Topic Wiki

DEAD - 10/13/14

READ THE WIKI! IT IS VERY CLEAR!

The Basics:

You can send up to $1,000/month directly from your CCs or GCs, and receive the same amount, which can then be withdrawn to your bank account. (No, you don't withdraw the money to your CC or GC.) These limits reset on the 1st of the calendar month at 12am Pacific Time.

Setup:

1. Although AP requires a SSN, you will not get a hard pull against your credit. You will not get a 1099-K unless you are receiving over $20k per year AND have done 200 transactions.

2. The driver's license number on the account need not be a real number, only the same format.

3. You need to connect and verify a bank account to be able to send $1,000/month. Otherwise, only $500 will be allowed. (Also, you will have difficulty withdrawing money to your bank account if it is not connected to your account.)

4. Verification can sometimes be instant if you log into your bank account through Amazon, but sometimes (particularly with smaller banks or CUs, it seems) the only working option is to allow AP to make two small deposits to you account (less than a dollar, often much less) and then reporting the exact amounts thereby verifying that the account is yours. (If you want to use AP as described here, don't even think about trying to profit from the small deposits by opening up a ton of accounts. You have been warned.)

5. The receiver account must add a credit card to be able to capture the funds sent.

Sending Money

1. Make sure to select "Goods and Services" when sending money. This is important so that the transaction codes as a purchase (for which you will get CC points/miles) and not a cash advance (for which you will not).

2. For some reason, when sending the value from GCs, AP will often prevent the full value from being sent unless, when connecting the GC with your account, you first enter the wrong expiration date and then change it to the correct one. <blinkblink>... <shrug>... but it works.  Or wait a week after putting the GC into your account for the hold to be removed from the funds.

3. And no, Amazon Gift Card balance cannot be used with Amazon Payments.

Multiple accounts:

1. It is highly recommended not to access both accounts of a transaction from the same IP address. Please see the IP Information section below for more... IP Information.

2. Most people didn't have problems opening two accounts per SSN even if they link to the same bank account, but it is risky to send money back and forth between them. Some report a similar risk with sending or receiving with a spouse who has the same bank account linked to their account.

3. Sending money using the same CC from different accounts is a known cause of shutdown.

Error messages and potential delays

1. If you get a message stating "We are unable to complete your transaction until further review. It can take up to 24 hours to complete this transaction. We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause," relax and be patient. It is perfectly normal.

2. Withdrawals are never authorized immediately. Be patient. It usually doesn't even take a full day. Likewise it's perfectly normal for you to get a message that your withdrawal has succeeded but it doesn't show up in your bank account yet even as pending. It will be there soon. Be patient.

3. Verifying a bank account via the deposit method can take a few days. Please anticipate and account for the extra time needed for the deposit method if you are planning to set up and use an account for the first time late in the month.

IP Information:

1. To check the IP address of the device you're using, Google "how to check my IP address"

2. All devices using the same WiFi router have the same IP address.

3. A computer connected to the Internet with a router has a different IP than it does if connected to the Internet without a router.

4. Browsing incognito or in private mode does not change your IP address.

5. To change the IP address of a computer, turn off the computer, wait a few minutes, then turn it back on. Check if you have a new IP address. If not, turn it off for 8+ hours (overnight or something) and check again. You will likely have a new IP address.

6. On a phone or other device (with it's own data) switch WiFi off. To change IP addresses, switch to 'airplane mode' and switch back and you will usually have a new IP address. Note: If your phone or tablet has WiFi only, it will always have the same IP address as other devices that connect through the same WiFi.

PBaruch's suggestions:

1. It is no longer generally considered safe to have multiple AP accounts for the same person.  Yes, there are exceptions and some people have had luck but I would caution against it.  If you are the reckless type go to number 2 below.  If not, please proceed to number 3 below.

2. If you do decide to try your luck and open 2 or more AP accounts for the same person, do not send $ back and forth between these two accounts.

3. Do not send $ back and forth between people in the same household.  Again, there are exceptions and some people have had luck but it is a trigger for a shutdown.  The way AP views it is if you are in the same household, give em cash. 

4. If there are multiple AP users in the same household, do NOT use the same IP address.  If you do, be warned.  You will very likely be shut down.

5. If you are shut down, you may have luck reopening your AP account by varying the spelling of your name and changing your address. 

6. If you want to send $ to a spouse, it helps if he/she has a different last name and address.

7. I would caution against any complete circles or triangles.  For instance, do not send A-B-C-A.  Rather, send A-B-C-D.

8. If you need bank accounts to link to AP, it is VERY easy to open multiple accounts (with no fee) by using Capitol One 360: https://home.capitalone360.com/ (Be aware that this is likely a hard pull.)

9. Do NOT do instant account verification. Let them send deposits instead to verify the account.  By doing so, I do not believe that they know who owns the account. This may be useful if you use some of my other suggestions.

These are my suggestions based upon personal experience and my gleaning of other posts.

Poll

Were you shut down?

Yes, but i got it back! :)
7 (2.9%)
Yes. :(
55 (22.5%)
No, B"H!  :)
149 (61.1%)
Yes and No (I have more then 1 account)
33 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 244

Author Topic: Amazon Payments Master Thread (RIP 10/13/14)  (Read 1132394 times)

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Re: Earn miles/points with Amazon payments using a credit card
« Reply #620 on: March 21, 2012, 03:44:20 PM »
You just have to fax over a bank statement with your name on it. No need for a business existence. But you might still need to get around the SS# requirement.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline askmoses

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 21, 2012, 07:04:49 PM »
Yes but happens if your account gets frozen and they want documentation to release the funds?
Has this happened to anyone you know? I thought once they froze an account they allow you to transfer the funds out to you bank account, just not to/from friends?

Offline arid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 22, 2012, 03:38:56 PM »
amazon now says "As a result of changes to federal regulations, Amazon Payments requires that you provide your tax identity information. Start now."
does this mean that if i send money to someone and say its for good and services, that they might have to pay taxes on it?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 22, 2012, 03:41:24 PM »
amazon now says "As a result of changes to federal regulations, Amazon Payments requires that you provide your tax identity information. Start now."
does this mean that if i send money to someone and say its for good and services, that they might have to pay taxes on it?

Amazon is referring to income tax, not sales tax. They won't be adding sales tax for goods/services.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 22, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »
so that means that if i send my buddy $1000, he has to claim it as income on his taxes?

Offline broketeacher

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 22, 2012, 06:03:57 PM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find the answer...

will I get the quarterly 5% chase freedom bonus if I send $1000 through amazon payments (i.e. 5,000 pts).

If not, I'd rather use my chase sapphire card that has yet to reach the $3,000 minimum....

thanks

Offline joeb1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #626 on: March 22, 2012, 06:57:05 PM »
no

Offline arid

• View Profile

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #628 on: March 22, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't seem to find the answer...

will I get the quarterly 5% chase freedom bonus if I send $1000 through amazon payments (i.e. 5,000 pts).

If not, I'd rather use my chase sapphire card that has yet to reach the $3,000 minimum....

thanks

no

Offline broketeacher

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 22, 2012, 08:45:33 PM »
oh well - wishful thinking!

thanks!

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 26, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »
what about my tax question?

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 26, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »
If you give your friend a 1000 dollar gift he does not have to pay taxes on that

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 26, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
If you give your friend a 1000 dollar gift he does not have to pay taxes on that

true but officially its for goods/services....... he doesnt have to pay tax on that?

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: March 26, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »
careful with amex and ap
how about citi/bofa amex? those should be safe,no?

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 26, 2012, 07:18:11 PM »
true but officially its for goods/services....... he doesnt have to pay tax on that?
Thats a good reason not to give it for goods/service.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 26, 2012, 08:16:58 PM »
Thats a good reason not to give it for goods/service.

the other option is cash advance which comes with fees, charges and smaller max's  :(

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 26, 2012, 08:19:29 PM »
the other option is cash advance which comes with fees, charges and smaller max's  :(
No CA fees with GC's.  ;)
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline arid

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: March 26, 2012, 11:39:19 PM »
No CA fees with GC's.  ;)
who said anything about gc's. i owe him 1k. im not paying him with gc's. I wanna put it on the card through amazon. the 2 options are goods/services or CA. CA has fees and i wanna know if he'll be taxed if i mark it goods and services.
can anyone help!?!?!

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 27, 2012, 01:25:25 AM »
i think the answer is that if he reports it as income he will be taxed, otherwise unless he has alot of interactions on his amazon account

(200+ in a year IIRC) it won't be automatically reported and he therefore will not be taxed (I.E. "off the books")

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Payments
« Reply #639 on: March 27, 2012, 02:26:43 PM »
Trying to sign up for an account but keep getting this message all the time, We're Sorry

An error occurred when we tried to process your request.
Rest assured, we're working to resolve the problem as soon as possible.
Please try your operation later. We apologize for the inconvenience.

The accounts that i have work fine but having a problem opening a new one, with different details.
Amazon said they will report the prob to tech dept.
anyone had the same problem?