Author Topic: direct flightb to israel  (Read 7729 times)

Offline avi2018

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: direct flightb to israel
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2010, 09:22:38 PM »
None are worthwhile.
None.
Nada.
Zilch.
I'll rephrase what does worthwhile mean? I don't travel that much and worthwhile to me means i get a free ticket now, not the next time i fly.

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2010, 09:32:04 PM »
I'll rephrase what does worthwhile mean? I don't travel that much and worthwhile to me means i get a free ticket now, not the next time i fly.
It means they take a huge chunk of miles as a "fee" for the exchange. I dont know the exact xchange rates on points.com but it is not even close to 1=1. It will never be worthwhile except when some airlines run promos for partner activity and they are one of them, then you might do just the minimum amount.

How many points do you have in your accounts?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2010, 09:32:28 PM »

from what I remember when they 1st started up its takes an arm & a leg to get 1 finger. Plus very high fees $$. Sort of like walking in with US$ and you want Euros in Israel they 1st convert it to Sheks then to Euros so you lose Twice.

IMO youd be better off buying a tkt where you can add some miles to the ones you have so that hopefully in the near future you can cash them in for a free tkt, plus this way you can chose what flights you want on what days.

Offline avi2018

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »
IMO youd be better off buying a tkt where you can add some miles to the ones you have so that hopefully in the near future you can cash them in for a free tkt, plus this way you can chose what flights you want on what days.
I'll Repeat, I don't travel that much and worthwhile to me means i get a free ticket now, not the next time i fly.
BTW i am choosing what day i want.

Offline avi2018

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2010, 09:41:34 PM »
BTW do most airlines allow you to buy miles?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »
I'll Repeat, I don't travel that much and worthwhile to me means i get a free ticket now, not the next time i fly.

well if you can pick what day you want then I take it you are cashing in for a Standard Award rather then a Saver. when I use miles for atkt I usually approach it being very Flex = I know when Id like to fly but Understand they will tell me when I will and not viceversa

I know plenty of people who have flown on Award tkts and never purchased a tkt, they got the Miles from other sources other then flying. Or the vast bulk of their miles were earned from other means other then actually flying and earning them

to each their own, from what I know points.com is probably what you will want then

Offline Mikeoracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2010, 09:50:40 PM »
Can you please tell us how many miles you do have and in which program so we can see if we can give you best advise based on that.

Offline avi2018

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2010, 10:06:09 PM »
I am dealing with miles in definitely 2 possibly (hopefully?)5 people. 1 person has 38,757 miles in continental, and should be getting 2,956 miles in the next few days. I have an aa account which as of now has 2,226 miles, i'm expecting a bit more than a thousand more, but i'm afraid it might not come so easily. the other three might be getting 2,956 miles each soon in their continental accounts, the rep on the phone wasn't sure because they created their accounts after flying.
Obviously i understand that in the end it might come out very cost ineffective, due to all the fees for transferring and buying miles.

Offline avi2018

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2010, 10:06:33 PM »
None are worthwhile.
None.
Nada.
Zilch.
If i'm not mistaken on the blog a good while back there were posts about issues related to transferring through non-aviation points programs.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2010, 10:19:32 PM »
I am dealing with miles in definitely 2 possibly (hopefully?)5 people. 1 person has 38,757 miles in continental, and should be getting 2,956 miles in the next few days. I have an aa account which as of now has 2,226 miles, i'm expecting a bit more than a thousand more, but i'm afraid it might not come so easily. the other three might be getting 2,956 miles each soon in their continental accounts, the rep on the phone wasn't sure because they created their accounts after flying.
Obviously i understand that in the end it might come out very cost ineffective, due to all the fees for transferring and buying miles.

well even if you could move all the miles into 1 acct youd still be way short of what is needed.

When carriers allow transfers between accts its allowed only to the 1000th so 1980 only 1000 miles can be transferred. and you cant combine AA & CO except via pts.com

as I see it either you pay $$ for a tkt , find a way to get the apx 28000 you will be short on CO. then once you have it all you need to PRAY that theres a Saver tkt available which on CO isnt that common

Good Luck in your quest

Offline avi2018

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2010, 10:31:14 PM »
well even if you could move all the miles into 1 acct youd still be way short of what is needed.

When carriers allow transfers between accts its allowed only to the 1000th so 1980 only 1000 miles can be transferred. and you cant combine AA & CO except via pts.com

as I see it either you pay $$ for a tkt , find a way to get the apx 28000 you will be short on CO. then once you have it all you need to PRAY that theres a Saver tkt available which on CO isnt that common

Good Luck in your quest
Firstly notice that i mentioned buying miles because as you say i'll be way short.
secondly i know that on continental there is no saver ticket available, which is why i might just be buying one way and getting the second way with miles. BTW this is why i'd like to know how to transfer into other airlines programs, and what the availability on delta is through partner airlines.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2010, 10:41:20 PM »
Firstly notice that i mentioned buying miles because as you say i'll be way short.
secondly i know that on continental there is no saver ticket available, which is why i might just be buying one way and getting the second way with miles. BTW this is why i'd like to know how to transfer into other airlines programs, and what the availability on delta is through partner airlines.

1 ways are usually Full Coach tkts = alot more then what a roundtrip tkt would cost you!

Im Not picking on You Im trying to help You but you seem to not have a proper Understanding how things work with these programs.

a 1 way isnt 1/2 the price of a r/t it has its own Fares and Rules and hardly ever on an Intl tkt will be any where near 1/2 the price of a r/t tkt and more likely alot more then a r/t tkt

You really will need to rethink this whole thing. From what i recall CO doesnt allow for an actual cashing in for a 1 way tkt (it might have changed recently) what they do allow is to cash in for say Biz 1 way and Coach the other and thusly pay 1/2 of what each would have been. In the past if you did that you had to pay the full amount for a Biz tkt even thou you were in Biz only  1way. AA actually does allow you to cashin for a real 1 way tkt

Im correct with CO I just went to their site and clicked 1 way and the ability to select Reward Travel disappears

BTW if you have to pay much more then say 1 cent per mile it really doesnt apy as a reg paid tkt wont be that much more
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:50:01 PM by steve2 »

Offline avi2018

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2010, 10:54:43 PM »
1 ways are usually Full Coach tkts = alot more then what a roundtrip tkt would cost you!
I understand that was part of the cost effectiveness equation.

Im Not picking on You Im trying to help You but you seem to not have a proper Understanding how things work with these programs.
You're right, i'm really sorry if i come off as unappreciative, i really appreciate all the help and information i've been given.

a 1 way isnt 1/2 the price of a r/t it has its own Fares and Rules and hardly ever on an Intl tkt will be any where near 1/2 the price of a r/t tkt and more likely alot more then a r/t tkt

You really will need to rethink this whole thing. From what i recall CO doesnt allow for an actual cashing in for a 1 way tkt (it might have changed recently) what they do allow is to cash in for say Biz 1 way and Coach the other and thusly pay 1/2 of what each would have been. In the past if you did that you had to pay the full amount for a Biz tkt even thou you were in Biz only  1way. AA actually does allow you to cashin for a real 1 way tkt

Im correct with CO I just went to their site and clicked 1 way and the ability to select Reward Travel disappears
That's important, thank you very much. This leaves me with delta because unless elal has availabilities that i can't get through AA, they don't have anything for me.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2010, 11:09:39 PM »

That's important, thank you very much. This leaves me with delta because unless elal has availabilities that i can't get through AA, they don't have anything for me.

forget DL as well I just played around using 9/23 and 9/30 YT knowing its a good chance Award seats will be available well a 1 way was 80k and $5 (the $5 is wrong as Israeli taxes and US taxes are more then that)  and a r/t on the above dates was also 80k. So its not gonna be 40k for a 1way (Im not that much UP on DL any longer so I need to hit their site)

You probably will have to actually purcahse a r/t tkt Im afraid to say or get some CCs and the bonuses from that along with some heavy charging. If you buy Miles from the Carriers figure on say 3 cents each plus other fees, I dont know anyone who will openly sell them for 1 cent or close to that and most likely for alittle more you can buy the tkt outright and earn the 11+k in miles for a NY-TLV r/t

Offline avi2018

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2010, 03:11:34 AM »
well i still have a possibility of partner airlines, which leaves me with the question of availability. and there is another thing that delta has which is called pay with miles. so either way i still have a question of transferring miles (points.com or if anybody knows anything about transferring through a non-airline loyaltyprogram).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 04:00:22 AM by avi2018 »