Author Topic: "Ex-Hasidic Woman Marks Five Years Since She Shaved Her Head"  (Read 88853 times)

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: "Ex-Hasidic Woman Marks Five Years Since She Shaved Her Head"
« Reply #420 on: November 19, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »
PLEASE SHUT DOWN THIS THREAD ITS HEADING DOWHILL
What is everyone scared of?  ???
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #421 on: November 19, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »
I AGREE WITH MESHUGS (AS USUALL) PLEASE SHUT DOWN THIS THREAD ITS HEADING DOWHILL
What is everyone scared of?  ???
Dan doesn't have slip and fall insurance :P

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 19, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »
Dan doesn't have slip and fall insurance :P
I got him covered.  ;)

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #423 on: November 19, 2013, 05:40:24 PM »
I got him covered.  ;)
maybe THAT is what they are scared of..
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Satmar Guy

• Non-Elite Member
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 19, 2013, 06:08:29 PM »
Wow, it sure sounds like you're trying to get me mad with all that sarcasm, but I'm not.
Sorry, I didn't know sarcasm gets you mad, and I'm not trying to get you anything, besides for getting you to understand what I'm saying.

(M'derkent az ihr kimt fin a kanuosdige background - nur genitzt oif farkert... uber b'emes, az ihr zent nimos fin "satmarkeiten", vie past di sharfe geredechts? afilu bei di fartzeitische iz es shoin nisht in der mudde.)

איך ווייס נישט פון וועלכע סאטמערישקייטן איר רעדט, און וואו איר זעט שארפע גערעדעכץ, האט איר שוין אמאל געזען צוויי מענטשען זיך טענה'ן אין א שטיקל לומדות? גענוי אזוי זעט עס אויס. אזוי ווי ס'שטייט אין גמרא,
Quote from: גמרא קידושין
אמר רבי חייא בר אבא: אפילו האב ובנו, הרב ותלמידו שעוסקין בתורה בשער אחד, נעשים אויבים זה את זה ואינם זזים משם עד שנעשים אוהבים זה את זה, שנאמר; אֶת וָהֵב בְּסוּפָה

If nail polish would be used in our circles, I wouldn't be surprised if they would make a takunah that it shouldn't be applied a significant amount of time prior.
I'm sure you're aware we don't handle dough that day. I don't think it lasts longer.
Exactly! dough and nail polish would apply for right before mikva, whereas the shaving decree applies to all times. Older women who hadn't been to mikva in decades, will not be buried in a Satmar cemetery if she didn't shave. Besides, we don't see any kids being expelled from schools if their mothers bake challah's on mikva day, even if that actually does say in Shulchan Aruch.

Did I give the number 250? Many years could pass until a new takunah is issued. And as clearly stated, just my own theory.
Ok, so it tool them over a millennia to realize that women don't wear veils anymore?

To paraphrase your request: As I said, give me the source to what you stated - with seeming certainty - that it originates from peasants. I'm not disproving, it's just hard for me to believe so I want to check that out myself. I actually like finding mekoros to minhagim, legit or otherwise.
To be honest, I don't remember where I've seen it, I tried googling it, but primitive peasant lifestyle in European villages from the Eighteenth century is not very well documented. But I'm still trying to find the source, hang in there.

But in contrast to the primitive villagers, Jewish Halacha throughout the ages was very well documented, and if this was indeed a תקנה by the וועד ארבע ארצות, it's not unreasonable for one to want to see a source. And the lack thereof is a pretty well indication that such a thing does not exist.

I can't speak for every chasidishe woman out there, but I personally don't have a hard time accepting a chumrah that's been the tradition for a while but doesn't have a clear mekor - provided that it makes sense. This chumrah does make sense to me, as I've seen my neighbors' hair plenty of times, and I do remember the difficulty of ridding one's hair from a chatzitzah.
And I respect your decision to go ahead with it, I would not have a problem with you following it, even if you thought it doesn't make sense. What you do is none of my business.

If a woman does have an issue with such a chumrah - by all means, find your kids a different school! Just like any school, Satmar has every right to make any rules they wish, as ridiculous as you may find them, as long as they don't force anyone to send there.
Now that's what I don't get. Does a school have the right to intrude like that in a private persons life? Where does this control end? Can your kids' school tell you what color to paint your walls? How about telling you to buy only skim milk? Can they force you to eat whole wheat? can they tell you to use only the roll toilet paper and not precut?

And let's even say that you answer all these questions with a resounding yes, the school does indeed have the right, but is it מענטשליך? אידישליך? to creep into the most private intimate area or a persons body?

Besides, they don't have the right because they are not a private business, they are a public funded non for profit organization, and they need to be accountable to the community that supports them. (I'm allowed to dream, aren't I?) They can accept tax exempt donations, don't they?

I would appreciate getting the article for personal interest, but I never even pretended to argue on its merits. Someone  asked me for my thoughts about the way the woman was treated, and I commented from what I know based on hard facts from different Satmar
communities. It didn't occur to me that KJ would be that different.
The article is in your inbox, hope you enjoy it.

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 19, 2013, 07:21:34 PM »
you said no such pasuk HE SIMPLY MISQUOTED IT . its a famous saying quoted all over.                                        I AGREE WITH MESHUGS (AS USUALL) PLEASE SHUT DOWN THIS THREAD ITS HEADING DOWHILL
You're a bozo. It's assur to quote a passuk without looking it up so you don't misquote it. That's what I was saying. It's not a famous saying quoted all over because it's not accurate
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 19, 2013, 07:32:35 PM »
Here you go guys:

http://www.religionforums.org/Thread-Satmar-Hasidism
A love this part: "Ask two Jews one question and you will get three answers..."

Offline raphy781

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 19, 2013, 07:52:01 PM »
A love this part: "Ask two Jews one question and you will get three answers..."
Better version goes: and you'll get 3 questions.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 19, 2013, 08:02:02 PM »
With Satmar guy and Satmar lady having a conversation this is starting to be like the girl in the other thread who has letters from a boyfriend. Both of you are not going to get anywhere further. Enough.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:07:09 PM by aygart »

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 19, 2013, 09:00:52 PM »
It's assur to quote a passuk without looking it up so you don't misquote it.
YOU LOOK UP EVERY VERSE YOU QUOTE ??  you keep a tanak in your pants?  :P
Salt Is Good

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 19, 2013, 09:10:42 PM »
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.ori.yemini.tora and others. I didn't pick this one for any reason. Our was the first non Christian one

Offline yitzf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 19, 2013, 09:52:34 PM »
שרטוט

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 19, 2013, 09:55:10 PM »

You're a bozo. It's assur to quote a passuk without looking it up so you don't misquote it. That's what I was saying. It's not a famous saying quoted all over because it's not accurate

Really? The Rambam often misquoted pesukim.

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #434 on: November 19, 2013, 10:53:34 PM »
Idiot strikes again.

Offline DovtheBear

• View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #435 on: November 19, 2013, 10:59:09 PM »
Idiot strikes again.
Understatement of the month?
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Offline Moshe123

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #436 on: November 19, 2013, 11:42:26 PM »
Understatement of the month?

I'll leave it at that.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 19, 2013, 11:48:08 PM »
I might have to hire someone full time.  >:(
Accepting resumes?

Offline Satmar Lady

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 20, 2013, 12:51:33 AM »
With Satmar guy and Satmar lady having a conversation this is starting to be like the girl in the other thread who has letters from a boyfriend. Both of you are not going to get anywhere further. Enough.

I hear you, and had thought the same. So thanks, and although I was ready to write lengthy responses

to all his counts I’ll stick just to the practical – can’t resist this part.

@Satmar Guy

“They should be accountable to the community” – that’s just the point. It’s a community comprised

mostly of individuals who are dedicated to practice Yiddishkeit according to the teachings of the Satmar

Rebbe, and they stick together because for whatever reason they like to be in an environment of people

who follow the same teachings. These teachings don’t include toilet paper, but they do include shaving.

It’s not just the board - most of the community members probably expect their fellow community

members to respect everything that Satmar stands for. Otherwise, why not join any other good

Heimishe community out there?

Schooling is a service the community provides at extremely low tuition rates to its members. Who’s a

member? In Satmar, membership fee is optional. It’s the Rebbe’s teachings that count. If you refuse

to follow one of them, the majority of the community will probably feel this is not right for a

Satmar member receiving the services they (or the more affluent among them) fund; especially since breaking 1 rule usually indicates more rules to be broken - just like the author in the article (thanks for that!) had lower tznius standards. While We respect your right to make your own choices, this is a club we’re in, and the Rebbe's teachings are the club protocol. Since a majority of its members would probably still like to uphold this protocol, the disagreeing individual should either conform or find a place more suitable to their ideals.

Does this mean I agree with KJ’s methods of implementing this? NO.

Is it mentchlich or yiddishlech? NO, but neither is dishonesty – which you didn't address at all.

Okay, I think I made my opinion clear enough. I'll let you have the last word, since I made up my mind that this will be my last post on the topic. Thanks for the opportunity.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:01:36 AM by Satmar Lady »

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 20, 2013, 05:18:51 AM »
I hear you, and had thought the same. So thanks, and although I was ready to write lengthy responses

to all his counts I’ll stick just to the practical – can’t resist this part.

@Satmar Guy

“They should be accountable to the community” – that’s just the point. It’s a community comprised

mostly of individuals who are dedicated to practice Yiddishkeit according to the teachings of the Satmar

Rebbe, and they stick together because for whatever reason they like to be in an environment of people

who follow the same teachings. These teachings don’t include toilet paper, but they do include shaving.

It’s not just the board - most of the community members probably expect their fellow community

members to respect everything that Satmar stands for. Otherwise, why not join any other good

Heimishe community out there?

Schooling is a service the community provides at extremely low tuition rates to its members. Who’s a

member? In Satmar, membership fee is optional. It’s the Rebbe’s teachings that count. If you refuse

to follow one of them, the majority of the community will probably feel this is not right for a

Satmar member receiving the services they (or the more affluent among them) fund; especially since breaking 1 rule usually indicates more rules to be broken - just like the author in the article (thanks for that!) had lower tznius standards. While We respect your right to make your own choices, this is a club we’re in, and the Rebbe's teachings are the club protocol. Since a majority of its members would probably still like to uphold this protocol, the disagreeing individual should either conform or find a place more suitable to their ideals.

Does this mean I agree with KJ’s methods of implementing this? NO.

Is it mentchlich or yiddishlech? NO, but neither is dishonesty – which you didn't address at all.

Okay, I think I made my opinion clear enough. I'll let you have the last word, since I made up my mind that this will be my last post on the topic. Thanks for the opportunity.

+1