Topic Wiki

DEAD - 10/13/14

READ THE WIKI! IT IS VERY CLEAR!

The Basics:

You can send up to $1,000/month directly from your CCs or GCs, and receive the same amount, which can then be withdrawn to your bank account. (No, you don't withdraw the money to your CC or GC.) These limits reset on the 1st of the calendar month at 12am Pacific Time.

Setup:

1. Although AP requires a SSN, you will not get a hard pull against your credit. You will not get a 1099-K unless you are receiving over $20k per year AND have done 200 transactions.

2. The driver's license number on the account need not be a real number, only the same format.

3. You need to connect and verify a bank account to be able to send $1,000/month. Otherwise, only $500 will be allowed. (Also, you will have difficulty withdrawing money to your bank account if it is not connected to your account.)

4. Verification can sometimes be instant if you log into your bank account through Amazon, but sometimes (particularly with smaller banks or CUs, it seems) the only working option is to allow AP to make two small deposits to you account (less than a dollar, often much less) and then reporting the exact amounts thereby verifying that the account is yours. (If you want to use AP as described here, don't even think about trying to profit from the small deposits by opening up a ton of accounts. You have been warned.)

5. The receiver account must add a credit card to be able to capture the funds sent.

Sending Money

1. Make sure to select "Goods and Services" when sending money. This is important so that the transaction codes as a purchase (for which you will get CC points/miles) and not a cash advance (for which you will not).

2. For some reason, when sending the value from GCs, AP will often prevent the full value from being sent unless, when connecting the GC with your account, you first enter the wrong expiration date and then change it to the correct one. <blinkblink>... <shrug>... but it works.  Or wait a week after putting the GC into your account for the hold to be removed from the funds.

3. And no, Amazon Gift Card balance cannot be used with Amazon Payments.

Multiple accounts:

1. It is highly recommended not to access both accounts of a transaction from the same IP address. Please see the IP Information section below for more... IP Information.

2. Most people didn't have problems opening two accounts per SSN even if they link to the same bank account, but it is risky to send money back and forth between them. Some report a similar risk with sending or receiving with a spouse who has the same bank account linked to their account.

3. Sending money using the same CC from different accounts is a known cause of shutdown.

Error messages and potential delays

1. If you get a message stating "We are unable to complete your transaction until further review. It can take up to 24 hours to complete this transaction. We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause," relax and be patient. It is perfectly normal.

2. Withdrawals are never authorized immediately. Be patient. It usually doesn't even take a full day. Likewise it's perfectly normal for you to get a message that your withdrawal has succeeded but it doesn't show up in your bank account yet even as pending. It will be there soon. Be patient.

3. Verifying a bank account via the deposit method can take a few days. Please anticipate and account for the extra time needed for the deposit method if you are planning to set up and use an account for the first time late in the month.

IP Information:

1. To check the IP address of the device you're using, Google "how to check my IP address"

2. All devices using the same WiFi router have the same IP address.

3. A computer connected to the Internet with a router has a different IP than it does if connected to the Internet without a router.

4. Browsing incognito or in private mode does not change your IP address.

5. To change the IP address of a computer, turn off the computer, wait a few minutes, then turn it back on. Check if you have a new IP address. If not, turn it off for 8+ hours (overnight or something) and check again. You will likely have a new IP address.

6. On a phone or other device (with it's own data) switch WiFi off. To change IP addresses, switch to 'airplane mode' and switch back and you will usually have a new IP address. Note: If your phone or tablet has WiFi only, it will always have the same IP address as other devices that connect through the same WiFi.

PBaruch's suggestions:

1. It is no longer generally considered safe to have multiple AP accounts for the same person.  Yes, there are exceptions and some people have had luck but I would caution against it.  If you are the reckless type go to number 2 below.  If not, please proceed to number 3 below.

2. If you do decide to try your luck and open 2 or more AP accounts for the same person, do not send $ back and forth between these two accounts.

3. Do not send $ back and forth between people in the same household.  Again, there are exceptions and some people have had luck but it is a trigger for a shutdown.  The way AP views it is if you are in the same household, give em cash. 

4. If there are multiple AP users in the same household, do NOT use the same IP address.  If you do, be warned.  You will very likely be shut down.

5. If you are shut down, you may have luck reopening your AP account by varying the spelling of your name and changing your address. 

6. If you want to send $ to a spouse, it helps if he/she has a different last name and address.

7. I would caution against any complete circles or triangles.  For instance, do not send A-B-C-A.  Rather, send A-B-C-D.

8. If you need bank accounts to link to AP, it is VERY easy to open multiple accounts (with no fee) by using Capitol One 360: https://home.capitalone360.com/ (Be aware that this is likely a hard pull.)

9. Do NOT do instant account verification. Let them send deposits instead to verify the account.  By doing so, I do not believe that they know who owns the account. This may be useful if you use some of my other suggestions.

These are my suggestions based upon personal experience and my gleaning of other posts.

Poll

Were you shut down?

Yes, but i got it back! :)
7 (2.9%)
Yes. :(
55 (22.5%)
No, B"H!  :)
149 (61.1%)
Yes and No (I have more then 1 account)
33 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 244

Author Topic: Amazon Payments Master Thread (RIP 10/13/14)  (Read 1122766 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: Earn miles/points with Amazon payments using a credit card
« Reply #1280 on: December 06, 2012, 05:08:54 PM »
Lol well played. My sarcasm brought this on myself.
בור כרה ויחפרהו, ויפול בשחת יפעל

Offline Shmelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 06, 2012, 05:10:06 PM »
בור כרה ויחפרהו, ויפול בשחת יפעל
Which means?
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #1282 on: December 06, 2012, 05:12:57 PM »
Which means?
He dug a pit and deepened it, and he fell into the pit that he made.
                                                                              - Psalms 7:16

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: December 07, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »
BTW I know someone with multiple ap accounts with SS numbers and never had a problem.

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: December 07, 2012, 12:51:52 PM »
Eh. It went though today. No explanation. Weird.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: December 08, 2012, 12:29:56 PM »
To send money for free is it 1000 per 30 days or per calendar month

Offline Red

• View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: December 08, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »
To send money for free is it 1000 per 30 days or per calendar month

Offline ari2955

• View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: December 08, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »
"Additional Information Required

To ensure compliance with Federal law, please provide your Date of Birth."

This message showed up on all my accounts, any ideas what this is about and what to expect?

Offline U-no-me!

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: December 08, 2012, 03:55:10 PM »

This message showed up on all my accounts, any ideas what this is about and what to expect?

Standard.

GL
O0
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline ari2955

• View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: December 08, 2012, 04:24:38 PM »
Standard.

GL
O0

Y now? iv'e been using these accounts for months, an suddenly they all get this alert at the same time

Offline EE4504

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: December 09, 2012, 09:14:38 AM »
amazon is only verifying the last 4 digit of social....

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: December 09, 2012, 11:37:08 PM »
New massage on my ap account.
I need to fill in the details otherwise from Dec 31 I won't be able to send or receive money.
Anyone else seeing it? Is this message something that I should be concerned about?

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 14, 2012, 11:25:38 AM »

Getting the same message on all my accounts too, did u enter it for all of them?

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Earn miles/points with Amazon payments using a credit card
« Reply #1293 on: December 14, 2012, 12:25:00 PM »
Getting the same message on all my accounts too, did u enter it for all of them?

Did they send it to you in an email? I don't plan on logging in again till jan 1 or 2

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 14, 2012, 12:25:43 PM »
Did they send it to you in an email? I don't plan on logging in again till jan 1 or 2

Nope, only saw it when i logged into my accounts.

Offline robesrones

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
amazon payments
« Reply #1295 on: December 16, 2012, 07:01:46 AM »
hi dan a few questions about using amazon payments to meet spending thresholds on credit cards:
1) Does the receiver have tax consequences for the money put into his bank account?
2) Can you do this with an amex card issued by Citibank?
3) Can I send it to my father or spouse who have the same last name?

Offline mmermss

• View Profile
Re: amazon payments
« Reply #1296 on: December 16, 2012, 07:08:03 AM »
hi dan a few questions about using amazon payments to meet spending thresholds on credit cards:
1) Does the receiver have tax consequences for the money put into his bank account?
Welcome to the forums!
I understand you wanted Dan to reply but the truth is if you search and (after not finding the answers to your questions) post in the correct thread you will get a reply much faster  :)

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=3524.0
It's not about the quantity of your posts.  It's about the quality.

Offline robesrones

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: December 16, 2012, 07:14:10 AM »
that's an ocean to sort thru. i need authoritative answers! but thanks

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 16, 2012, 07:21:05 AM »

Hey robert, i see u took the advice, to post it on the forums - http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/26956#comment-189551 - but u didn't post it in the link provided, ur questions are more likely to be answered there.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #1299 on: December 16, 2012, 08:25:42 AM »

1. No (unless you do massive amounts of transactions/amounts which I don't remember off hand hopefully someone in forums answers)
2. Yes
3. Yes - What can get you shut down is a YMMV kind of thing but I don't think that sending money to a family member would inherently be a problem. Personally I would keep transfers 1 way, ie don't send back and forth between 2 accounts even if it's a different name. That is why people use "AP triangles."