Author Topic: Palm OS in the modern day (CENTRO USERS CHIME IN?)  (Read 5799 times)

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Palm OS in the modern day (CENTRO USERS CHIME IN?)
« on: November 25, 2013, 04:24:01 PM »
I can't believe I'm asking this- I need some Palm OS help. I've openly bashed Palm OS so many times, this takes a great deal of humility for me. But I've never seen a stronger community of Palm OS users (after the demise of the company, especially) than I did here. So I'm hoping some of you folks remember enough of it from not-too-long ago, and can help fill me in.

You see, my wife (still on a $30 SERO plan, won't let me upgrade her) replaced her feature phone this week with an adorable pink Centro. The last time I owned a Palm OS device, the screen was still black and white (monochrome- not even grey scales!), so I'm a bit out of my element here.

First things first:
1) The device is used and didn't come with a sync cable (only charging). I'm assuming, like any other smartphone, the cable isn't necessary because everything can technically be done OTA, right?

2)I don't need palm desktop on my computer, right? I'd like this to just be a self-contained device. If we can set it up to sync with her Google contacts and calendar, that'd be amazing. So far, the forums/threads I'm reading are from back in 2009, when Google was offering their exchange activesync emulator, so windows mobile and iOS at the time could grab and sync data. But I know Google pulled that support years ago, so is there an alternative to do that now on Palm OS?

3)How does one install software without a sync cable? Storage card? Email attachment?

4)Any must-have applications for basic functionality? Music/video players, games, etc, also welcome.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 07:01:22 PM by Mordy »
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
Re: Palm OS in the modern day (CENTRO USERS CHIME IN?)
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »
Ok, I answered some of my own questions. Hotsync can be achieved via BT (and I have bluetooth on my win7 laptop), but it turns out I don't even need that because I can copy PRC files directly to the storage card and run from there.
Contacts were transferred from her old phone via BT (hurray for bluetooth again!), Sprint mail set up to push her gmail to the handset, and I think we'll live without Calendar sync (unless someone can suggest an OTA google sync solution that works well).

So far so good. Google Maps with location support was hard to find, it seems Google no longer offers the PRC files. All the references to it on software sites linked back to Google's page, which now has information for the Android versions ONLY. Thankfully, a quick trip to the internet wayback machine found a version of the page from 2008, where the link was still alive and well. Thankfully the PRC file still exists physically on the server, it just was no longer referenced, so the link worked. Found IBM's JVM installation files, having trouble getting it installed properly to work with Opera Mini (or maybe that's just how buggy it is supposed to be?). In the end, all this was really more work than it should have been- I'm sure some of you guys probably have the PRC files I'm scrounging around looking for already!

On that note, things I'm still trying to figure out:
1) Google Voice mail. I know there isn't an official Google Voice app, but can you listen to messages people left in VM? I tried clicking the link for the voice message from the notification email, which downloads it as an mp3 file. But pTunes (or whatever the default music player is) says unsupported format. I installed TCPMP hoping it would play the file, but I can't get it to open in there, it keeps trying to send it to pTunes. Very annoying. Any Centro users figure out a way to do this?

2) Siddur (and other jewishcontent.org apps) don't seem to close. Pressing the Home button does not take me back to the launcher, it seems to have been claimed by the app. I can to press other buttons to get me into something like mail first, then I can press home from there. I know folks go on about how great the Jewish software is on these things, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something simple here. How are you supposed to close that app?

3) I'm assuming modern services like Dropbox and Evernote have no way to access them other than the clunky web interfaces, right? Speaking of which, my G-d I hate blazer. I wish I could get Opera Mini working as well as it does on regular feature phones, or any other browser for that matter. Seems like Blazer is really it, though. And it stinks! :/

4) I know there used to be versions of Pandora, some sort of Skype thing, etc, but these apps are long gone from the hosted servers (much like Google Maps, which I was lucky enough to find with a loophole). Does anyone have an archive of old Palm apps somewhere? It's really getting harder and harder to find anything out there for this OS.

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 10:17:08 PM »
I can't believe I'm asking this- I need some Palm OS help. I've openly bashed Palm OS so many times, this takes a great deal of humility for me. But I've never seen a stronger community of Palm OS users (after the demise of the company, especially) than I did here. So I'm hoping some of you folks remember enough of it from not-too-long ago, and can help fill me in.

You see, my wife (still on a $30 SERO plan, won't let me upgrade her) replaced her feature phone this week with an adorable pink Centro. The last time I owned a Palm OS device, the screen was still black and white (monochrome- not even grey scales!), so I'm a bit out of my element here.

First things first:
1) The device is used and didn't come with a sync cable (only charging). I'm assuming, like any other smartphone, the cable isn't necessary because everything can technically be done OTA, right?

2)I don't need palm desktop on my computer, right? I'd like this to just be a self-contained device. If we can set it up to sync with her Google contacts and calendar, that'd be amazing. So far, the forums/threads I'm reading are from back in 2009, when Google was offering their exchange activesync emulator, so windows mobile and iOS at the time could grab and sync data. But I know Google pulled that support years ago, so is there an alternative to do that now on Palm OS?

3)How does one install software without a sync cable? Storage card? Email attachment?

4)Any must-have applications for basic functionality? Music/video players, games, etc, also welcome.

Thanks!
1&2- You don't need the hotsync cable, though some people love the hotsync feature (as there is not much OTA to speak of :) . You will need to find a 64bit driver if thats what you have (IIRC).
3) You can either put it on the card in the Palm\Launcher folder or email (the former should be easier).
4)Versamail is much better that the Sprint email, though it does not support push. I will try to get my apps online when I have a chance.

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 10:24:19 PM »
Ok, I answered some of my own questions. Hotsync can be achieved via BT (and I have bluetooth on my win7 laptop), but it turns out I don't even need that because I can copy PRC files directly to the storage card and run from there.
Contacts were transferred from her old phone via BT (hurray for bluetooth again!), Sprint mail set up to push her gmail to the handset, and I think we'll live without Calendar sync (unless someone can suggest an OTA google sync solution that works well).

So far so good. Google Maps with location support was hard to find, it seems Google no longer offers the PRC files. All the references to it on software sites linked back to Google's page, which now has information for the Android versions ONLY. Thankfully, a quick trip to the internet wayback machine found a version of the page from 2008, where the link was still alive and well. Thankfully the PRC file still exists physically on the server, it just was no longer referenced, so the link worked. Found IBM's JVM installation files, having trouble getting it installed properly to work with Opera Mini (or maybe that's just how buggy it is supposed to be?). In the end, all this was really more work than it should have been- I'm sure some of you guys probably have the PRC files I'm scrounging around looking for already!

On that note, things I'm still trying to figure out:
1) Google Voice mail. I know there isn't an official Google Voice app, but can you listen to messages people left in VM? I tried clicking the link for the voice message from the notification email, which downloads it as an mp3 file. But pTunes (or whatever the default music player is) says unsupported format. I installed TCPMP hoping it would play the file, but I can't get it to open in there, it keeps trying to send it to pTunes. Very annoying. Any Centro users figure out a way to do this?

2) Siddur (and other jewishcontent.org apps) don't seem to close. Pressing the Home button does not take me back to the launcher, it seems to have been claimed by the app. I can to press other buttons to get me into something like mail first, then I can press home from there. I know folks go on about how great the Jewish software is on these things, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something simple here. How are you supposed to close that app?

3) I'm assuming modern services like Dropbox and Evernote have no way to access them other than the clunky web interfaces, right? Speaking of which, my G-d I hate blazer. I wish I could get Opera Mini working as well as it does on regular feature phones, or any other browser for that matter. Seems like Blazer is really it, though. And it stinks! :/

4) I know there used to be versions of Pandora, some sort of Skype thing, etc, but these apps are long gone from the hosted servers (much like Google Maps, which I was lucky enough to find with a loophole). Does anyone have an archive of old Palm apps somewhere? It's really getting harder and harder to find anything out there for this OS.

1-GV discontinued (updated?) their API so any apps which existed went poof. You can call in to listen to messages.. You might want to try opening it from the googlevoice webpage it might work to stream from there.
2- That's funny, are you sure the button works. If you go into prefs then buttons you can rassign buttons. Also you can try holding it down to see what happens (it should bring up the most recent apps. This feature was originally an add-on application which was then bought out by Palm. It is now standard on Android etc..).
3- Opera was always buggy on Palm OS :(

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 01:19:08 AM »
1-GV discontinued (updated?) their API so any apps which existed went poof. You can call in to listen to messages.. You might want to try opening it from the googlevoice webpage it might work to stream from there.

I think the webpage is supposed to load from the link (if you click the link from a desktop browser, it will load in browser), but if it detects that your browser can't handle it (as it seems blazer can not- shocker), it appears to automagically redirect you towards the mp3 download. Only issue is that the mp3 does not play in ptunes, and I can't figure out how to direct it to open elsewhere instead. I'll bet TCPMP can play it if I could force it to open there- but to have my wife manually download the file, store it, open TCPMP and load it from the dialog box, and THEN finally be able to hear it... well, I'm fairly certain she just won't bother.

2- That's funny, are you sure the button works. If you go into prefs then buttons you can rassign buttons. Also you can try holding it down to see what happens (it should bring up the most recent apps. This feature was originally an add-on application which was then bought out by Palm. It is now standard on Android etc..).

Yes, the button does work. It is used extensively elsewhere. I know you can reassign buttons, but I believe you can't reassign home to anything else. It does respond in the app, as if I pressed the D-pad to the side though (scrolls to next or previous item on the index, I forget which). It looks like it is acting like one of those early Palm Pilots that didn't have a D-pad, only and up and down scroll and relied on the buttons beside it to be left/right. I've noticed some old games act like that as well, as that used to be the way Palm Pilots buttons were laid out. I'd like the app NOT to take control of the buttons, however. To be fair, I "installed it" by just copying it into RAM from the storage card. I couldn't figure out how to install anything at first, so I put the SD card in, and when I realized I didn't have a file manager, I emailed myself one that I found. But I still couldn't figure out how to click on them and make them actually do anything (I didn't realize it needed to go in Palm/Launcher), so I just copied it to the internal storage, and suddenly it showed up in the launcher. Maybe that isn't how this is supposed to be done?
Oh, I also found the add-on PRC to make the fonts hi-res (the original was killing me, those fonts are awful). "installed" the same way.

3- Opera was always buggy on Palm OS :(
Yeah, but this isn't just buggy. This is not functional. Then again, the "IBM Java" was installed the same way I did everything else- copied it to the internal storage and poof. I read somewhere that the 4.1 beta was more stable than the release, so I found the beta and installed it. Not sure if the information I got was wrong or if IBM Java is to blame, but the thing wouldn't actually load anything. As soon as I tried to type in an address, it would dump me out to the launcher. I tried removing it and replacing it with the latest version on m.opera.com, but that doesn't work either (looks like it needs to be one made for Palm, not generic Java). Now it crashes as soon as it loads, even if I don't touch anything.

Did I mess this up by improperly installing apps? Perhaps I should hard reset and start over with a proper bluetooth hotsync? Or will that truly not make a difference?

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »
Itis just fine to install the way you did. Opera needs more than that IIRC, don't remember exactly :(

Offline philbenjoe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Avis Prefered
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 03:32:01 AM »
I've got a palm centro and don't seem to have the issues you have with the siddur. I've got a siddur from jewishcontent.org. Its definitely hard to find apps or tech support nowadays it almost seems like they took it all off the web....
"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?" Dr Seuss

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 10:44:27 PM »
Itis just fine to install the way you did. Opera needs more than that IIRC, don't remember exactly :(

I sort of got it working, found an old hosted .prc of Opera Mini for Palm OS. But it wants to upgrade to the latest version when I start it up, which brings me to a blazer link for the latest .jar that isn't compatible anymore. I can click hide and use it until the next time it asks for me, but the whole thing really is too buggy to use much. A real shame, her old Lotus and Rumor Touch ran the latest Opera Mini like a champ. Seems weird that Palm OS, despite being an ACTUAL smartphone operating system, chokes on basic browser selection. :/

Most of the apps that are missing now wouldn't be that big of a deal if there was one decent browser, since almost everything has a half decent webkit/html5 compatible portal for generic mobile devices. That holds true for services like Evernote, Dropbox, Grooveshark, etc... but without native apps or a decent browser, this thing is dead in the water. If only she didn't hate Windows Mobile, so many more options there... *sigh*

I've got a palm centro and don't seem to have the issues you have with the siddur. I've got a siddur from jewishcontent.org. Its definitely hard to find apps or tech support nowadays it almost seems like they took it all off the web....

I also got mine from jewishcontent.org. I clicked on Siddur and chose the latest Nusach Ari. Then added the hi-res fonts prc to make it more legible. Why wouldn't mine work but yours would? Hm. Can you share your PRC? maybe I'll try uninstalling and using yours if it is an earlier version without this problem.

But yes- it seems like much of the Palm OS software library has been obliterated from the internet. Like they want to pretend it didn't happen... very sad and very annoying. Someone should have archived this stuff for posterity!

Offline philbenjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 03:04:56 AM »
im not a tech guy...so please explain prc so i can see if i can help.

Offline smbalt

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 07:39:40 AM »
I am dumping my 'adorable pink centro' in the next week or so.  If she wants a cable, I should have one available (and perhaps other stuff).

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »
lol

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 08:53:58 AM »
PRC is the file type for Palm applications. Elikay has actually been in touch with me via private message about locating them, so I'm OK for now. Thanks for the offer though!
I am dumping my 'adorable pink centro' in the next week or so.  If she wants a cable, I should have one available (and perhaps other stuff).

Sure, let me know!

Offline philbenjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 01:50:03 AM »

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 03:47:11 PM »
dont get it....please explain
If you don't known what PRC is I doubt you can help.

Offline WAM

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 12:19:02 AM »
I have a whole bunch of Palm files (PRC's + docs) somewhere. If anybody is looking for some, PM me with your email address, I'll try to send you then

Offline philbenjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 12:50:30 AM »
If you don't known what PRC is I doubt you can help.
sorry to hear that....

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »
Hello!  I'm thrilled that this thread exists.  I am an avid user of my antiquated Palm Pilot (Zire 71) and have wholeheartedly decided not to incorporate my 15 yr database with  telephone or internet capabilities.  1) Since a phone is more out of my purse than a Palm, more of a chance of losing it and 2) I believe NOTHING is confidential on a phone any longer (this info is trickling down to the average person more and more now, but it is old hat for techie people.)

PROBLEM:  Because of an incomplete hotsync, my Palm has lost 98% of the address book. Hotsync log shows that the Palm synced with the PC (however, it still does NOT show the last few weeks of new address data), but the PC did not sync with the Palm.  I need to find where the new data is kept on the PC in order to retrieve it.
QUESTIONS: 1) Does anyone know the precise sequential process of what takes place when a Palm syncs to a PC?  (i.e., Where does all the data, including my not previously synced data, go after pushing the hotsync button and before it is erased from the Palm?)
     2)  Then, how do I retrieve that file?
STATUS: I can not resync my Palm, meaning I have no address/phone number/data outside of my home computer's 3-week-ago version,

Offline srap

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 02:57:16 PM »
Hello!  I'm thrilled that this thread exists.  I am an avid user of my antiquated Palm Pilot (Zire 71) and have wholeheartedly decided not to incorporate my 15 yr database with  telephone or internet capabilities.  1) Since a phone is more out of my purse than a Palm, more of a chance of losing it and 2) I believe NOTHING is confidential on a phone any longer (this info is trickling down to the average person more and more now, but it is old hat for techie people.)

PROBLEM:            Because of an incomplete hotsync, my Palm has lost 98% of the address book. Hotsync log shows that the Palm synced with the PC (however, it still does
                          NOT show the last few weeks of new address data), but the PC did not sync with the Palm. 
QUESTIONS:   1)  Does anyone know the precise sequential process of what takes place when a Palm syncs to a PC?  (i.e., Where does all the data, including my not previously synced data, go after pushing the hotsync button and before it is erased from the Palm?)
STATUS:         I can not resync my Palm, meaning I have no address/phone number/data outside of my home computer's 3-week-ago version,
Oops.  Some unknown to me shortcut just prematurely posted this.  Sorry.

STATUS cont:       I can not resync so as not to overwrite any file which may have my missing info in it. 
Can someone PLEASE help me with this? (Have you ever had the experience of not having access to needed information tens of times during the course of the day???!?)
Thank you in advance-----SP

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 06:35:30 PM »
I never used hotsync always backed up onto micro sd, I can't really help you. My guess is that its gone.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 10:00:27 PM »

PROBLEM:  Because of an incomplete hotsync, my Palm has lost 98% of the address book. Hotsync log shows that the Palm synced with the PC (however, it still does NOT show the last few weeks of new address data), but the PC did not sync with the Palm.  I need to find where the new data is kept on the PC in order to retrieve it.
QUESTIONS: 1) Does anyone know the precise sequential process of what takes place when a Palm syncs to a PC?  (i.e., Where does all the data, including my not previously synced data, go after pushing the hotsync button and before it is erased from the Palm?)
STATUS: I can not resync my Palm, meaning I have no address/phone number/data outside of my home computer's 3-week-ago version,
Look either in 'My Documents' for Palm OS Backup (or something similar), or under c:\program files\palm