Author Topic: "Ex-Hasidic Woman Marks Five Years Since She Shaved Her Head"  (Read 88640 times)

Offline Menachem613

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: "Ex-Hasidic Woman Marks Five Years Since She Shaved Her Head"
« Reply #200 on: November 15, 2013, 11:49:51 AM »
And I also think that there is a Tznius factor with shaving- to prevent hair to be seen when it shouldn't.

Agree, but it does make me wonder then why they wear a shaitel.

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2013, 11:50:38 AM »
Does someone not-frum have free choice?
Do you know what kind of pressure a BT goes through from family and friends when they want to become more religious.
And yet many of my best friends are BTs and they had the power to tell their parents that will not eat in their homes ever again.  It takes conviction but they made a choice.

Everyone here has free choice and we make that choice every second of every day.

I am aware that every community exercises pressures. That does not mean we are all freer, it means we are all less free.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #202 on: November 15, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
And I also think that there is a Tznius factor with shaving- to prevent hair to be seen when it shouldn't.
If you're wearing a full sheitel why would any of your own hair be seen?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #203 on: November 15, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »
I think the difference between "Judaism"and a Jewish "cult" is based on just one thing:

Having the choice to keep the strict  halacha and nothing more, while still being able to be a part of the community.

Therefore, if a community is not tolerant of those that don't hold of their chumras, or they are simply not educated as to what is a chumra and what isn't, they are effectively ostracizing any community member from their cult.

Ps. I'm not pointing fingers at any  specific community, just giving my 2 cents.
What does being a part of a community mean? If someone doesn't follow any of the minhagim of a community what makes them a part of that community? For example if a modern orthodox kid decides one day college, internet, shaving, and being involved in the world is not what a he as a Jew should be involved in and takes on all satmar minhagim, why would he still be part of the modern orthodox community? If in school he disagrees with everything the teachers and rebbeim say why should he be in that school anymore?

There are many levels of ostracizing/tolerance and I'm not sure which one you are referring to in your post.

I think the fact that you call it Satmar "beliefs"and not stringencies or chumros, only reinforces the opinion of those that think it's an offshoot cult of Judaism.
Really? You don't believe in your community minhagim? If your family feels strongly about an education you don't believe that to be the right thing to do?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #204 on: November 15, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »
Does someone not-frum have free choice?
Do you know what kind of pressure a BT goes through from family and friends when they want to become more religious.
And yet many of my best friends are BTs and they had the power to tell their parents that will not eat in their homes ever again.  It takes conviction but they made a choice.

Everyone here has free choice and we make that choice every second of every day.
+1
You just last week had a couple that the husband became Frum a lot before his wife, while they were telling us their story my wife and I were just sitting there open mouthed.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 15, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »
Btw my wifes was taught that the reason why married women cover their hair is because now the hair is special only for the husband, and not for others. This explains how hair can all of a sudden turn into an erva.
I like this explanation, I wonder how the shavers/extreme coverers explain it.

Offline wayfe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: &quot;Ex-Hasidic Woman Marks Five Years Since She Shaved Her Head&quot;
« Reply #206 on: November 15, 2013, 11:57:23 AM »
Agree, but it does make me wonder then why they wear a shaitel.

Because they want to look dressed up- and don't you try to convince me that even the $5000 custom European human hair wig can ever look like real hair- it doesn't.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #207 on: November 15, 2013, 11:57:54 AM »
Btw my wifes was taught that the reason why married women cover their hair is because now the hair is special only for the husband, and not for others. This explains how hair can all of a sudden turn into an erva.
I like this explanation, I wonder how the shavers explain it.
And why not their hands?

It's a cute reason, but doesn't explain much.

Also wifes? Good on ya' :P

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 15, 2013, 11:58:21 AM »
If you're wearing a full sheitel why would any of your own hair be seen?
stands of hair can stick out, and most women don't wear a full wig the entire day.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 15, 2013, 11:58:56 AM »
And why not their hands?

It's a cute reason, but doesn't explain much.
Because then they wouldnt be able to make sandwiches for their husbands.

Offline Centro

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 33
    • View Profile

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 15, 2013, 11:59:47 AM »
Because then they wouldnt be able to make sandwiches for their husbands.
Wear gloves, just like a sheital.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 15, 2013, 12:01:25 PM »
Wear gloves, just like a sheital.
Seriously, because hair is a beautiful feature of femininity. It is reserved for the husband. IMHO this makes a lot of sense.

Offline Satmar Lady

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 15, 2013, 12:02:26 PM »
[quote author=yunee

I think the fact that you call it Satmar "beliefs"and not stringencies or chumros, only reinforces the opinion of those that think it's an offshoot cult of Judaism.
[/quote]

Nit-picking on my choice of words as a poor substitute for valid argument. Is this because you are in an anti-Satmar cult?
Just 1 example: The Satmar Rebbe believed Zionism is a violation of the 3  oaths. Does this make him a cult leader? (I'm just using this as an example, please no debate on this topic! I know the majority of Rabbanim held otherwise and I respect that.)

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 15, 2013, 12:03:15 PM »
@Yehuda S- its a good post, I just don't think it brought out every point that I made.

@jj- I agree, not everyone is meant for every school. But there is a large difference between not allowing internet and not allowing hair. One is worried about transgressing issurim, and the other is nothing more than a chumra.

Visibly Jewish

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 15, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
Seriously, because hair is a beautiful feature of femininity. It is reserved for the husband. IMHO this makes a lot of sense.
And her face isn't beautiful and for her husband? I must admit I am more attracted to a woman's face than hair.

I'm just showing according to your logic, hair is a random thing that is for her husband, but so is the rest of her body, and that's not all covered.

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #216 on: November 15, 2013, 12:07:09 PM »
I like this explanation, I wonder how the shavers/extreme coverers explain it.
As per how R' Cheikin taught us, that is a cutesy rational meant to make the Mitzvah more pleasant, but has no bearing to the actual observance of the Mitzvah, much like saying that keeping Kosher helps us stay healthy and keeping Taharas Hamishpachah helps our Shalom Bayis...

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2013, 12:08:10 PM »
I must admit I am more attracted to a woman's face than hair.
How about a poll?  :)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline wayfe

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 15, 2013, 12:08:29 PM »
And her face isn't beautiful and for her husband? I must admit I am more attracted to a woman's face than hair.

I'm just showing according to your logic, hair is a random thing that is for her husband, but so is the rest of her body, and that's not all covered.

Hair is definitely something special- and it wasn't only Jewish women who covered their hair. In more modest times- a lady's hair was covered by hat and always neatly gathered or pinned up. "Letting your hair down" is an expression for a reason
— Richard Feynman

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 15, 2013, 12:10:27 PM »
As per how R' Cheikin taught us, that is a cutesy rational meant to make the Mitzvah more pleasant, but has no bearing to the actual observance of the Mitzvah, much like saying that keeping Kosher helps us stay healthy and keeping Taharas Hamishpachah helps our Shalom Bayis...
First of all the the tanna R meir gives the rationale for taharas hamishpacah that it improves sholam bayis. (Also see the gemara about the bris being on the 8th day so that the parents can be happy also)
Second, noone has yet answered my question up thread as to why its ok for everything els to be revealed to the husband besides the hair...?