Author Topic: Liqour/Whiskey/Bourbon Master Thread  (Read 343224 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Liqour/Whiskey/Bourbon Master Thread
« Reply #600 on: March 13, 2016, 06:11:25 PM »
Anyone in Northeast US interested in a order of Baileys from London?  PM me

comes out to roughly 40-45 a bottle with shipping

Does it have a hechsher ON it? Is it not the same Baileys that comes from Ireland and sold in the US?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline ADG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 14, 2016, 09:46:10 PM »
id there a heimish liiqur/wine guy from out of the NY state area that will deliver to brooklyn? Does this even come out cheaper?

Offline yakrot

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 14, 2016, 11:27:38 PM »

id there a heimish liiqur/wine guy from out of the NY state area that will deliver to brooklyn? Does this even come out cheaper?
why do you need heimish? For liqueur it can be a lot cheaper to order from California
Beltramos.com and missionliquor.com are two that I have used and would recommend

Offline srf60

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 15, 2016, 12:29:32 AM »
Check wine-searcher.com

Offline Entrepreneur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 17, 2016, 12:48:27 AM »
Asides from auctions, any recommendations on stores or people who have hard to find bottles like discontinued bottles, limited releases...

Thanks

Online tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 17, 2016, 12:56:08 AM »
Did anyone here ever buy those small one shot vodka bottles? What price should expect to pay like $1-$2 per bottle or am I way off?

Offline TorontoGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 17, 2016, 01:55:27 AM »
I tried reading upthread to find an answer - to no avail. I was recently asked to by alcohol for a Chassunah, so I picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve. Upon bringing it to the chassunah the mashgiach told me that it's on the CRC list as "Not Recommended" and therefore can not be served at a KCL event. (Note: KCL does NOT have its own policies on alcohol, they completely rely on the CRC list. The little cards with the hechsher info on the tables at Chassunahs clearly state that) Without a fuss I took the bottle off (don't worry I had a backup) however I started to do research. It seems like Glenlivet ages their Scotches in Bourboun Casks (which poses no halachic problem) for 12 years. At that point, they either get bottled and sold as Glenlivet 12, or are transferred into other cask to be "matured" or "finished" for several more years. In the case of the Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve, they would be aged for an additional 3 years. They are aged in French Limousin Oak Casks. These casks are known for aging Cognac, however the wording on the box says the following: "... The selective maturation in NEW French Oak Casks made from Limousin Oak..." My question therefore is, if these casks are new, why is there a problem?

Offline SamKey

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #607 on: March 17, 2016, 07:06:34 AM »
I tried reading upthread to find an answer - to no avail. I was recently asked to by alcohol for a Chassunah, so I picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve. Upon bringing it to the chassunah the mashgiach told me that it's on the CRC list as "Not Recommended" and therefore can not be served at a KCL event. (Note: KCL does NOT have its own policies on alcohol, they completely rely on the CRC list. The little cards with the hechsher info on the tables at Chassunahs clearly state that) Without a fuss I took the bottle off (don't worry I had a backup) however I started to do research. It seems like Glenlivet ages their Scotches in Bourboun Casks (which poses no halachic problem) for 12 years. At that point, they either get bottled and sold as Glenlivet 12, or are transferred into other cask to be "matured" or "finished" for several more years. In the case of the Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve, they would be aged for an additional 3 years. They are aged in French Limousin Oak Casks. These casks are known for aging Cognac, however the wording on the box says the following: "... The selective maturation in NEW French Oak Casks made from Limousin Oak..." My question therefore is, if these casks are new, why is there a problem?
Call CRC.

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 17, 2016, 10:15:31 AM »

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 17, 2016, 10:22:33 AM »
Did anyone here ever buy those small one shot vodka bottles? What price should expect to pay like $1-$2 per bottle or am I way off?
That price is about right. Depends on which brand you're looking at.

Although with Purim sales at the Jewish liquor shops, I've seen Smirnoff for ~$1.

Offline TorontoGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 17, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »
I just got off the phone with the CRC (a very helpful, kind and knowledgeable man) and he read me from the Glenlivet website about the Glenlivet 15 French Oak Reserve.
Craft Facts:
 The 15 Year Old’s distinctive character is the result of selective maturation; a proportion of the spirit is matured in a selection of French Oak casks for a limited period, so as not to overpower the final result.

The Glenlivet was one of the first distilleries to use French Oak in the whisky making process, a technique that has since been imitated by many others.

Limousin Oak, which is cut in the Dordogne region of France, is often used to mature fine wines and cognacs. In the case of The Glenlivet, its low density allows the spirit to penetrate deep into the wood, imparting the expression’s distinctive spiciness.

The French Oak also increases the intensity of the whisky, resulting in a richer and creamier finish.
The key words here is "A Proportion." It seems that after 12 years of being aged in Bourbon Casks, the Scotch is then split up, some to "New French Oak Casks" and some in "Sherry Casks." There is the problem. So being that the CRC does not recommend Scotch that has been aged in any non-kosher "Wine Casks" the Glenlivet 15 is listed as "Not Recommended."

Online tzifanya54

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 17, 2016, 01:55:17 PM »
That price is about right. Depends on which brand you're looking at.

Although with Purim sales at the Jewish liquor shops, I've seen Smirnoff for ~$1.
Thanks

Offline Entrepreneur

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 18, 2016, 11:24:57 AM »
Looking for Russell's Reserve 1998.  Anyone have it or know a good place that might carry it?

Thanks

Offline yakrot

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 18, 2016, 11:53:50 AM »

Looking for Russell's Reserve 1998.  Anyone have it or know a good place that might carry it?

Thanks
is that a bourbon?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #614 on: March 18, 2016, 01:06:27 PM »
Call CRC.
Better yet, call the COR :D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 18, 2016, 01:59:16 PM »
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Entrepreneur

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 18, 2016, 04:15:40 PM »
is that a bourbon?
Yes, made by Wild Turkey

Offline moshewoodmere01

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 18, 2016, 04:55:18 PM »
Anyone coming back from CA before purim? ;)
Think away the box.

Offline ganizzy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 18, 2016, 06:51:56 PM »
Prices have gone up.  Glenlivet 12 is now  $28 in costco (up from  $24 a few months ago )

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #619 on: March 18, 2016, 07:08:26 PM »
Was $18.95 back at TJs back in my YOEC days :(
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.