Author Topic: Shochet / butcher house calls?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Shochet / butcher house calls?
« on: November 10, 2013, 11:22:37 AM »
Does anyone know if shochtim and butchers will come to a residence to shecht a goat or a cow and prepare it be be cooked/frozen?  Let's assume the owner of the residence is keeping the animals legally, properly secured etc.  Is it even legal to shecht something that size in a residential neighborhood?  I remember about 4 years ago Bobov got some bad press for doing this in the backyard of a "school" on Route 306 in Monsey, but I never heard anything about legal problems resulting from it.

Also wondering about the cost of such a service if anyone knows.  I am talking about the Bergen/Rockland area.

This is all hypothetical btw... I rent an apartment and don't own any animals other than some fish :)

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Shochet / butcher house calls?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 11:28:37 AM »
Does anyone know if shochtim and butchers will come to a residence to shecht a goat or a cow and prepare it be be cooked/frozen?  Let's assume the owner of the residence is keeping the animals legally, properly secured etc.  Is it even legal to shecht something that size in a residential neighborhood?  I remember about 4 years ago Bobov got some bad press for doing this in the backyard of a "school" on Route 306 in Monsey, but I never heard anything about legal problems resulting from it.

Also wondering about the cost of such a service if anyone knows.  I am talking about the Bergen/Rockland area.

This is all hypothetical btw... I rent an apartment and don't own any animals other than some fish :)
don't ask don't tell ;)

Offline ShmuliT

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »
I can do the fish for a small fee.

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:21:13 PM »
I can do the fish for a small fee.

No thanks my 2 year old does it for free!  He banged hard on the tank last night and this morning one of the fish was sitting at the bottom lifeless lol.

Offline ShmuliT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 01:51:48 PM »
Lol.
Note a cow is a lot bigger than a goat and would need some machinery or a group of brave strong men to hold it down. A goat is a lot easier.
Then you would need equipment to cut, skin, clean, salt and rinse. Again with a cow it takes all that to a much larger scale.

Offline Deals Fan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Spg Platinum, Avis Presidents club, Hertz PC Hyatt Platinum, United Silver
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 01:56:26 PM »
Lol.
Note a cow is a lot bigger than a goat and would need some machinery or a group of brave strong men to hold it down. A goat is a lot easier.
Then you would need equipment to cut, skin, clean, salt and rinse. Again with a cow it takes all that to a much larger scale.
As a shochet i have never seen or done a cow in a private residence. Goat, sheep, calf can all be done. Nikur (Cleaning the veins and non kosher fats) koshering will take some time. (couple hours)

Offline raphy781

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »
Lol.
They shechted a buffalo in my school a few years ago. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

Offline smee123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 02:44:44 PM »
Rabbi Lankry....

Offline bem684

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 10:58:41 PM »
As a shochet i have never seen or done a cow in a private residence. Goat, sheep, calf can all be done. Nikur (Cleaning the veins and non kosher fats) koshering will take some time. (couple hours)

Any idea what it would cost to have a cow shechted and fully prepare for freezing or cooking, if the cow was brought to the beis hashchita?  I don't know if size matters, but let's say it's a full grown cow.

Offline dirah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 11:15:31 PM »

Any idea what it would cost to have a cow shechted and fully prepare for freezing or cooking, if the cow was brought to the beis hashchita?  I don't know if size matters, but let's say it's a full grown cow.
There's 5x points for live cows?

Offline Moes Tavern

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 11:16:13 PM »
ROFL
"I've done some things I'm not proud of, and the things I am proud of are pretty disgusting"

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 11:40:17 PM »
well said. ;)

Offline farfallen

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 10:53:39 AM »
Best advice is to find a hallal place or a dear processing place that can handle a cow and have the shochet meet you there. Cows are mostly impractical due to the huge amount of the animal that is not kosher. Most places charge per lb of "hanging weight" so you are charged on the entire cow a processing fee. Unless you have a cow you want to get rid of stick to sheep.