Author Topic: Citi AA, 35,000 miles and first year free  (Read 17384 times)

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
Re: Citi AA, 35,000 miles and first year free
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »
Of course you can always go the honest route and buy an AMEX GC if you need the miles right away...
http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=2422.0

Im not sure if you were saying that buying an airline ticket with the intent of returning it is not honest. I dont want to start a debate here. But IMO (and the opinion of the Rav i asked the shaila to) There is nothing wrong with buying something with the intent of returning it. Buying something is a transaction. In halacha, returning it is another transaction in which they are BUYING it off you. So to buy an airline ticket with the intent of returning it would seem permissible and honest.

Offline md

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2010, 12:57:19 PM »
Got my card!
They gave me a 1k limit though I have some 30K+ with my other cards. I'm not interested in buying from the mint. I'd like to get a fully fully refundable airline ticket bet. 750 and 1000$. How do I know if it's fully refundable and I'll get all the money back (no fees or exchange)?
If you "return" the ticket for a credit back to the cc, won't they take back the miles?

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2010, 01:03:11 PM »
If you "return" the ticket for a credit back to the cc, won't they take back the miles?

Southwest.com "business select" or "anytime" fares are easily refundable online.  Even if you miss the flight and don't cancel before hand --- still 100% refundable. 

I've hit the max by buying refundable tickets before.  Then continue to spend at a normal pace.  When I finally reach the necessary spending limit on my own, I cancel the refundable flight. 

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »

They will most likely take back the miles you got for the spend, but not the sign up bonus miles.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2010, 10:09:56 AM »
Im not sure if you were saying that buying an airline ticket with the intent of returning it is not honest. I dont want to start a debate here. But IMO (and the opinion of the Rav i asked the shaila to) There is nothing wrong with buying something with the intent of returning it. Buying something is a transaction. In halacha, returning it is another transaction in which they are BUYING it off you. So to buy an airline ticket with the intent of returning it would seem permissible and honest.
If you would walk into a store and buy something with the intent to return it may be an issue being that that the store owner thinks that you are buying to keep.
Obviously, this is not the case with a refundable ticket as you are they are selling it knowing you can/might return it.
This is not the same as buying fridges, freezers etc from Walmart for the bungalow in the summer and returning them. V'dal.
Hope I didn't open a can of worms.  :-\

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2010, 11:18:22 PM »

If you would walk into a store and buy something with the intent to return it may be an issue being that that the store owner thinks that you are buying to keep.
Obviously, this is not the case with a refundable ticket as you are they are selling it knowing you can/might return it.
This is not the same as buying fridges, freezers etc from Walmart for the bungalow in the summer and returning them. V'dal.
Hope I didn't open a can of worms.  :-\
Why is a refundable ticket any different than any other refundable item you might buy with the intent of returning.

Besides the fact that the flight may sell out, or the price of the flight will go up do to a higher load which will discourage people from buying a seat on that flight, etc., which can cause the airline a real loss if you are only buying to cancel.

I'm not going to tell you not do it, just saying it's not so straightforward.  For a straight-shooter buying an AMEX GC is the other easy method to get to a threshold quickly.  For that rest of us...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2010, 11:34:11 PM »
Why is a refundable ticket any different than any other refundable item you might buy with the intent of returning.

Besides the fact that the flight may sell out, or the price of the flight will go up do to a higher load which will discourage people from buying a seat on that flight, etc., which can cause the airline a real loss if you are only buying to cancel.

I'm not going to tell you not do it, just saying it's not so straightforward.  For a straight-shooter buying an AMEX GC is the other easy method to get to a threshold quickly.  For that rest of us...
I may be wrong, but the reason why people buy a refundable ticket is because there is a big chance that they wont take that flight and want a refund. If they were pretty sure that they will fly they would buy a regular ticket which is much cheaper. According to this logic, the airlines know that you may refund it and therefore charge a premium.
I wasn't saying that its correct and straightforward, only that it varies slightly from "gnaivas das" when buying from a store with intent to return.
Again, my point was that even if you would say that buying a refundable ticket is permissible, lav davkeh would that apply to buying in a store with intent to return.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:51:41 PM by aussiebochur »

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2010, 11:43:58 PM »
Lets compare to the mint: When you buy from the mint with the intent of depositing it right in the bank, your are going against their clear rules prohibiting that, costing them a percentage for the CC processing fee, and costing them hefty shipping charges.

Compare to buying something from a store with the intent of returning it: You are costing them at minimum that they will not be able to resale it at retail value because it was used.

Now when you buy a refundable airline ticket especially for a ticket six months in advance, they technically lose nothing from you (and even get to keep your money fee free until you return it).

This would seem way more ethical then the above options.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2010, 11:52:56 PM »
My opinion on ALL of this stuff (including the whole debate in the other thread) is that each person need's to ask his/her own Rov. Whenever i have something that is not clear cut permissible in halacha, i always run it by a Rov who is knowledgeable in this stuff. My thought on buying/returning something is that a company allows returns for the simple reason that they are hoping you may like the item and decide to keep it. If they wouldn't allow returns, people would be hesitant to buy things.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2010, 11:58:11 PM »
each person need's to ask his/her own Rov.
100%
But this is a discussion of the different tzdodim.

Offline txtmax4

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2010, 01:07:49 AM »
I'm ticked...I signed up for the card a few days earlier when there was only a 30,000 bonus...I wanted a World Mastercard for renting cars in Israel (about a $5 per day discount).

Any idea if the old offer also had first year free?

How does the $5 savings work?
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2010, 12:25:10 PM »
Just found out I was approved for the Citi AA Biz Visa and it's on its way! I've had all the AA cards before and got rejected for all my applications once they cracked down. My only question is if they will actually give the miles. Chase used to issue the cards and just not give the miles.

I actually changed a lot of info in this app.. I spelled my name with one letter off, used a business name and tax ID instead of my social, and left the AA # blank.

Got the miles!

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2010, 12:27:29 PM »
Got the miles!
Will AA allow you to merge the accounts with one letter different in the name?

Offline azhoopsfan

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2010, 12:28:48 PM »
Got the miles!

Did the tax id you used have a credit history worthy of obtaining a credit card without a ssn of an individual? 

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2010, 12:39:38 PM »
Will AA allow you to merge the accounts with one letter different in the name?

Yes, just did it today. The guy was like "ah, we have two of you here, lemme' take care of that". He said it takes 48 hrs to complete but I'm not worried.

Did the tax id you used have a credit history worthy of obtaining a credit card without a ssn of an individual? 

No credit history AFAIK. Maybe that's why I only got a 1k CL. I did have to put in my SS though too.

Offline Jimbob

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »
Yes, just did it today. The guy was like "ah, we have two of you here, lemme' take care of that". He said it takes 48 hrs to complete but I'm not worried.

what if I wanna merge my account with my brothers? If I go to his online account and change his first name to
my first name.... will the accounts merge? Will they close the account if  they see this?

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:00:10 PM by Jimbob »