Topic Wiki

DEAD - 10/13/14

READ THE WIKI! IT IS VERY CLEAR!

The Basics:

You can send up to $1,000/month directly from your CCs or GCs, and receive the same amount, which can then be withdrawn to your bank account. (No, you don't withdraw the money to your CC or GC.) These limits reset on the 1st of the calendar month at 12am Pacific Time.

Setup:

1. Although AP requires a SSN, you will not get a hard pull against your credit. You will not get a 1099-K unless you are receiving over $20k per year AND have done 200 transactions.

2. The driver's license number on the account need not be a real number, only the same format.

3. You need to connect and verify a bank account to be able to send $1,000/month. Otherwise, only $500 will be allowed. (Also, you will have difficulty withdrawing money to your bank account if it is not connected to your account.)

4. Verification can sometimes be instant if you log into your bank account through Amazon, but sometimes (particularly with smaller banks or CUs, it seems) the only working option is to allow AP to make two small deposits to you account (less than a dollar, often much less) and then reporting the exact amounts thereby verifying that the account is yours. (If you want to use AP as described here, don't even think about trying to profit from the small deposits by opening up a ton of accounts. You have been warned.)

5. The receiver account must add a credit card to be able to capture the funds sent.

Sending Money

1. Make sure to select "Goods and Services" when sending money. This is important so that the transaction codes as a purchase (for which you will get CC points/miles) and not a cash advance (for which you will not).

2. For some reason, when sending the value from GCs, AP will often prevent the full value from being sent unless, when connecting the GC with your account, you first enter the wrong expiration date and then change it to the correct one. <blinkblink>... <shrug>... but it works.  Or wait a week after putting the GC into your account for the hold to be removed from the funds.

3. And no, Amazon Gift Card balance cannot be used with Amazon Payments.

Multiple accounts:

1. It is highly recommended not to access both accounts of a transaction from the same IP address. Please see the IP Information section below for more... IP Information.

2. Most people didn't have problems opening two accounts per SSN even if they link to the same bank account, but it is risky to send money back and forth between them. Some report a similar risk with sending or receiving with a spouse who has the same bank account linked to their account.

3. Sending money using the same CC from different accounts is a known cause of shutdown.

Error messages and potential delays

1. If you get a message stating "We are unable to complete your transaction until further review. It can take up to 24 hours to complete this transaction. We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause," relax and be patient. It is perfectly normal.

2. Withdrawals are never authorized immediately. Be patient. It usually doesn't even take a full day. Likewise it's perfectly normal for you to get a message that your withdrawal has succeeded but it doesn't show up in your bank account yet even as pending. It will be there soon. Be patient.

3. Verifying a bank account via the deposit method can take a few days. Please anticipate and account for the extra time needed for the deposit method if you are planning to set up and use an account for the first time late in the month.

IP Information:

1. To check the IP address of the device you're using, Google "how to check my IP address"

2. All devices using the same WiFi router have the same IP address.

3. A computer connected to the Internet with a router has a different IP than it does if connected to the Internet without a router.

4. Browsing incognito or in private mode does not change your IP address.

5. To change the IP address of a computer, turn off the computer, wait a few minutes, then turn it back on. Check if you have a new IP address. If not, turn it off for 8+ hours (overnight or something) and check again. You will likely have a new IP address.

6. On a phone or other device (with it's own data) switch WiFi off. To change IP addresses, switch to 'airplane mode' and switch back and you will usually have a new IP address. Note: If your phone or tablet has WiFi only, it will always have the same IP address as other devices that connect through the same WiFi.

PBaruch's suggestions:

1. It is no longer generally considered safe to have multiple AP accounts for the same person.  Yes, there are exceptions and some people have had luck but I would caution against it.  If you are the reckless type go to number 2 below.  If not, please proceed to number 3 below.

2. If you do decide to try your luck and open 2 or more AP accounts for the same person, do not send $ back and forth between these two accounts.

3. Do not send $ back and forth between people in the same household.  Again, there are exceptions and some people have had luck but it is a trigger for a shutdown.  The way AP views it is if you are in the same household, give em cash. 

4. If there are multiple AP users in the same household, do NOT use the same IP address.  If you do, be warned.  You will very likely be shut down.

5. If you are shut down, you may have luck reopening your AP account by varying the spelling of your name and changing your address. 

6. If you want to send $ to a spouse, it helps if he/she has a different last name and address.

7. I would caution against any complete circles or triangles.  For instance, do not send A-B-C-A.  Rather, send A-B-C-D.

8. If you need bank accounts to link to AP, it is VERY easy to open multiple accounts (with no fee) by using Capitol One 360: https://home.capitalone360.com/ (Be aware that this is likely a hard pull.)

9. Do NOT do instant account verification. Let them send deposits instead to verify the account.  By doing so, I do not believe that they know who owns the account. This may be useful if you use some of my other suggestions.

These are my suggestions based upon personal experience and my gleaning of other posts.

Poll

Were you shut down?

Yes, but i got it back! :)
7 (2.9%)
Yes. :(
55 (22.5%)
No, B"H!  :)
149 (61.1%)
Yes and No (I have more then 1 account)
33 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 244

Author Topic: Amazon Payments Master Thread (RIP 10/13/14)  (Read 1139474 times)

Offline DBK

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Payments Master Thread
« Reply #3960 on: January 28, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
theres no telling, I edited my previous post
Thanks!

Offline WAM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: January 28, 2014, 08:23:59 PM »
I tried using AP for the first time in a long time. It said my account is suspended. But I see that I can still purchase on Amazon. Even though it said that one of the features that was suspended was purchasing. I never received an email about it.

I got the same. You may just need to update the account info, that's what they wanted from me. They gave me issues with the info that I put in, so I'm waiting to see what happens...

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: January 28, 2014, 09:54:42 PM »
I got the same. You may just need to update the account info, that's what they wanted from me. They gave me issues with the info that I put in, so I'm waiting to see what happens...
Did they contact you? I haven't been contacted yet.

Offline yoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: January 30, 2014, 12:14:11 AM »
If I do an amazon payments on a platinum card. I already did it once. How high are my chances of getting fr? I have had purchases of $700+ on my amex before so it doesn't look out of wack.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: January 30, 2014, 12:22:18 AM »
If I do an amazon payments on a platinum card. I already did it once. How high are my chances of getting fr? I have had purchases of $700+ on my amex before so it doesn't look out of wack.
IIRC it's 16.66%, I just don't remember if that was chances of getting FR or not getting FR...

Offline yoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: January 30, 2014, 12:23:40 AM »
IIRC it's 16.66%, I just don't remember if that was chances of getting FR or not getting FR...

?? Not sure if this is a serious answer...

Offline DBK

• View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: January 30, 2014, 12:29:34 AM »
theres no telling, I edited my previous post
???

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: January 30, 2014, 12:36:56 AM »
Crazy story. I sent 500 dollars on AP to a non exsistant email address, and AP says it went through. Does anyone know what I should do?
Salt Is Good

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #3968 on: January 30, 2014, 12:38:59 AM »
?? Not sure if this is a serious answer...
IIRC it's 16.66%, I just don't remember if that was chances of being serious or not being serious...
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline BigDanFan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Biz Platinum, Amex Business Gold, Chase Ink Bold, SW, Delta Gold,etc...
« Reply #3969 on: January 30, 2014, 01:08:06 AM »
Crazy story. I sent 500 dollars on AP to a non exsistant email address, and AP says it went through. Does anyone know what I should do?
it's prob an existing email address..  8)
my suggestion is to contact that person and the email and ask for your money back..
#DDSCLE,#DDSLA, spg platinum 2016,

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: January 30, 2014, 01:12:30 AM »
How do you know the email is 'non-existent'?  Or is it just one you don't know who it is?
If you've tried to email that email (and check that you're duplicating it correctly) and the email bounces back, then AP will probably eventually tell you it didn't go through - reversing themselves.  I would probably get in touch w AP and ask them about it.
When you were sending the payment, you didn't actually read the confirmation, I assume.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline dbel23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: January 30, 2014, 06:50:11 AM »
How do you know the email is 'non-existent'?  Or is it just one you don't know who it is?
If you've tried to email that email (and check that you're duplicating it correctly) and the email bounces back, then AP will probably eventually tell you it didn't go through - reversing themselves.  I would probably get in touch w AP and ask them about it.
When you were sending the payment, you didn't actually read the confirmation, I assume.

+1

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: January 30, 2014, 07:07:56 AM »

Any help with reopening just a regular Amazon primary account?
+1

About to renew prime, and don't want to waste $79 on an account that may get closed at any time.

Offline DoGo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: January 30, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »
+1

About to renew prime, and don't want to waste $79 on an account that may get closed at any time.
Bringing up a good data point: If your primary account is shut, they will still bill you for amazon prime or else you call to cancel (even then they still sent me email that billing is coming up, but they have yet to bill..)

Offline BigDanFan

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Biz Platinum, Amex Business Gold, Chase Ink Bold, SW, Delta Gold,etc...
« Reply #3974 on: January 30, 2014, 05:44:21 PM »
+1

no worries - the APay is a diff site -
the Amazon prime and shopping will stay -
it's the APay that they cancel - but the rest is supposed to be as is..
it's a diff link and login anyway, right?

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3975 on: January 30, 2014, 05:47:21 PM »
no worries - the APay is a diff site -
the Amazon prime and shopping will stay -
it's the APay that they cancel - but the rest is supposed to be as is..
it's a diff link and login anyway, right?
Actually some have had their shopping account closed, too.  It is the same login, BTW.

But I would renew my amazon prime.  If they close you down for AP, they'll probably leave your shopping open.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline BigDanFan

• View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: January 30, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »
Actually some have had their shopping account closed, too.  It is the same login, BTW.

But I would renew my amazon prime.  If they close you down for AP, they'll probably leave your shopping open.
+1
ye - that's what i'd think.. Amazon Prime should be safe..

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: January 30, 2014, 07:48:05 PM »
I do make a fair amount of legit purchases on the primary account.

In 2013 I made 164 orders, many or which were multiple items.   I hope that will be incentive enough for them to keep it open.

(Although I have returned an A/C that was prime. Return was free for me. They paid two day shipping two ways for a 8K BTU AC and they had the best price around to start with. Not sure how they make money)

Offline cozmohoot

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: January 30, 2014, 07:54:57 PM »
I made plenty of legit orders and had my main account shut down. After weeks of emailing and calling I finally got it open.

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: January 31, 2014, 10:11:27 AM »
My wifes checking with chase is now closed complements of A/A.

The one remaining checking acocunt we have is my BofA which Im adding her to as a joint account holder.

I would assume that linking all of her AP accounts to the same checking acocunt all of mine are linked to may well increase the likelihood that we will be shut down, especially since I do a $6K circle between our six accounts......

Is there any reason why I shouldn't link her three AP accounts to her Bluebird account, withdraw into there and then pay the CC from the BB account?