Author Topic: JFK-FRA & FRA-TLV  (Read 5215 times)

Offline moshegold

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
JFK-FRA & FRA-TLV
« on: August 22, 2010, 11:45:39 PM »
I booked a ticket using Delta miles going from JFK-FRA & returning from TLV-JFK in business for 110K skymiles, I then booked a one way AA award on El Al from FRA-TLV in business for 30K miles. I wanted to know if anyone had any experiance with checking baggage from JFK straight to TLV even if its 2 seperate itineraries

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: JFK-FRA & FRA-TLV
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 11:55:53 PM »
I booked a ticket using Delta miles going from JFK-FRA & returning from TLV-JFK in business for 110K skymiles, I then booked a one way AA award on El Al from FRA-TLV in business for 30K miles. I wanted to know if anyone had any experiance with checking baggage from JFK straight to TLV even if its 2 seperate itineraries
As long as you have both itineraries printed and a legal connection time it shouldn't be a problem to check the bags all the way through.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:21:02 AM »
As long as you have both itineraries printed and a legal connection time it shouldn't be a problem to check the bags all the way through.
are u sure about this, its 2 separate tkts and 2 different Alliances. I dont think its a Slam Dunk and if DL wont tag it all the way thru then be prepared to pay LY for taking anything more then 1 bag and I think up to 32 kilo

Offline moshegold

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:22:47 AM »
Dan, I want to thank you for this trip, cause this trip was only made possible thru me reading your blog since it was ctownbochur.blogspot.com

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 12:37:46 AM »
are u sure about this, its 2 separate tkts and 2 different Alliances. I dont think its a Slam Dunk and if DL wont tag it all the way thru then be prepared to pay LY for taking anything more then 1 bag and I think up to 32 kilo
I've never had a problem doing it with multiple tickets in different alliances, although granted that I've yet to step on an El Al plane.  Perhaps they have stricter rules?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:50:52 AM »
I've never had a problem doing it with multiple tickets in different alliances, although granted that I've yet to step on an El Al plane.  Perhaps they have stricter rules?

I know numerous people that were told at check-in in NY that they will have to claim their bags and then take them over to XX and check them in with them,since there were 2 different tkts involved, and they wont tag them all the way thru.

I tried doing it once it was BA connecting to BA but 2 tkts and in TLV they Refused to tag them all the way thru.Flew the next day on KLM instead, and it was cheaper then paying BA what they asked for in fees.

Ive heard too many stories of people not getting away with it that its not even an option for me any longer

Sort of OT but I spoke with Swiss today since Im flying them to TLV for Succos,I was told as a *G (which she confirmed by putting in my acct ) that in coach I was allowed 2 bags of 70 lbs and 1 carry-on of 17 lbs. I asked what if i was flying CO or UA to ZRH and connecting to Swiss, she said she believed I could then take 3 bags @ 70 lbs but if I was flying Swiss out of TLV I would be charged for the 3rd bag even thou CO or UA wouldnt charge me for it from ZRH

So the Key is getting it tagged in NY all the way to TLV and I doubt LY will charge for it since its being Interlined, but if DL wont tag it all the way then Im positive LY will charge for anything over what they allow for

Offline Monsey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 01:08:33 AM »
I booked on orbitz last year for succos phl-mxp on us air and mxp-tlv on el al when i checked in phl the agent said that in the us air system it doesnt recognize my mxp-tlv flight but since i had the printed itinerary she checked the bags through to tlv (this might be a little different because i booked it on orbitz as one ticket and it was one itinerary as opposed to the op which has 2 separate itineraries)

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 01:44:03 AM »
I booked on orbitz last year for succos phl-mxp on us air and mxp-tlv on el al when i checked in phl the agent said that in the us air system it doesnt recognize my mxp-tlv flight but since i had the printed itinerary she checked the bags through to tlv (this might be a little different because i booked it on orbitz as one ticket and it was one itinerary as opposed to the op which has 2 separate itineraries)

yep, you had 1 tkt that is the Key.If its 2 different tkts then they dont have to tag them all the way thru, and thats where a person is rolling the dice

Offline world2see

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 01:50:20 AM »
i had 3 separate itineraries, the first 2 with thai airways from phuket-bangkok and than from bangkok to frankfurt and than from frankfurt to tel aviv,when i checked in in phuket i showed them  a printout of our itinerary and they had no problem forwarding our bags all the way thru to tel aviv!

Offline world2see

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 01:50:48 AM »
it was 2 seperate tickets

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 02:12:07 AM »
yep, you had 1 tkt that is the Key.If its 2 different tkts then they dont have to tag them all the way thru, and thats where a person is rolling the dice
I've had 2 separate tickets at least a dozen times and have yet to have a problem checking all the way to the final destination.
I guess your mileage appears to vary more than mine in this case  ;)

If you don't have a printout of the itinerary though you have a 0.01% chance of getting it checked through.  Same applies if you have an extended layover in the connecting city.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 04:02:33 AM »
I've had 2 separate tickets at least a dozen times and have yet to have a problem checking all the way to the final destination.
I guess your mileage appears to vary more than mine in this case  ;)

If you don't have a printout of the itinerary though you have a 0.01% chance of getting it checked through.  Same applies if you have an extended layover in the connecting city.

well I had as I said all of 1 time that I tried it on 2 different tkts

2 things going in the OPs favor however are FRA isnt a ST Hub and that hes flying back TLV-JFK on DL. I had a TLV-LHR-TLV & LHR-JFK-LHR tkts both on BA so they knew I was traveling thru but they also knew that by getting 2 tkts I was saving alot over a TLV-JFK-TLV tkt.

But from what I understood before I went with those 2 tkts or any set of tkts over just 1, is that the 1st Carrier does NOT have to tag the bags the whole way thru, if anything the opposite is the case. If however a person makes a stopover in route and the continuing flight is apart of 1 tkt then the 2nd Carrier has to abide by the Rules of a US Intl tkt, it doesnt have to follow the Rules of what the 1st Carrier would have premitted. The difference being anything over and beyond what the Agreement is for US Intl flights or 2 bags. So although I might be allowed 3 bags if I make stop then the 2nd Carrier has every right to charge me for my 3rd bag

So a NY-FRA-TLV-NY tkt allows 2 bags , while a NY-FRA is 1 bag on DL free in Coach 2 in Biz, while LH or LY etc FRA-TLV is 1 bag the weight depends on the cabin ones flying. However by having another tkt doesnt mean that the 1st Carrier must Tag the bag all the way all the 1st carrier must do is tag the bag/s to whatever is the final destination on the 1st tkt

I think the OP will have an easier job of convincing DL to tag the bags all the way thru, since they are returning with DL the whole way back and can say I only did it this way where its costing me more miles due to DL not being able to get me over there on DL or another ST carrier. Of cause DL can fire back then you should have cashed in for a Standard Award. But the OP is in a better state then if they had say a DL NY-FRA-NY and LY FRA-TLV-FRA set of tkts

Offline artcraftcrocs

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: air canada elite
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
whats the issue ??
its a business class ticket ? correct? so your are allowed 2 peices of baggage . no fees at all . and im pretty sure they will check your bags all the way even though the 2 airlines are not affiliated.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 05:43:15 PM »
whats the issue ??
its a business class ticket ? correct? so your are allowed 2 peices of baggage . no fees at all . and im pretty sure they will check your bags all the way even though the 2 airlines are not affiliated.

I know alot of the European Carriers only allow 1 bag up to 30k for Biz, are you sure LY allows a person flying in Biz 2 bags?

heres Swiss's chart, as you can see by checking General Free Baggage that its not 2 bags with them. Yes it is 2 bags from to the US but we are discussing when a person is flying and using more then 1 tkt.http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services/baggage/Pages/free_checked_baggage.aspx?WT.z_hm=sp_baggage_free_checked_baggage

Our OP has a separate tkt for their FRA-TLV segment and since its not apart of the US-FRA tkt then the Rules for bags should follow what a person is allowed as if they were simply flying FRA-TLV = no 2 free bags. Now the question is if a person can get the 1st Carrier they are flying with  (in the OPs case DL from NY) to tag their bags all the way thru including the FRA-TLV flight which is on a different tkt, and thusly if that is done then you wont have to pay the Carrier on the other tkt for any bags that normally a person flying from Europe will have to pay for.

have I confused you enough?

Offline artcraftcrocs

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 10:38:52 AM »
im not sure i flew yyz to zurich and zurich to telaviv 2 seperate tickets business class , i told the lady at the desk in toronto that it was a connection so she bagged my luggage direct to tlv no extra charges and no issue with 2 bags.
aswell i flew just last week elal to jfk business class and bought a seperate ticket in coach on delta from jfk to yyz, at the desk in ben gurion i told the lady it was a connection she bagged my 2 peices to yyz and eevn gave me a boarding pass for delta from jfk to yzz.
i avoided 100$ charges for 2 peices of luggage on delta.
aswell yyz -mia on american i told the lady at the desk both in mia and in toronto that i am continuing on my international ticket from tlv and therfor do not have to pay for bags as i coming from international . she waived the fee. in all these cases they did not ask me to provide any paper itinerary that it was indeed connecting and related flight.

was i too confusing ??

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 10:53:24 AM »
im not sure i flew yyz to zurich and zurich to telaviv 2 seperate tickets business class , i told the lady at the desk in toronto that it was a connection so she bagged my luggage direct to tlv no extra charges and no issue with 2 bags.
aswell i flew just last week elal to jfk business class and bought a seperate ticket in coach on delta from jfk to yyz, at the desk in ben gurion i told the lady it was a connection she bagged my 2 peices to yyz and eevn gave me a boarding pass for delta from jfk to yzz.
i avoided 100$ charges for 2 peices of luggage on delta.
aswell yyz -mia on american i told the lady at the desk both in mia and in toronto that i am continuing on my international ticket from tlv and therfor do not have to pay for bags as i coming from international . she waived the fee. in all these cases they did not ask me to provide any paper itinerary that it was indeed connecting and related flight.

was i too confusing ??

Nope just very Lucky!

Offline artcraftcrocs

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »
it works , try it , these airlines are dumber then you think . i plan to do the same on friday yyz-ewr on continental.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 11:00:02 AM »
it works , try it , these airlines are dumber then you think . i plan to do the same on friday yyz-ewr on continental.

I just have problems understanding that an agent will tag a bag/s onto another Carrier w/o ever having to show any proof that you will actually be flying on that Carrier. I can understand that if flying in Biz that they might do it but not w/o seeing something showing that you are actually booked on them

Offline artcraftcrocs

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »
i would have a print out of the boarding pass from checking in online with out showing that i booked the ticket on orbitz or one of these sites. how do they know if its a connection or not ?their systems dont show this information unless it was booked through that carriers site and they would put u on another carrier. but if you booked a coneection through a website or a travel agent  forinstance jfk- frankfurt on aa and frankfurt tlv on lufthansa, aa has no idea of your connection even though it may very well be a connecting flight .

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 11:26:53 AM »
i would have a print out of the boarding pass from checking in online with out showing that i booked the ticket on orbitz or one of these sites. how do they know if its a connection or not ?their systems dont show this information unless it was booked through that carriers site and they would put u on another carrier. but if you booked a coneection through a website or a travel agent  forinstance jfk- frankfurt on aa and frankfurt tlv on lufthansa, aa has no idea of your connection even though it may very well be a connecting flight .

well from what you 1st posted it seemed all you were doing is asking telling agent that you had another flight from XYZ and to please tag the bag all the way thru and they did so w/o you having to show them anything, now you are saying you showed them a BP, which way is it? if you show a BP why didnt you say so from get go? and why did you let people believe that all they need to do is tell the agent please tag my bags all the way thru onto ElAl or whomever

Im not trying to pick on You! But alot of your posts arent telling the whole story which can lead others to end up behind the 8 Ball if they simply follow along with what you posted. You have to be very careful what you post and unfortuantely you arent