Author Topic: Mortgage payments affecting credit score  (Read 948 times)

Offline newdanfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Mortgage payments affecting credit score
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:35:50 AM »
Even though our mortgage payment is due on the first of the month, we were told that we have a grace period until the 17th.  If we pay by the 17th, then there is no late penalty.  My question is will paying on the 15th affect our credit?  I'm not sure how these things get processed into a credit score or what information is given to the credit bureaus.  Technically, it is past the date the payment is due, but is within their grace period and without a fee.  Will that be reported as a late payment, credit-wise?

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Mortgage payments affecting credit score
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 12:37:02 AM »
Even though our mortgage payment is due on the first of the month, we were told that we have a grace period until the 17th.  If we pay by the 17th, then there is no late penalty.  My question is will paying on the 15th affect our credit?  I'm not sure how these things get processed into a credit score or what information is given to the credit bureaus.  Technically, it is past the date the payment is due, but is within their grace period and without a fee.  Will that be reported as a late payment, credit-wise?

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:38:12 AM »
It is not late until the 17th.

Offline newdanfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 12:42:18 AM »
It is not late until the 17th.
So it wouldn't be reported late (in terms of affected credit) if we paid it, let's say on the 15th, which is after the technical due date?

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 12:52:46 AM »
So it wouldn't be reported late (in terms of affected credit) if we paid it, let's say on the 15th, which is after the technical due date?
I have the same setup, and pay it many times after the 1st.  Wouldn't be reported until after the 17th was missed, and even then it probably wouldn't be reported until 30 days.