Author Topic: Amex Plat losing access into AA/US lounge  (Read 6334 times)

Offline plainbachur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Amex Plat losing access into AA/US lounge
« on: December 04, 2013, 10:34:50 AM »
The American/US Airways merger is expected to close any day now and its effects for consumers will be wide-reaching. Sadly, for American Express Platinum cardholders, this means that “effective March 22, 2014, Consumer, Business and Corporate Platinum and Centurion Card Members will no longer have complimentary access to the American Airlines Admirals Club and US Airways Club lounges as a benefit of their Card Membership. We are disappointed to report that American Airlines and US Airways elected not to renew this benefit.”

Citi and American just released a statement confirming this decision “Citi and American Airlines today announced that beginning in March 2014, the Citi® Executive® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard® will be the only U.S. credit card offering full membership benefits at the American Airlines Admirals Club® airport lounges.”

So it looks like this was not American Express’ decision, but as a Platinum cardholder, I’m still saddened by this news. As a Delta and American frequent flyer, I’ve enjoyed having one card that gets me into all of their lounges, plus a ton others (like US Airways and Alaska via Priority Pass Select).

HT: http://thepointsguy.com/2013/12/amex-platinum-losing-aaus-lounge-access-new-centurion-lounges-announced-for-lga-and-sfo/#.Up9IzXPKPso.twitter

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Plat losing access into AA/US lounge
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »
The American/US Airways merger is expected to close any day now and its effects for consumers will be wide-reaching. Sadly, for American Express Platinum cardholders, this means that “effective March 22, 2014, Consumer, Business and Corporate Platinum and Centurion Card Members will no longer have complimentary access to the American Airlines Admirals Club and US Airways Club lounges as a benefit of their Card Membership. We are disappointed to report that American Airlines and US Airways elected not to renew this benefit.”

Citi and American just released a statement confirming this decision “Citi and American Airlines today announced that beginning in March 2014, the Citi® Executive® / AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard® will be the only U.S. credit card offering full membership benefits at the American Airlines Admirals Club® airport lounges.”

So it looks like this was not American Express’ decision, but as a Platinum cardholder, I’m still saddened by this news. As a Delta and American frequent flyer, I’ve enjoyed having one card that gets me into all of their lounges, plus a ton others (like US Airways and Alaska via Priority Pass Select).

HT: http://thepointsguy.com/2013/12/amex-platinum-losing-aaus-lounge-access-new-centurion-lounges-announced-for-lga-and-sfo/#.Up9IzXPKPso.twitter

Wow...Big Blow!
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 10:42:28 AM »
Huge Blow

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 10:44:30 AM »
Say it ain't so!

Guess amex will have to kick up the pass with opening their own lounges.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Yellow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »
Terrible!

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 11:13:15 AM »
They are opening new Centurion Lounges Announced for LGA and SFO...

Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Vosizderneias

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 11:25:42 AM »
Whats benefit for American to kick off amex plat?!?!

Offline dealvr

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA ExPlat, Qantas Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »
Just got an email offering me $500 credit towards incidentals on AA and US. My brother got an email offering only $200. Strange.
Hey there! I am using WhatsApp.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 11:50:41 AM »
Just got an email offering me $500 credit towards incidentals on AA and US. My brother got an email offering only $200. Strange.
500????? really everyone else reported 200

Offline meshugener

• View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 11:58:39 AM »
I got $200
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline dealvr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 12:36:31 PM »
Wonder why they are offering me extra...

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »
And I didn't get any email yet....

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 12:39:38 PM »
Wonder why they are offering me extra...
Are you registered for AA?

+1
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline dealvr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »
+1
Yes.
My brother who got the $200 offer is also registered for AA.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 12:41:49 PM »

Who would be registered for AA, as if they had never heard of the PGGM.
Probably a capital one user.

Offline oisher

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile

FYI from Amex email to all Platinum Customers detailing the changes (including the fine print):

Changes to your Platinum Card.

Hello, XXXXXXX    Account Ending: XXXXXX

We are writing to give you advance notice of changes to your travel benefits and to remind you about other valuable features of your Platinum Card.

As of March 22, 2014, Platinum Card Members will no longer receive complimentary access to American Airlines® Admirals Club lounges and US Airways® Club locations.

Special Offer: Up to $200 in Statement Credits

We recognize the inconvenience this may cause you as someone who travels frequently, so we have included you in a special offer. You will receive up to $200 in statement credits toward American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees charged to your Card from March 22, 2014 to December 31, 2014.1 You can use these credits toward:

•   Membership fees in the Admirals Club program and US Airways Club
   •   One-day passes to Admirals Club lounges and US Airways Clubs
   •   Other American Airlines and US Airways incidental fees like baggage fees or flight change fees

There's no enrollment required, and purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the Card account are eligible for the promotion. These statement credits are in addition to the $200 Airline Fee Credit2 benefit already included in your Membership.*

*American Express relies on accurate airline transaction data to identify incidental fee purchases. If you do not see a credit for a qualifying incidental purchase on your enrolled Card after 4 weeks, simply call the number on the back of your Card. See terms & conditions for more details.

You will continue to have access to a large network of airport lounges, including complimentary access to:

•   Delta Sky Clubs®3
   •   Priority Pass™ Select4  membership for entry to more than 600 participating airport lounges worldwide
   •   Airspace Lounges™5 in New York (JFK), Cleveland, and Baltimore

New: Complimentary Access to The CenturionSM Lounge6

While partners and benefits may change over time, we remain dedicated to enhancing your travel experiences. With this in mind, we are pleased to announce that you now have unlimited, complimentary access to The Centurion Lounge in two locations:

•   Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport
   •   Las Vegas McCarran International Airport

The Centurion Lounge is a premier airport lounge space exclusively for American Express® Card Members, with signature services and amenities designed to exceed your expectations. Each lounge features seasonal fare created by renowned chefs, signature cocktails, curated wine lists, Member Services and other special features. We look forward to opening additional locations in the future.

Additional Exclusive Travel Benefits

We would like to remind you of these exclusive travel benefits that come with Platinum Card Membership:

•   $200 Airline Fee Credit. Offset airline incidental fees, such as airport lounge day passes, baggage fees, and flight-change fees. Enroll by selecting American Airlines, US Airways, or one of eight other eligible domestic airlines and receive up to $200 a year in credits for incidental fees charged to your Platinum Card.
   •   Save time and bypass arrival lines7 at most major U.S. airports when you return from international travel. Global Entry is a U.S. government program that allows expedited clearance for pre-approved travelers. When you use your eligible Platinum Card to apply for Global Entry membership, we'll credit the application fee. Card Members can receive one $100 credit every 5 years for an application fee charged to each eligible Card. Additional Cards tied to Centurion and Platinum Cards are also eligible for the $100 statement credit. To receive the credit, the application must be charged on the Additional Card.
   •   Pay no foreign transaction fees on purchases while traveling internationally.

We hope you continue to take advantage of all the benefits that make your Platinum Card a valuable resource when you travel.

Contact Us     |     Privacy Statement     |     Add us to your address book

Your Card Member information is included in the upper-right corner to help you recognize this as a customer service e-mail from American Express. To learn more about e-mail security or report a suspicious e-mail, please visit us at americanexpress.com/phishing. We kindly ask you not to reply to this e-mail but instead contact us via customer service.

1. Promotional Offer Terms and Conditions: Select personal and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Members are eligible for a special promotion to receive up to $200 in statement credits toward incidental air travel fees for American Airlines and US Airways. No enrollment required. This promotion is in addition to the $200 Airline Fee Credit benefit already included on your Card. Promotion is valid between 3/22/2014 and 12/31/2014. Promotion is not transferable. American Express in its sole discretion reserves the right to alter and or terminate this promotion at any time. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the Platinum Card®, Business Platinum Card®, Centurion® Card or Business Centurion® Card Account that is eligible for the promotion. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the Card Account that is eligible for the promotion are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account that is eligible for this promotion can only receive up to $200 in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by American Airlines and US Airways (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to the promotion start date or after the promotion end date are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. American Airlines and US Airways must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2–4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on American Airlines and US Airways to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this promotion, your Card Account must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this promotion, please call the number on the back of your Card. If you purchase an American Airlines® Admirals Club annual membership online, please note that this will be set-up as a recurring charge on your Card by American Airlines.

2. Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 a year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must enroll and choose a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the enrolled Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 a year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member’s airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to enrollment in this benefit are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be identified. Please allow 2-4 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge will not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit will be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.

3. The Platinum Card® Member must present his or her valid Card, government-issued I.D., and same day corresponding airline ticket to club agents. Code-share and affiliated lounge agreements may not apply in all cases. The Platinum Card Member must be 18 years of age to enter into the Airport Club Lounge without a parent or guardian for Delta Sky Club® where there is no self-service bar. Local age restrictions apply in non-U.S. locations. The Platinum Card Member must be 21 years of age to enter into all Airport Club Lounges where there is a self-service bar. Card Members must adhere to all house rules of participating clubs. Partners and locations subject to change.

4. These Terms and Conditions govern Platinum Card Members’ participation in and use of the Priority Pass™ Select program. Priority Pass is an independent airport lounge access program. By enrolling in Priority Pass Select, you agree that you will be responsible for all accompanying guest visits and will be automatically charged $27 per guest to your Platinum Card® from American Express after you have signed for the visit and it has been reported to Priority Pass by the participating lounge. Additionally, you acknowledge and agree that American Express will verify your Card account number and provide updated Card account information to Priority Pass from time to time. Priority Pass will use this information to fulfill on the Priority Pass Select program and may use this information for marketing related to the program. Once enrolled, Platinum Card Members in good standing may access participating Priority Pass Select lounges by presenting your Priority Pass Select card and airline boarding pass. In some lounges, Priority Pass Select member must be 21 years of age to enter without a parent or guardian. Priority Pass Select members must adhere to all house rules of participating lounges. Amenities may vary among airport lounge locations. Conference rooms, where available, may be reserved for a nominal fee. Priority Pass Select lounge partners and locations are subject to change. All Priority Pass Select members must adhere to the Priority Pass Conditions of Use, which will be sent to you with your membership package, and can be viewed at www.prioritypass.com. Upon receipt of your enrollment information, Priority Pass will send your Priority Pass Select card and membership package which you should receive within 10–14 business days. If you have not received the Priority Pass card after 14 days, please contact American Express using the number on the back of your American Express® Card. Please note, additional Gold Card Members are not eligible for membership.

5. This benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Members (“Card Member”). Card Member must present his or her valid Card and government-issued I.D. Ticket not required for Airspace Lounges. In some cases, Card Member must be 21 years of age to enter without a parent or guardian. The Card Member's spouse and children under the age of 21 or up to two companions may enter the club as complimentary guests. Card Member must adhere to all house rules of participating lounges. Card Members and his or her guests will receive all of the complimentary benefits and amenities afforded to the Airspace Lounge customers, as well as access to purchase non-complimentary items. Some product features may be subject to additional charges. Airspace Lounge locations are subject to change.

6. Platinum Card® Members have unlimited complimentary access to The Centurion Lounge locations. Gold and Green additional Cards on your Platinum Card account are not eligible for unlimited complimentary access. Platinum Card Members may bring immediate family (spouse or domestic partner and their children under 18) OR up to two (2) companions into The Centurion Lounge. To access The Centurion Lounge, the Platinum Card Member must present The Centurion Lounge agent with the following upon each visit: his or her valid Card and upon request, same-day airline ticket on any carrier and a government-issued I.D. Failure to present this documentation may result in access being denied. Platinum Card Members will not be compensated for changes in locations, rates or policies. A Platinum Card Member must be at least 18 years of age to enter without a parent or guardian. The Platinum Card Member must be 21 years of age to enter a lounge with a self-service bar, unless you are accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Platinum Card Members are allowed access to The Centurion Lounge in all U.S. locations. American Express reserves the right to remove any person from a lounge for inappropriate behavior or failure to adhere to lounge rules, including, but not limited to, conduct that is disruptive, abusive or violent. Access is subject to space availability. The Centurion Lounge hours may vary by location and are subject to change. Amenities may vary among The Centurion Lounge locations and are subject to change. Platinum Card Members and their guests are responsible to pay for certain amenities and services inside The Centurion Lounge. Some American Express Cards are not eligible for all services provided by Member Services Desk. American Express will not be liable for any articles lost or stolen or damages suffered by the purchaser or visitor inside The Centurion Lounge. Use of The Centurion Lounge is subject to all rules and conditions set by American Express. American Express reserves the right to revise the rules at any time without notice.

© 2013 American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. All rights reserved.

7. Global Entry is a U.S. government program. American Express has no control over the application and/or approval process, and does not have access to any information provided to the government by the Consumer and Business Platinum Card® or Centurion® member.

American Express has no liability regarding the Global Entry program. If you need more information regarding the application and/or approval process, as well as the full terms and conditions of this program, please go to www.globalentry.gov.

The benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card and Centurion members only and applies when the Card Member selects the "Global Entry" program. Other program applications including, but not limited to, NEXUS, SENTRI, and Privium are not eligible for the statement credit. TSA Pre✓™, if applied for separately, does not qualify to receive the statement credit.

To receive the $100 statement credit, Card Member must complete the Global Entry application and pay a $100 application fee with a valid Consumer or Business Platinum Card or Centurion Card. If an Account has Additional Card(s) the Additional Card(s) is also eligible for the $100 statement credit. To receive the credit, the application must be charged on the Additional Card. If approved, membership into the Global Entry program is valid for 5 years without additional charges and subject to the program's terms and conditions. Card Members can receive one $100 credit every 5 years for an application fee charged to each eligible Card.

The $100 application fee must be paid regardless of a decision by U.S. Customs and Border Protection and is required to process the application. Membership is per person, and a separate application must be completed for each individual.

Please allow 6–8 weeks after the qualifying Global Entry transaction is charged to the eligible Card account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the account. Card members can call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 8 weeks from the date of purchase. Card members are responsible for payment of all charges until the statement credit(s) posts to the account. To be eligible for this benefit, Card account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment.

American Express Travel Related Services Company, Inc. acts solely as sales agent for travel suppliers and is not responsible for the actions or inactions of such suppliers. We want you to be aware that certain suppliers pay us commissions and other incentives for reaching sales targets or other goals, and may also provide incentives to our travel counselors. For more information please visit www.americanexpress.com/travelterms

California CST#1022318-10, Rhode Island ML#1192, Washington UBI#600-469-694, Iowa TA#002, Nevada NV#2001-0126.

© 2013 American Express. All rights reserved.

Offline menachem_m

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2013, 01:26:33 PM »
Remember when everyone laughed @meshug for suggesting this?
I guess it's now 1 for 1. :P

Offline SPLP

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 02:50:11 PM »

Did you now get the e/m -- i have not -- i have MB  platinum -- and my airline of choice  on misc. fees was Delta -- does that have anything to do with why we did not get e/m??

Offline hertzinstl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 02:51:55 PM »
I didn't get an email :(

Offline shmebeble

• View Profile
No more AA or US ariways lounge with Amex Plat or Centurion
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 09:59:18 PM »
http://www.frequentflier.com/blog/american-us-air-to-strip-amex-cards-of-lounge-access/

This will take effect March 2014.
Definitely will take some of the fun out of avios.