Author Topic: AMEX points - what to do.  (Read 1905 times)

Offline zb2012

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
AMEX points - what to do.
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:26:40 PM »
I have an issue that I was hoping you could help me out with. I recently signed up for the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card when it had a nice signup bonus at the time. The $175 annual fee will be coming due within the next few weeks and I don’t use the card enough to justify paying it. The problem is I still have 55K MR points on the account… I’ve had no luck with a retention bonus (admittedly, I didn’t use the card very much after the spend) and downgrading the card isn’t a great option since the points are no longer transferrable…I regrettably skipped out on  Transfer bonus that was going on, but I know that AMEX has transfer bonuses somewhat frequently. So my question is what do you recommend I do? I’m willing to wait it out a little and pay a prorated annual fee if there’s hope of a nice transfer bonus in the near future, but I don’t know how likely that is…Regarding my preferred usage of the points, I’d most likely want to use them towards an international ticket rather than domestic travel. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX points - what to do.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 11:29:42 PM »
I have an issue that I was hoping you could help me out with. I recently signed up for the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card when it had a nice signup bonus at the time. The $175 annual fee will be coming due within the next few weeks and I don’t use the card enough to justify paying it. The problem is I still have 55K MR points on the account… I’ve had no luck with a retention bonus (admittedly, I didn’t use the card very much after the spend) and downgrading the card isn’t a great option since the points are no longer transferrable…I regrettably skipped out on  Transfer bonus that was going on, but I know that AMEX has transfer bonuses somewhat frequently. So my question is what do you recommend I do? I’m willing to wait it out a little and pay a prorated annual fee if there’s hope of a nice transfer bonus in the near future, but I don’t know how likely that is…Regarding my preferred usage of the points, I’d most likely want to use them towards an international ticket rather than domestic travel. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!
If you have no immediate use, IMO, you should apply for a Blue card (not cash), which will hold the points.  It is a MR card, but you can not transfer the points out.  Sometime before you need the points, apply for the Gold or Plat.

Offline IsaacBP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:58:30 AM »
What is AMEX rule when closing credit cards what happens to the points, I have 3 cards, Platinum , Delta and SPG I will most likely close the platinum due to annual fees what will happen to my points and what's the best advice someone here can give me

Offline mochada

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 10:25:49 AM »
What is AMEX rule when closing credit cards what happens to the points, I have 3 cards, Platinum , Delta and SPG I will most likely close the platinum due to annual fees what will happen to my points and what's the best advice someone here can give me

downgrade the platinum to green

Offline zb2012

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:03:41 AM »
is a blue card an amex card? It will allow me to just 'hold' my points?

Offline Ez

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 11:57:47 AM »

Your Delta & SPG won't be lost either way, as it's being deposited into your accounts, and has no relation to the closing of your card.

Offline notanonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 02:37:13 PM »
is a blue card an amex card? It will allow me to just 'hold' my points?
I can't post the link right now...look at AMEX website for Blue Rewards (not cash).  You can use the point through AMEX, but not to transfer out.  You would need to reapply for Gold/Plat.

Offline IsaacBP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 09:29:46 AM »
Can you transfer amex points to a family member?

Offline Ygold

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 10:23:32 AM »
Sell?
Shout out to Meshugener!

Offline IsaacBP

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile