Topic Wiki

The deal: 2x, 3x, 4x (or rarely, 5x) Gas Points per GC at Stop and Shop and Giant stores. Sometimes it's all GCs, sometimes just one or two types. Be sure to look at the current circular carefully for details

Credit cards CAN now be used to purchase visa/MC/Amex gift cards. :D

You will not get any Stop & Shop points on Gift Cards that are bought when there is no promotion.

You can get 1 Gas Point for every dollar you spend at S&S, Giant or Peapod all the time, and there are usually a few options in the circular to get bonus points, besides GCs. Be sure to have your S&S card scanned before purchasing or you won't get any Gas Points. You usually have to pay for GCs at the Customer Service desk, which may or may not ask for ID.

Gas Points expire 30 days after they are earned. You can check your current balance by logging in here: http://www.stopandshop.com/savings-and-rewards/rewards-program/gas-rewards/. There is also quite a bit of good general information about how the program works at that link, including a way to look up participating Shell stations and Stop & Shop stores with gas stations.

Gas Points are redeemable at Stop & Shop stores with gas stations and at participating Shell stations only. Not all Shell stations participate. It is recommended that you find out about station participation before driving around looking for one with your gas light on. :)

The link above also has instructions about how to redeem your Gas Points at Shell both within and outside of NJ. (NJ outlaws self-service gas, so it has a little bit different procedure than in other states.)

The maximum redemption is 1500 points per fill, or $1.50 off per gallon, up to 20 gallons, but be aware that if you or the attendant enters your S&S card, your full point balance up to 1500 will be taken for any size fill. Any remaining points above 1500 will remain in your account. The minimum redemption is 100 points ($0.10 off/gal). Any discount you have available from the Fuel Rewards program is in addition to the Stop & Shop discount. For example, if you have 2000 Stop & Shop points and a $0.35 discount from Fuel Rewards, you can purchase gas for $1.85 off per gallon (the maximum $1.50 discount from Stop & Shop plus the Fuel Rewards discount).

Please use
your common sense and do not ruin this deal for others (and yourself) by doing various things that might antagonize or aggravate gas station attendants in your attempt to maximize the 20 gallon limit per redemption. (For instance, the official rules at the link above say that a redemption may be used for one vehicle only.)

Abusing this deal will only mean that gas station owners will be less likely to continue to participate, and that S&S and Shell will be less likely to continue the program going forward.

To get the Cash price without paying cash you can get a refillable shell GC here: http://www.shell.us/products-services/shell-cards/refillable.html
It's refillable online by Visa or Mastercard. Even better: buy a Shell GC at Staples using an Ink card, and get 5 points per dollar.

Ad preview http://www.livingrichwithcoupons.com/stop-and-shop-coupons/stop-shop-ad-preview or https://stopandshop.com/coupons-weekly-circular/weekly-circular/ or https://stopandshop.com/savings/weekly-ad/print-view

For better value, link Fuel Rewards to your Stop & Shop card.
« Last edited by David R on January 13, 2022, 12:14:03 PM »

Author Topic: Gift Card and gas Promo at Stop & Shop or Giant  (Read 881505 times)

Offline E R K

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Gift Card and gas Promo at Stop & Shop or Giant
« Reply #620 on: July 02, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
By me only $25 shell GC.

Offline bznt

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 02, 2014, 11:39:47 AM »
If you buy gas in new jersey . a $25 gift card is enough for a 1 car fill up

Offline joey123

• View Profile
  • Location: Modern Mashgiach at Chovevei (YCT) #ResidentMashgiach
  • Programs: Daven for the Chayalim #IStandWithIsrael
« Reply #622 on: July 02, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »

That is with the stop and shop gas rewards.
To the nOObs out there, feel free to PM with q's. #AlwaysTakesTheHighRoad #LovesHashTags

Offline E R K

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 02, 2014, 11:47:02 AM »
I use all 35 gallons.

Offline joey123

• View Profile
  • Location: Modern Mashgiach at Chovevei (YCT) #ResidentMashgiach
  • Programs: Daven for the Chayalim #IStandWithIsrael
« Reply #624 on: July 02, 2014, 11:49:17 AM »
I use all 35 gallons.

I can only use like 32. Good enough for me. Maybe I will bring another friend along next time to really max out.
To the nOObs out there, feel free to PM with q's. #AlwaysTakesTheHighRoad #LovesHashTags

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 02, 2014, 12:54:42 PM »
At pump? If I pay w CC then I pay cc price. W cash I pay 10 cents less. But with so many gas points that will expire in 30 days, I guess it's not so awful to pay $3.50 more in order to save 2.20/ gal. Next time I'll have to experiment when I'm not rushed.
Here, I did the math for you. Assuming the following particulars, you still come out ahead using your credit card, regardless of how many gallons you purchase at once:
  • Your Shell station sells gas at $4.509 or less per gallon with payment by credit card.
  • As you stated, your Shell station charges $0.10 less than the credit card price when you pay cash.
  • You are using 2200 points to get $2.20 off per gallon.
  • Your credit card earns you at least 1% for gas purchases.

Of course using gift cards purchased in the right places with the right credit cards is even better, but what I am pointing out is that in most cases you are better off using even a lousy credit card rather than using cash. If my assumptions are correct, you should bypass the clueless attendant and do it yourself at the pump.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 01:00:57 PM by David R »

Offline HDS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 02, 2014, 01:15:05 PM »
I now have several Shell GCs with under a dollar left on them. If I go to a self-serve station, can I use multiple cards to pay for one fill? Will Shell gift card CS combine them for me?

I will try the first tonight and I've already sent an email for the second - just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 02, 2014, 01:16:44 PM »
I asked today and was told that they will be seperete transactions. you have to put back tue nozzle for each card.

Offline David R

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 02, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »
To earn 2200 points (assuming no bonus points) I would need 5x 500 GC = fees of 30.
Obviously the math changes when there is 5x rewards...
That's not a good assumption. Normally there are no gas rewards at all for buying gift cards, so buying five $500 gift cards would earn you zero gas rewards points. With the current promotion, you get 4 points per dollar.

Offline HDS

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 02, 2014, 01:30:59 PM »
I asked today and was told that they will be seperete transactions. you have to put back tue nozzle for each card.

No - that's for sure wrong. I've paid with multiple cards before in NJ, the attendant just has to be willing to do it for you.

I may just do that - fill up in NJ, find out the final amount owed, and then hand the guy a handful of cards - possibly plus cash. Even if I overpay by a few cents, I'll have effectively used the several dollars stuck on low-balance cards.

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: July 02, 2014, 01:33:07 PM »
How ? You say that you will pay cash and at the end you have them a dew cards to process it inside ?

Offline modechai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 02, 2014, 01:59:31 PM »
Is there a issue with using a 50 dollar shell gc to buy 35  gallons in nj?

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 02, 2014, 02:01:05 PM »

Why should there be a issue ?

ERK said that he could only find $25 shell gift cards . so I said that a $25 card should be enough for 1 car fill up

Offline modechai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 02, 2014, 02:04:16 PM »
cause someone wrote upthread about credit card authorization issues.
just confirming it doesnt apply to gift cards

Offline HDS

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 02, 2014, 02:06:45 PM »
How ? You say that you will pay cash and at the end you have them a dew cards to process it inside ?

Was this to me?

Yes - exactly. Since I already know that my station will do more than one card, I don't think they would mind (too much! :)) if I did this. Once I run out of Shell GCs I think I'm going to switch over to Freedom for this quarter.

Offline bznt

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 02, 2014, 02:08:36 PM »
How long ago was the post ?

Because people reported that shell updated there system that after you put in the stop and shop info . the authorization will be on the lower price . so you should not have a issue getting 35 gallons

Offline WAM

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 02, 2014, 02:09:52 PM »
He swipes my card. I pay inside as I live in NY and it's self serve. I've asked the afternoon guy to teach night guy.. He's probably too stubborn to learn! I also tried a different gas station and even though they had S&S signs up, they were clueless on how to do it. I had them call manager but he said they don't have the correct machine.
I have an old S&S card. Do your new ones have a magnetic strip or bar code? Mine is a bar code.
This happened to me once, to a new guy on the overnight shift. He didn't hire how to process the s&s card, so I asked him to show me his computer screen. I noticed an option that something similar to "reward card" near the middle of  the bottom of the screen. He tapped on that, & selected the s&s option, then scanned my card & it worked.

Offline modechai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 02, 2014, 02:20:52 PM »
How long ago was the post ?

Because people reported that shell updated there system that after you put in the stop and shop info . the authorization will be on the lower price . so you should not have a issue getting 35 gallons
idk could be a while ago

Offline lunatic

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 02, 2014, 02:35:22 PM »
Has anyone bought GC with an Amex Blue Cash. Does Amex give the 3x (or 6X) cash back for grocery?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 02, 2014, 02:38:53 PM »
Has anyone bought GC with an Amex Blue Cash. Does Amex give the 3x (or 6X) cash back for grocery?
It is coded as a grocery store. so should be full amount.
Quaerite et Invenietis.