Author Topic: Jokes Master Thread  (Read 719086 times)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
The jokes don't make it sound like it's just a practical issue, though...
don't take the joke so seriously
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
+1
Wow.

You guys forgot that this is the joke thread?  :o

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
+1
Wow.

Whoops! Meant to post it in the ethics thread...

Offline srap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Whoops! Meant to post it in the ethics thread...
Ok, I'm back to chuckling again.

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
as a practical matter it sometimes makes sense to have one person budgeting. It need not be asking for permission to have money just he may happen do be the one holding it. If money is in a separate business account he may need to be the one to transfer it to the personal account. There could be numerous reasons that he happens to hold the purse strings.
Wife "asking" for money doesn't mean reminding her husband to transfer from business account to personal. It means asking for money.

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Wife "asking" for money doesn't mean reminding her husband to transfer from business account to personal. It means asking for money.
is a joke not a gemora
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline george

• View Profile
+1
Wow.

No. I just didn't find a joke funny, others did find it funny, and we are debating it.

Offline george

• View Profile
is a joke not a gemora
I was responding to what I quoted in my post. I was not responding to the joke.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
That's correct, ilherman. That's precisely the message I was striving to convey. Thanks for making it even clearer for everyone!
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

You know what's really funny? You totally messed up your twisting of my words. If you wanted to make believe that I was really drawing a direct comparison between two things, it would be OCD and the utility pole, not the wife asking for money. Next time think before you twist! >:( ;D ;D ;D
No worries.... I just wanna see you smiling. Come on with your BS explanations. I told my wife the joke and she found it funny as well. Whenever I talk about MS for my heavy CC thresholds my wife always jokes with me that she can easily take care of it, I should just take her to Saks and Bloomingdale's.. Now, there are wife's that don't care about their income/expense ratio and they spend thousands of dollars at these stores even they cannot afford it, it's a terrible thing, now my wife is not allowed to make a joke out of it. I'll let her know.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
I'm not complaining, and I'm WAY to tired to try to take sides in this argument. I was just saying.

Anyways, I think we all agree to that some things shouldn't be joked about, the question is just which things. And that can be different for different ppl. Some people with OCD can laugh about it, and some can't. Etcetera etcetera etcetera
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline dovy2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
So I wasn't missing anything.

Here's why I don't think it's funny:
1) OCD is real and it affects real people. And it is not funny.

2) Whenever I hear men saying that their wife asked them for money, or women saying that they need to ask their husband for money, it makes me want to vomit. Children should ask their parents for money, not women asking their husbands. It is horrifying that couples don't share their money in a joint bank account that they both have access to and both make decisions as equals regarding how to spend it. I don't care who the breadwinner is.
disagre

Offline etech0

• View Profile
disagre
I disagree with your spelling

Offline dovy2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
I disagree with your spelling
that was quick.. I didn't even get to the last page yet

Offline etech0

• View Profile
that was quick.. I didn't even get to the last page yet
Well I've been reading each new posts as it interrupts mine.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
It must be bein hazmanim
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline srap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
If you really agreed with the first point, you would not find it funny. If someone would post here "I think my wife has skin cancer - her moles keep changing colors!", nobody would find it funny. Because we recognize that cancer is not something to joke about. It affects real people, and it is not funny. Obviously, cancer is deadly and OCD is not, so I am not drawing a direct comparison. I am just trying to bring out my point. If something is a serious condition that affects real people, many of whom we know, then it should be off limits as far a jokes are concerned.

If you really agree with my second point, you would not find it funny. If it "makes you want to vomit" when you hear it, it wouldn't also make you laugh. At least that's not how my laughing mechanism  works...
I don't really have the time to pick my words in an exacting fashion now.  In a nutshell, one type of joke is the unexpected connection of concepts/objects in a possibly realistic situation.  (Rereading my words, did any of you have time to understand in an exacting fashion at this time of year/night?)

Both OCD and the machla are unfortunately realistic situations for some, Hashem Yishmor. 
Connecting a wife asking for money and OCD is an unexpected connection.
These are the makings of a joke even though the scenario may be sad, painful or even horrific.

I'm sure I would fine tune my definition if I put more thought into it.  Enough for now.  More jokes?

Offline george

• View Profile
No worries.... I just wanna see you smiling. Come on with your BS explanations. I told my wife the joke and she found it funny as well. Whenever I talk about MS for my heavy CC thresholds my wife always jokes with me that she can easily take care of it, I should just take her to Saks and Bloomingdale's.. Now, there are wife's that don't care about their income/expense ratio and they spend thousands of dollars at these stores even they cannot afford it, it's a terrible thing, now my wife is not allowed to make a joke out of it. I'll let her know.
I beg your pardon?
Feel free to disagree, but don't start calling my carefully selected words BS. Many thanks.

Speak to someone who has real, diagnosed OCD for which they require professional treatment (therapy and/or medication). Ask them if their condition is comparable to a woman who spends too much money at Bloomingdales.
I assume many here know about OCD and may even know someone who has OCD, bu they don't really know what its all about and how it affects the person's life and the lives of the people they live with.
Also, as is the case with ADD, the term "OCD" is thrown around all the time in reference to people and behviors that don't actually have real OCD. Maybe that's why people are loose with joking about it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:49:18 AM by george »

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
Can someone please crack a GOOD joke?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline george

• View Profile
Can someone please crack a GOOD joke?
Ok I have one. It's a knock knock joke. But this one, you have to start and then I go. So say knock knock..

Offline george

• View Profile
I don't really have the time to pick my words in an exacting fashion now.  In a nutshell, one type of joke is the unexpected connection of concepts/objects in a possibly realistic situation.  (Rereading my words, did any of you have time to understand in an exacting fashion at this time of year/night?)

Both OCD and the machla are unfortunately realistic situations for some, Hashem Yishmor. 
Connecting a wife asking for money and OCD is an unexpected connection.
These are the makings of a joke even though the scenario may be sad, painful or even horrific.

I'm sure I would fine tune my definition if I put more thought into it.  Enough for now.  More jokes?
Nobody ever suggested that it was not a joke. The question is whether it was funny or not.