 4-wheel & SUV vehicles on the McCarthy Road WITH PRIOR APPROVAL FROM BUDGET."

I understand that most rental cars won't let however I'm just asking if anybody took the road and what was their experience? And is there a difference between katmai no and lake Clark np?
I wish I had more time but I have a week or 8 days so I'm trying to pack it in because  I may never have another chance

Offline SSLPhD

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 22, 2019, 10:57:10 AM »
I understand that most rental cars won't let however I'm just asking if anybody took the road and what was their experience? And is there a difference between katmai no and lake Clark np?
I wish I had more time but I have a week or 8 days so I'm trying to pack it in because  I may never have another chance
After speaking to a ranger at Wrangell, I decided not to go there at that time, can't help you with that. Regarding Katmai vs. Lake Clark, Katmai has a viewing platform right by the falls that had double doors to keep bears out. Lake Clark does not appear to have that and you'd have to be more on guard, paying attention to the bears' body language. 

The NPS websites for these parks list authorized concessioners.  Perhaps you can find one on that will be willing to custom-design an itinerary that will fit your needs, if money is not an issue.
44/50, 46/63

Online Traveler718

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 22, 2019, 11:01:14 AM »
We also didn't take a chance on the road into Wrangell. We were coming down from Fairbanks and spent the night in the area and enjoyed beautiful views in the area as well as the visitor center, and then headed back to Anchorage the following day. We didn't spend the $ to fly in to see the bears, but we had a list of several places likely to see them, and we had one cross the road just behind our rental, about 10 feet away. We also did a short hike to a river where we saw the salmon jumping, but unfortunately no bears eating at that time.

Offline lansky

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 22, 2019, 02:59:41 PM »
Thanks for the info. Where did you stay near wrangell?