Author Topic: Liqour/Whiskey/Bourbon Master Thread  (Read 349857 times)

Offline stmark

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Liqour/Whiskey/Bourbon Master Thread
« Reply #780 on: February 17, 2017, 09:37:24 AM »
All scotch whisky (SM or blended) is regulated by Scottish law that no colourings, additives etc can be added. Virtually every single whisky that CRC don't recommend are allowed without question by KLBD as they are not matured in sherry casks etc. See link:

http://www.kosher.org.uk/article/are-all-whiskies-kosher

Hence I find it puzzling that CRC 'don't recommend' so many of those whiskies eg Abelour, Glengoyne etc. No justifiable reason not to do so.

I think you are mistaken. colorings are allowed in scotch (and many dark whisky's use coloring). coloring is not allowed in american bourbon.

I find the scotch whisky lists to be quite lacking and uninformative. They do not give a comprehensive look at whisky's, rather they look at "popular" ones. Glengoyne and Aberlour (as do most macallan's) use ex-sherry casks. Ask your LOR whether that presents an issue for you. 

Some whisky's that my ultra ortho friends serve and shuls and catering halls serve (eg glenlivet, johnnie have a hint of sherry in the taste for some experts).

What is bothersome for me is by the standard that people are putting on ex-sherry casks, for kashrus, how can you drink any blends? a blend can have dozens and dozens of scotches from hundreds or barrels, hogsheads, casks, and stills, how can one know what was used and how anything was cleaned for a blend?

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: February 17, 2017, 09:45:20 AM »

Abelour 12, 16 and A'bunadh are not matured in sherry casks. I have the 12 and A'bunadh in my cupboard. All 3 are permitted by KLBD.

This argument is going in circles. Seems the CRC are being overly stringent on their market for no undue reason.
once again. You refuse to find out their reasoning and based on that decide there is none.

Offline E-MAN

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: February 17, 2017, 02:15:16 PM »
Does KLBD have a list?

Offline thaber

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: February 20, 2017, 03:01:37 AM »
Abelour 12, 16 and A'bunadh are not matured in sherry casks. I have the 12 and A'bunadh in my cupboard. All 3 are permitted by KLBD.

This argument is going in circles. Seems the CRC are being overly stringent on their market for no undue reason.
I love how people are so quick to put down a hashgocha with no basis.
Are you aware of the fact that Rabbi Akiva Niehaus works for the CRC and literally wrote the book on sherry casks in halacha?
Are you aware that rabbi fishbane,  is the head of the CRC and is also the very well respected head of the AKO?
You have no idea of what you speak,  admittedly have no intention or interest in researching the facts,  but based on anecdotal evidence are happy to put down an organization comprised of chashuva talmedei chachamim.
I have no problem with disagreement and alternate approaches.  I don't think uninformed put downs is tzugepast for the DDF community.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: February 20, 2017, 04:21:49 PM »
so with the closing of www.beltramos.com what's the new source?

Online lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: February 20, 2017, 04:24:20 PM »
so with the closing of www.beltramos.com what's the new source?
missionliquor.com
remedyliquor.com

Check pricing on both. Some items that are already super cheap on one, will be an extra $1-$2 cheaper on the other.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: February 20, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »

We are prohibited from shipping to the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, North Dakota, New Hampshire, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah and Washington DC. Additionally, we cannot ship international orders.
but remedyliquor.com OTOH
Quote from: remedyliquor.com
All alcoholic beverages are sold in California and title passes to you in California. We make no representation to the legal rights of anyone to ship into any state outside of California. You, as a buyer, are solely responsible for shipment of alcoholic beverage products. By placing an order, you authorize us to act on your behalf to engage a common carrier to deliver your order to you.
Non California residents are responsible for determining whether they may lawfully import alcoholic beverages into their state.
We make no representation relative to your right to import wine or spirits into your state. Each state has its own rules and regulations, so you might want to check with appropriate agency in your state or county. The buyer is responsible for the shipment of products purchased and determining the legality and tax/duty consequences of having the wine shipped to him or her. Laws regarding the sale and transportation of alcoholic beverages are complex and constantly changing. The policies and procedures regarding sales and transportation are different in every state. That’s why you are buying from us in California and why title to the alcoholic beverages is passing to you upon purchase. By arranging transportation, Remedy Liquor is providing a service to and acting on your behalf. And by using this service you are representing that you are acting in compliance with your local and state laws. We only ship to those states where common carriers deliver alcohol. If we are unable to ship you will be notified by mail and your transaction will not be completed. You may also make your own shipping arrangements. When your order is approved, you own the goods. Title to all products intended for shipment to federal property and Indian reservations passes to the customer when goods are picked by the common carrier and California sales tax may be collected if none assessed by your state. In the event that RemedyLiquor.com may ship alcoholic beverages to your state in accordance with a state privilege requiring the payment o state taxes, you will be charged the sales tax if any assessed by your state, otherwise California sales tax will be assessed on the sale. By using this website you take the entire risk upon yourself. If for some reason you are not satisfied we respectfully ask you to stop using this site.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:45:11 PM by gozalim »

Online lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #787 on: February 20, 2017, 04:47:03 PM »
For missionliquor, that's a relatively new update.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 20, 2017, 05:05:24 PM »
someone also mentioned

https://www.shopwinedirect.com
https://www.theliquorbarn.com

(latter even ships free over $500?)

anyone familiar?

(FOR: NY customer)

Online lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: February 20, 2017, 05:14:09 PM »
someone also mentioned

https://www.shopwinedirect.com
https://www.theliquorbarn.com

(latter even ships free over $500?)

anyone familiar?

(FOR: NY customer)
Price compare all of them, including shipping. Let us know how it goes.

BTW, theliquorbarn.com has 5% off your first order.

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: February 20, 2017, 05:24:25 PM »
Price compare all of them, including shipping. Let us know how it goes.

BTW, theliquorbarn.com has 5% off your first order.
question is: other than being rejected during the checkout process (like mission), will any of these turn up issues later? (either cancel order or some other complication?)

also, offhand [1-2 items I checked] seems like remedy is considerably cheaper. unless you consider the free shipping from liquorbarn

Online lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: February 20, 2017, 05:28:30 PM »
question is: other than being rejected during the checkout process (like mission), will any of these turn up issues later? (either cancel order or some other complication?)

also, offhand [1-2 items I checked] seems like remedy is considerably cheaper. unless you consider the free shipping from liquorbarn
If you're ordering for private use (or sharing with friends), I doubt you'll have any issues. If you're ordering for commercial use, that could be problematic.

If you're ordering 12+ bottles, even with paying for shipping it can be cheaper to order from remedy. Fill up equal carts on both sites and compare.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: February 20, 2017, 08:14:27 PM »
Just bought 2 bottles of Parkers Heritage 24 year old bourbon. Thinking of drinking one and saving one.

Offline stmark

• View Profile
« Reply #793 on: February 21, 2017, 02:12:06 PM »
I am looking at master of malt. They have some great pricing. Shipping is expensive, but I spoke to them and they have certain bottles that are free worldwide shipping for your entire order if you buy them.  The cheapest are like 280-300 for the free shipping. Still have customs charge of approximately $100 on a 3k order.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: February 21, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
I am looking at master of malt. They have some great pricing. Shipping is expensive, but I spoke to them and they have certain bottles that are free worldwide shipping for your entire order if you buy them.  The cheapest are like 280-300 for the free shipping. Still have customs charge of approximately $100 on a 3k order.

Is it worth it?

Offline stmark

• View Profile
« Reply #795 on: February 21, 2017, 04:01:34 PM »
Is it worth it?
It has to be a big order to make it worth it.  Larger the order the better the pricing averages out to when you factor in $300 bottle to offset hundreds in shipping costs.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: February 21, 2017, 10:52:06 PM »
any thoughts on GLENFIDDICH SCOTCH SINGLE MALT BOURBON BARREL RESERVE $45

Offline chinagel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: February 21, 2017, 11:00:22 PM »
any thoughts on GLENFIDDICH SCOTCH SINGLE MALT BOURBON BARREL RESERVE $45
assuming you mean the 14 yr. and not 19, i just bought that but still havent opened it.

Offline thaber

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 21, 2017, 11:21:35 PM »
assuming you mean the 14 yr. and not 19, i just bought that but still havent opened it.
yes.
Price? thanks!

Offline chinagel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 22, 2017, 12:57:41 AM »
yes.
Price? thanks!
paid upper 40s on missionliquor.com i think in ny area its around 60