Topic Wiki

The deal: 2x, 3x, 4x (or rarely, 5x) Gas Points per GC at Stop and Shop and Giant stores. Sometimes it's all GCs, sometimes just one or two types. Be sure to look at the current circular carefully for details

Credit cards CAN now be used to purchase visa/MC/Amex gift cards. :D

You will not get any Stop & Shop points on Gift Cards that are bought when there is no promotion.

You can get 1 Gas Point for every dollar you spend at S&S, Giant or Peapod all the time, and there are usually a few options in the circular to get bonus points, besides GCs. Be sure to have your S&S card scanned before purchasing or you won't get any Gas Points. You usually have to pay for GCs at the Customer Service desk, which may or may not ask for ID.

Gas Points expire 30 days after they are earned. You can check your current balance by logging in here: http://www.stopandshop.com/savings-and-rewards/rewards-program/gas-rewards/. There is also quite a bit of good general information about how the program works at that link, including a way to look up participating Shell stations and Stop & Shop stores with gas stations.

Gas Points are redeemable at Stop & Shop stores with gas stations and at participating Shell stations only. Not all Shell stations participate. It is recommended that you find out about station participation before driving around looking for one with your gas light on. :)

The link above also has instructions about how to redeem your Gas Points at Shell both within and outside of NJ. (NJ outlaws self-service gas, so it has a little bit different procedure than in other states.)

The maximum redemption is 1500 points per fill, or $1.50 off per gallon, up to 20 gallons, but be aware that if you or the attendant enters your S&S card, your full point balance up to 1500 will be taken for any size fill. Any remaining points above 1500 will remain in your account. The minimum redemption is 100 points ($0.10 off/gal). Any discount you have available from the Fuel Rewards program is in addition to the Stop & Shop discount. For example, if you have 2000 Stop & Shop points and a $0.35 discount from Fuel Rewards, you can purchase gas for $1.85 off per gallon (the maximum $1.50 discount from Stop & Shop plus the Fuel Rewards discount).

Please use
your common sense and do not ruin this deal for others (and yourself) by doing various things that might antagonize or aggravate gas station attendants in your attempt to maximize the 20 gallon limit per redemption. (For instance, the official rules at the link above say that a redemption may be used for one vehicle only.)

Abusing this deal will only mean that gas station owners will be less likely to continue to participate, and that S&S and Shell will be less likely to continue the program going forward.

To get the Cash price without paying cash you can get a refillable shell GC here: http://www.shell.us/products-services/shell-cards/refillable.html
It's refillable online by Visa or Mastercard. Even better: buy a Shell GC at Staples using an Ink card, and get 5 points per dollar.

Ad preview http://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com/stop-and-shop-coupons/stop-shop-ad-preview or https://stopandshop.com/coupons-weekly-circular/weekly-circular/ or https://stopandshop.com/savings/weekly-ad/print-view

For better value, link Fuel Rewards to your Stop & Shop card.
« Last edited by David R on January 13, 2022, 12:14:03 PM »

Author Topic: Gift Card and gas Promo at Stop & Shop or Giant  (Read 864948 times)

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Gift Card and gas Promo at Stop & Shop or Giant
« Reply #600 on: July 01, 2014, 08:46:58 PM »
It is silly to assume that they are collecting the info necessary for a SAR only for their internal use.
you are way over analyzing this.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 01, 2014, 09:11:18 PM »
you are way over analyzing this.
its not the end of the world either way, we're not really money laundering...

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 01, 2014, 09:21:15 PM »
its not the end of the world either way, we're not really money laundering...
speak for yourself.  :)
I just found a new supply of forks!

Online AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #603 on: July 01, 2014, 11:46:29 PM »
They are mandated to file SARs specifically when GC's are involved

Says... you?

They can also voluntarily electronically file a SAR report just to cover their bases even if not strictly required.

They could, but they don't. The form is pages long and takes awhile to fill out.

It is reckless to assume that they are collecting the info necessary for a SAR only for their internal use.

They are only collecting SOME of the info for an SAR. This is about as reckless as not wearing a seatbelt on an airplane.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline E R K

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 02, 2014, 09:51:18 AM »
I've been buying AT LEAST 2 at a time and they never took out any book to write anything down. They usually ask to see license to compare with cc. In fact, on Monday, I left my license at home and manager on duty who does not know me just compared it to my SS card.

My problem is at gas station. The guy in the afternoon knows how to do the gas points. But I wasn't able to go in the afternoon . There is this one guy on at 6PM who does not know how to do it. (I guess not that many people near me do gas rewards and I live in highly populated Jewish area!) and he argues and says you got 10 cents off! I laugh cuz I should have $10 off and 10 cents is for using cash. So he tells me he is off duty 6AM next day. I come at 6:30am And he's still there! I have a flight to catch but want to fill up cars for my kids to use. (Yes, I'm an older DDFer)
I went across the street and I ACTUALLY PAID FOR GAS !! It was awful! I got so spoiled.

Offline joey123

• View Profile
  • Location: Modern Mashgiach at Chovevei (YCT) #ResidentMashgiach
  • Programs: Daven for the Chayalim #IStandWithIsrael
« Reply #605 on: July 02, 2014, 10:00:04 AM »
I've been buying AT LEAST 2 at a time and they never took out any book to write anything down. They usually ask to see license to compare with cc. In fact, on Monday, I left my license at home and manager on duty who does not know me just compared it to my SS card.

My problem is at gas station. The guy in the afternoon knows how to do the gas points. But I wasn't able to go in the afternoon . There is this one guy on at 6PM who does not know how to do it. (I guess not that many people near me do gas rewards and I live in highly populated Jewish area!) and he argues and says you got 10 cents off! I laugh cuz I should have $10 off and 10 cents is for using cash. So he tells me he is off duty 6AM next day. I come at 6:30am And he's still there! I have a flight to catch but want to fill up cars for my kids to use. (Yes, I'm an older DDFer)
I went across the street and I ACTUALLY PAID FOR GAS !! It was awful! I got so spoiled.

It's not so complicated. Just tell him to enter your pin number into the machine.
To the nOObs out there, feel free to PM with q's. #AlwaysTakesTheHighRoad #LovesHashTags

Offline MarkS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 02, 2014, 10:03:57 AM »
Moved from Amex Offers thread:
ok, now you are talking... do these promotions have limits? Yeah, I know I am OT, sorry
No limits - buy up to $5,000 in gift cards in a day = 20,000 gas points with current 4X promo.

Read the wiki for a lot more info

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 02, 2014, 10:08:37 AM »
It's not so complicated. Just tell him to enter your pin number into the machine.
+1. Or offer to do it yourself.
Click on the button to enter stop and shop card number and put it in. Then swipe payment method and you're good to go.

Offline E R K

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 02, 2014, 10:17:11 AM »
He swipes my card. I pay inside as I live in NY and it's self serve. I've asked the afternoon guy to teach night guy.. He's probably too stubborn to learn! I also tried a different gas station and even though they had S&S signs up, they were clueless on how to do it. I had them call manager but he said they don't have the correct machine.
I have an old S&S card. Do your new ones have a magnetic strip or bar code? Mine is a bar code.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 02, 2014, 10:17:50 AM »
He swipes my card. I pay inside as I live in NY and it's self serve. I've asked the afternoon guy to teach night guy.. He's probably too stubborn to learn! I also tried a different gas station and even though they had S&S signs up, they were clueless on how to do it. I had them call manager but he said they don't have the correct machine.
I have an old S&S card. Do your new ones have a magnetic strip or bar code? Mine is a bar code.
Do it yourself and key in the number!

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 02, 2014, 10:37:21 AM »
it sounds like he's paying cash inside

I'd suggest just paying with a cc at the pump so you can do it all yourself

Offline E R K

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 02, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »
At pump? If I pay w CC then I pay cc price. W cash I pay 10 cents less. But with so many gas points that will expire in 30 days, I guess it's not so awful to pay $3.50 more in order to save 2.20/ gal. Next time I'll have to experiment when I'm not rushed.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 02, 2014, 10:50:02 AM »
Does it specifically say something about entering the number, or you just type it in?
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline MarkS

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 02, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »
Does it specifically say something about entering the number, or you just type it in?
When you arrive at the pump there's an option that says either Enter alternate ID or enter Stop and Shop ID. Click that and then there's a screen to type your number into.

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 02, 2014, 10:54:25 AM »
Before you take off the nozzel. There is a option on the screen that says "rewards " hit that. Then it will ask stop and shop or something else. Hit stop and shop. It will say either enter the number or swipe the card.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: July 02, 2014, 10:55:06 AM »
When you arrive at the pump there's an option that says either Enter alternate IS or enter Stop and Shop ID. Click that and then there's a screen to type your number into.
Before you take off the nozzel. There is a option on the screen that says "rewards " hit that. Then it will ask stop and shop or something else. Hit stop and shop. It will say either enter the number or swipe the card.
Thank you!
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline E R K

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 02, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
Thanks all. Will try when I get back.

Offline E R K

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 02, 2014, 11:00:03 AM »
Hey Marco, maybe we use same station?

Offline srap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 02, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »
At pump? If I pay w CC then I pay cc price. W cash I pay 10 cents less. But with so many gas points that will expire in 30 days, I guess it's not so awful to pay $3.50 more in order to save 2.20/ gal. Next time I'll have to experiment when I'm not rushed.
You are still saving $73.50 if that is what you do!  If you want that extra $3.50 also, then pay with a Shell CC at pump.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:04:47 AM by srap »

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 02, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »
Or use a shell gift card that you buy at staples for %5 off with your ink card

Or what I did . I got shell gift cards at the recent home depot and Lowes amex promos for %20 off and I pay the cash price at the pump.