Topic Wiki

The deal: 2x, 3x, 4x (or rarely, 5x) Gas Points per GC at Stop and Shop and Giant stores. Sometimes it's all GCs, sometimes just one or two types. Be sure to look at the current circular carefully for details

Credit cards CAN now be used to purchase visa/MC/Amex gift cards. :D

You will not get any Stop & Shop points on Gift Cards that are bought when there is no promotion.

You can get 1 Gas Point for every dollar you spend at S&S, Giant or Peapod all the time, and there are usually a few options in the circular to get bonus points, besides GCs. Be sure to have your S&S card scanned before purchasing or you won't get any Gas Points. You usually have to pay for GCs at the Customer Service desk, which may or may not ask for ID.

Gas Points expire 30 days after they are earned. You can check your current balance by logging in here: http://www.stopandshop.com/savings-and-rewards/rewards-program/gas-rewards/. There is also quite a bit of good general information about how the program works at that link, including a way to look up participating Shell stations and Stop & Shop stores with gas stations.

Gas Points are redeemable at Stop & Shop stores with gas stations and at participating Shell stations only. Not all Shell stations participate. It is recommended that you find out about station participation before driving around looking for one with your gas light on. :)

The link above also has instructions about how to redeem your Gas Points at Shell both within and outside of NJ. (NJ outlaws self-service gas, so it has a little bit different procedure than in other states.)

The maximum redemption is 1500 points per fill, or $1.50 off per gallon, up to 20 gallons, but be aware that if you or the attendant enters your S&S card, your full point balance up to 1500 will be taken for any size fill. Any remaining points above 1500 will remain in your account. The minimum redemption is 100 points ($0.10 off/gal). Any discount you have available from the Fuel Rewards program is in addition to the Stop & Shop discount. For example, if you have 2000 Stop & Shop points and a $0.35 discount from Fuel Rewards, you can purchase gas for $1.85 off per gallon (the maximum $1.50 discount from Stop & Shop plus the Fuel Rewards discount).

Please use
your common sense and do not ruin this deal for others (and yourself) by doing various things that might antagonize or aggravate gas station attendants in your attempt to maximize the 20 gallon limit per redemption. (For instance, the official rules at the link above say that a redemption may be used for one vehicle only.)

Abusing this deal will only mean that gas station owners will be less likely to continue to participate, and that S&S and Shell will be less likely to continue the program going forward.

To get the Cash price without paying cash you can get a refillable shell GC here: http://www.shell.us/products-services/shell-cards/refillable.html
It's refillable online by Visa or Mastercard. Even better: buy a Shell GC at Staples using an Ink card, and get 5 points per dollar.

Ad preview http://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com/stop-and-shop-coupons/stop-shop-ad-preview or https://stopandshop.com/coupons-weekly-circular/weekly-circular/ or https://stopandshop.com/savings/weekly-ad/print-view

For better value, link Fuel Rewards to your Stop & Shop card.
« Last edited by David R on January 13, 2022, 12:14:03 PM »

Author Topic: Gift Card and gas Promo at Stop & Shop or Giant  (Read 877322 times)

Offline bznt

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Gift Card and gas Promo at Stop & Shop or Giant
« Reply #580 on: July 01, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »
I went last week to CS desk. And the rep. Wrote down my license info in a book where they keep track of western union transactions. She said its for the government. 
Last night the same rep was there but she had already clocked out and she saw me. She verified my license and said that she will look at the camera tomorrow And document it. I think its all BS

Offline joey123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: Modern Mashgiach at Chovevei (YCT) #ResidentMashgiach
  • Programs: Daven for the Chayalim #IStandWithIsrael
« Reply #581 on: July 01, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
Milk it when it's still around  :)
To the nOObs out there, feel free to PM with q's. #AlwaysTakesTheHighRoad #LovesHashTags

Offline HDS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 01, 2014, 05:02:14 PM »
It's like anything else we do.

Always be nice to people. Full stop.

Keep in mind that the amounts of money we throw around are plenty enough to get an employee fired if they mishandle something, or if their manager even thinks that there is a chance that they possibly mishandled something. The employees know that they are lucky to have these jobs, and also that their managers wouldn't have trouble finding someone to replace them if necessary.

Know when to ask to speak with a manager to verify a policy and when to politely fold your cards and go try another store.

Offline joey123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Location: Modern Mashgiach at Chovevei (YCT) #ResidentMashgiach
  • Programs: Daven for the Chayalim #IStandWithIsrael
« Reply #583 on: July 01, 2014, 05:21:42 PM »

Know when to ask to speak with a manager to verify a policy and when to politely fold your cards and go try another store.

+1 Well said
To the nOObs out there, feel free to PM with q's. #AlwaysTakesTheHighRoad #LovesHashTags

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #584 on: July 01, 2014, 06:58:19 PM »
I went last week to CS desk. And the rep. Wrote down my license info in a book where they keep track of western union transactions. She said its for the government. 
Last night the same rep was there but she had already clocked out and she saw me. She verified my license and said that she will look at the camera tomorrow And document it. I think its all BS
They keep thos books for internal records sort of like CVSs license scan.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 01, 2014, 07:02:02 PM »
They keep thos books for internal records sort of like CVSs license scan.
They are complying with the law. They must report it. see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Secrecy_Act

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #586 on: July 01, 2014, 07:20:06 PM »
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 01, 2014, 07:28:42 PM »
Give us more than just a -1, Im losing sleep over here!  ;)

Monetary Instrument Log (MIL)[edit]
The MIL must indicate cash purchases of monetary instruments, such as money orders, cashier's checks and traveler's checks, in value totaling $3,000 to $10,000, inclusive. This form is required to be kept on record at the financial institution, and produced at the request of examiners or audit to verify compliance. A financial institution must maintain a Monetary Instrument Log for five years.
Suspicious Activity Report (SAR)[edit]
Main article: Suspicious activity report
The SAR must report any cash transaction where the customer seems to be trying to avoid BSA reporting requirements by not filing CTR or MIL, for example. A SAR must also be filed if the customer's actions suggest that he is laundering money or otherwise violating federal criminal laws and committing wire transfer fraud, check fraud or mysterious disappearances. The bank should not let the customer know that a SAR is being filed. These reports are filed with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network ("FinCEN"). This requirement and its accompanying implied gag order was added by the Annunzio-Wylie Anti-Money Laundering Act § 1517(b) (part of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1992, Pub.L. 102–550, 106 Stat. 3762, 4060).

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 01, 2014, 07:29:43 PM »
I bought only $1500 .

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #589 on: July 01, 2014, 07:46:13 PM »
Give us more than just a -1, Im losing sleep over here!  ;)

Last I checked (and to be honest, that's never), Stop & Shop is not considered a "financial institution" as that term is used in the statute.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 01, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »
Last I checked (and to be honest, that's never), Stop & Shop is not considered a "financial institution" as that term is used in the statute.
even if it was who is using "cash" to make these purchases.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 01, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/10411409   :)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 01, 2014, 08:02:44 PM »
where does it say it is a FI?
Not sure if you are following the convo.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 01, 2014, 08:04:03 PM »
Not sure if you are following the convo.
sorry if I joined late. can you give me a quick recap?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 01, 2014, 08:07:38 PM »

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/10411409   :)

I stand corrected on the financial institution aspect, as shown below.  Thus, as an issuer of MO's, it's falls within the purview of BSA.  That said, I am nonetheless still correct that BSA does not apply, as these are not cash transactions, as noted by ChaimMoskowitz.

(2) “financial institution” means—
(K) an issuer, redeemer, or cashier of travelers’ checks, checks, money orders, or similar instruments;

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 01, 2014, 08:21:30 PM »
I stand corrected on the financial institution aspect, as shown below.  Thus, as an issuer of MO's, it's falls within the purview of BSA.  That said, I am nonetheless still correct that BSA does not apply, as these are not cash transactions, as noted by ChaimMoskowitz.
I cant find anything explicit right now, but according to this article It would imply that gift cards are specifically mentioned to be a suspicious purchase.
I am pretty sure that the stores are filing CTR's on GC purchased with CC also. (even if they may be technically wrong...)

ETA: credit card fraud is specifically mentioned as a suspicious activity that would warrant a report.
18 U.S.C. Section 1344 - Bank Fraud
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:26:21 PM by churnbabychurn »

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 01, 2014, 08:28:58 PM »
I am pretty sure that the stores are filing CTR's on GC purchased with CC also.
i am pretty sure they are not. they might be filling out their bogus form but not a CTR. i think I am getting the hang of this convo.  :)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:33:28 PM by ChaimMoskowitz »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 01, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »
I cant find anything explicit right now, but according to this article It would imply that gift cards are specifically mentioned to be a suspicious purchase.
I am pretty sure that the stores are filing CTR's on GC purchased with CC also. (even if they may be technically wrong...)

ETA: credit card fraud is specifically mentioned as a suspicious activity that would warrant a report.
18 U.S.C. Section 1344 - Bank Fraud
I'm confused. I thought we were talking about MIL? Now you're mentioning CTR.

We're talking about whether S&S has a requirement to take down info for purchases of GC with CC, correct?

Well, we've established that they're not required to file a MIL. And, for all purchases less than $10K, no CTR is required either.

As far as an SAR, that cannot be warranted for every single transaction over X amount. X amount is not per se "suspicious."

Bottom line here is that the "the form" may be internally required by management, but it isn't legally required by Congress.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 01, 2014, 08:40:08 PM »

As far as an SAR, that cannot be warranted for every single transaction over X amount. X amount is not per se "suspicious."

Bottom line here is that the "the form" may be internally required by management, but it isn't legally required by Congress.
Sorry for being confusing.
The bottom line is that that the markets are taking down personal info for people purchasing thousands of dollars worth of gift cards with CC'ds.

I am asserting that they are taking down this info to file Suspicious activity reports. (SAR's) My uneducated guess is that these types of transactions are inherently suspicious. The fact that cash was not used, or that a GC is purchased do not make it less suspicious. They are mandated to file SARs specifically when GC's are involved and specifically when CC fraud is suspected.
They can also voluntarily electronically file a SAR report just to cover their bases even if not strictly required.

It is reckless to assume that they are collecting the info necessary for a SAR only for their internal use.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:47:07 PM by churnbabychurn »