Topic Wiki

TSA Pre✓® Participating Airlines

How it works

An applicant must be a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and cannot have been convicted of certain crimes. If an applicant has a record of any of the crimes identified in the eligibility requirements, they may choose not to apply, as the application fee is nonrefundable.

Interested applicants must visit an application center to provide biographic information that includes name, date of birth and address. An applicant will be fingerprinted and will be required to provide valid required identity and citizenship/immigration documentation. An applicant also has the option to pre-enroll online to provide basic information and make an appointment before visiting an application center. There is a nonrefundable application processing fee of $85.

After completing enrollment, successful applicants will receive a Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail approximately 2-3 weeks following the visit to the application center. An applicant also may check status online by visiting https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/ and clicking on “Service Status.” The Known Traveler Number is valid for five years.

Once approved as eligible for TSA Pre✓™, the enrollee must enter the provided KTN in the ‘Known Traveler Number’ field when booking travel reservations on any of the ten participating airlines.  The KTN also can be added when booking reservations online via a participating airline website, via phone call to the airline reservation center, or with the travel management company making reservations.  Additionally, the KTN can be entered in participating airline frequent flyer profiles, where it will be stored for future reservations.
Please make sure the name used when applying for the TSA Pre✓™ application program matches the name used when booking travel.
TSA Pre✓™ eligibility will be identified with a TSA Pre✓™ indicator on the boarding pass.

Important Notice

Please note, appointments may only be made for a date within a 45 day window of completing the online application, and if all available appointments are booked in that period, appointments would not be accepted, requiring the applicant to check back for availability. The applicant also may visit an application site as a “walk-in” without an appointment but could experience a longer wait time.

Ready to pre-enroll? Visit the TSA Pre✓™ application website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What if I do not meet the eligibility requirements?
A. If TSA determines that the applicant does not meet program eligibility requirements, the applicant will receive a letter via U.S. mail to the mailing address provided in the application with instructions on how to proceed.

Q. How can I pay?
A. Applicants pay at an application center with credit card, money order, company check, or certified/cashier's check. Cash and personal checks are not accepted. Application centers accept Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express, and Discover credit cards. Check and money order payments for all services should be made payable to "MorphoTrust USA." Checks and money orders must be written in the exact amount. No change or refunds can be given.

Q. Can I be refunded the $85 fee?
A. No. TSA uses the application fee to cover the costs of background checks after the application is submitted. Therefore, no refunds are allowed, even if it is determined that the applicant does not meet eligibility requirements.

Q. Where can I apply in-person?
A. For information and directions to your nearest application center, click here. TSA has more than 300 locations nationwide.

Q. Do I need to make an appointment for an application center?
A. Visit the TSA Pre✓™ appointment webpage to make an appointment or contact the Universal Enrollment Call Center at 1-855-DHS-UES1 (1-855-347-8371) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 10 p.m., Eastern Time.  Walk-ins are also allowed at most application centers, but wait times may be longer.

Q. What documents do I need to bring to the application center?
A. View the list of required identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents.

Q. How should I fill out my name on my application?
A. The name on the application must exactly match the name on the applicant’s identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents and be the name used when booking travel reservations.

Q. What if I have legally changed my name and it does not match the name on my identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents?
A. If the applicant has legally changed his or her name, that individual must provide an original or certified a court-ordered name change document (such as marriage certificates or divorce decrees) in addition to the required documentation. For example, when presenting a U.S. birth certificate with maiden name and a driver’s license with the married name, the applicant must also provide a marriage certificate that shows the link between the names on the birth certificate and the driver’s license.

Q. What happens if I cannot provide fingerprints or be fingerprinted?
A. For the in-person fingerprint collection, TSA has procedures to accommodate individuals who are partial or full amputees or who may be unable to provide ten-finger fingerprints.

Q. How will I be notified if I am approved?
A. If approved, the applicant will receive a notification letter with an assigned Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail when TSA completes the review of their application. The assigned KTN must be used when booking travel reservations. Applicants can also check their status online.

Q. Will I receive a card or credential to be used when traveling?
A. No. There is no card or credential provided by the TSA Pre✓™ application program.  Instead, the traveler would use the provided Known Traveler Number (KTN) when booking travel.  The KTN can be provided online when booking a flight. It also can be saved in the traveler’s profile, or provided verbally to the airline representative when booking travel by phone.

Q. If I have already been approved for Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, or if I already have a KTN,  do I need to apply for the TSA Pre✓™ application program?
A. Individuals who already have a KTN, including members of Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI, need not enroll in the TSA Pre✓™ application program.

Link to purchase Global Entry TSA pre-check for a discounted price.
« Last edited by chff on August 16, 2019, 12:28:30 AM »

Author Topic: TSA Precheck  (Read 181859 times)

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: TSA Precheck
« Reply #240 on: June 17, 2016, 03:00:58 PM »
whats the issue
put it in the flight info, either it shows up or it doesnt

No issue, he's not flying soon but just want to know as a data point

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 17, 2016, 03:15:35 PM »
does anyone know if you can walk into the JFK pre check and get approved or is it better to make an appointment even if the next appointment is a month away?
I know someone who was turned away. I think it's YMMV though.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 17, 2016, 03:48:23 PM »
GE will only approve her under the name that's in her passport, so Precheck won't work if she is flying with her married name
So if she hopefully gets approved then when she goes to renew her passport under her married name, is there anyway to notify GE?

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2016, 03:59:52 PM »
So if she hopefully gets approved then when she goes to renew her passport under her married name, is there anyway to notify GE?
For that I read on flyer talk that you need to go down to a GE office (reports were that no appointment is needed) and notify them.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2016, 06:19:06 PM »
For that I read on flyer talk that you need to go down to a GE office (reports were that no appointment is needed) and notify them.
Ok. Easy enough. Thanks!

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #245 on: June 18, 2016, 10:44:06 PM »
My father went for his interview and they said he needs to wait about 5 days to get the card. I was under the impression that you don't need a card, just the KTN. Has this changed? Is it YMMV?
Card is used to enter by land into the USA using the Nexus lanes, or to buy beer 😉
you don't need the card for precheck, just the KTN.

no clue if you actually need the card to use the GE line
To use GE you need nor the card nor the KTN

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #246 on: June 19, 2016, 09:04:10 PM »
Same exact question here.
I have a Global Entry appointment coming up for my wife. The global entry application is in her married name her passport though has her maiden name. Would bringing a marriage certificate to the appointment be enough to get approved?
If yes, would tsa pre work on a flight booked in her married name, or only in maiden name? (dont want to have to fly with passport to get tsa pre)
Just got back from the appointment at EWR with application under married name and passport under maiden name and brought along a marriage license.
The guy gave my wife a hard time and kept saying that Uncle Sam doesn't know who you are... And that she had 15 months to get a new passport...
My wife just said she didn't get around to doing it and doesn't want to wait again for an appointment, after some back and forth he approved the application under her maiden name (same as passport) and the approval letter online reflects that.
The officer also made my wife promise that she'll change the name on her passport to her married name within the next 2 months, or else.... Probably nothing, but he said it may get revoked.
After the passport is changed she was told to come back without an appointment and when the officer comes out of the room she should say her name was changed and they'll process it.
Now I'm going to make a sw ticket under maiden and married names and we'll see when tsa pre works. Assuming it'll only work under maiden name, but I'll report back.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 19, 2016, 09:29:08 PM »
Card is used to enter by land into the USA using the Nexus lanes, or to buy beer 😉To use GE you need nor the card nor the KTN
how about Nexus? Do I need the actual card when entering Canada?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 19, 2016, 09:41:34 PM »
Just got back from the appointment at EWR with application under married name and passport under maiden name and brought along a marriage license.
The guy gave my wife a hard time and kept saying that Uncle Sam doesn't know who you are... And that she had 15 months to get a new passport...
My wife just said she didn't get around to doing it and doesn't want to wait again for an appointment, after some back and forth he approved the application under her maiden name (same as passport) and the approval letter online reflects that.
The officer also made my wife promise that she'll change the name on her passport to her married name within the next 2 months, or else.... Probably nothing, but he said it may get revoked.
After the passport is changed she was told to come back without an appointment and when the officer comes out of the room she should say her name was changed and they'll process it.
Now I'm going to make a sw ticket under maiden and married names and we'll see when tsa pre works. Assuming it'll only work under maiden name, but I'll report back.

Thanks for the report. My wife has an appointment next week in JFK. Lets hope it goes smoothly.

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 19, 2016, 09:56:10 PM »
If you're planning on cancelling the ticket, remember that with revenue tickets they don't actually refund they just give you a credit with the airline.

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 19, 2016, 09:56:41 PM »
If you're planning on cancelling the ticket, remember that with revenue tickets they don't actually refund they just give you a credit with the airline.
Yup thanks, doing points

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 19, 2016, 10:16:36 PM »
Do last minute bookings not allow tsa pre to work?
Just booked a southwest flight for tomorrow under married and maiden name and tsa pre didn't work. Unless it's because was just approved today and still need time to process

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 19, 2016, 10:23:15 PM »
Do last minute bookings not allow tsa pre to work?
Just booked a southwest flight for tomorrow under married and maiden name and tsa pre didn't work. Unless it's because was just approved today and still need time to process
I guess you can give it an hour or 2 before rulling out options.

Offline Moshke

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 19, 2016, 10:29:56 PM »
TSA Miami Intl airport can I just walk in and get approved or need appointment?

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 19, 2016, 11:04:33 PM »
TSA Miami Intl airport can I just walk in and get approved or need appointment?
Did you check for an appointment.. a couple of weeks ago there was availability for the same day, and the following days.

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 20, 2016, 01:10:17 AM »
Will only work if the names matches, or if you just get it randomly.
Once she get a new passport you need to go to a office to update it
how about Nexus? Do I need the actual card when entering Canada?
To use Nexus into Canada you need Nexus, GE won't help

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 20, 2016, 01:42:38 AM »
I know but my question is if I need the actual card when I have Nexus to enter Canada or I just punch in my info like I do with GE?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #257 on: June 20, 2016, 04:26:58 AM »
I know but my question is if I need the actual card when I have Nexus to enter Canada or I just punch in my info like I do with GE?
Isn't there a fee involved to have the nexus by the rainbow crossing? 
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 20, 2016, 06:27:57 PM »
Yes, you need the card
Isn't there a fee involved to have the nexus by the rainbow crossing?
Rainbow everyone pays the same toll, no extra charge for Nexus. Whirlpool bridge is Nexus only and you needed to open a special toll account to use it, but now that they added EZ-Pass to the NF crossings it's no longer needed (you can pay with EZ-Pass)

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2016, 12:26:50 AM »
Yes, you need the cardRainbow everyone pays the same toll, no extra charge for Nexus. Whirlpool bridge is Nexus only and you needed to open a special toll account to use it, but now that they added EZ-Pass to the NF crossings it's no longer needed (you can pay with EZ-Pass)
so there's no point in nexus by the nf border? (wasn't it made to go across the customs(border),or was it only by a ezpass booth? 
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501