Topic Wiki

TSA Pre✓® Participating Airlines

How it works

An applicant must be a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and cannot have been convicted of certain crimes. If an applicant has a record of any of the crimes identified in the eligibility requirements, they may choose not to apply, as the application fee is nonrefundable.

Interested applicants must visit an application center to provide biographic information that includes name, date of birth and address. An applicant will be fingerprinted and will be required to provide valid required identity and citizenship/immigration documentation. An applicant also has the option to pre-enroll online to provide basic information and make an appointment before visiting an application center. There is a nonrefundable application processing fee of $85.

After completing enrollment, successful applicants will receive a Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail approximately 2-3 weeks following the visit to the application center. An applicant also may check status online by visiting https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/ and clicking on “Service Status.” The Known Traveler Number is valid for five years.

Once approved as eligible for TSA Pre✓™, the enrollee must enter the provided KTN in the ‘Known Traveler Number’ field when booking travel reservations on any of the ten participating airlines.  The KTN also can be added when booking reservations online via a participating airline website, via phone call to the airline reservation center, or with the travel management company making reservations.  Additionally, the KTN can be entered in participating airline frequent flyer profiles, where it will be stored for future reservations.
Please make sure the name used when applying for the TSA Pre✓™ application program matches the name used when booking travel.
TSA Pre✓™ eligibility will be identified with a TSA Pre✓™ indicator on the boarding pass.

Important Notice

Please note, appointments may only be made for a date within a 45 day window of completing the online application, and if all available appointments are booked in that period, appointments would not be accepted, requiring the applicant to check back for availability. The applicant also may visit an application site as a “walk-in” without an appointment but could experience a longer wait time.

Ready to pre-enroll? Visit the TSA Pre✓™ application website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What if I do not meet the eligibility requirements?
A. If TSA determines that the applicant does not meet program eligibility requirements, the applicant will receive a letter via U.S. mail to the mailing address provided in the application with instructions on how to proceed.

Q. How can I pay?
A. Applicants pay at an application center with credit card, money order, company check, or certified/cashier's check. Cash and personal checks are not accepted. Application centers accept Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express, and Discover credit cards. Check and money order payments for all services should be made payable to "MorphoTrust USA." Checks and money orders must be written in the exact amount. No change or refunds can be given.

Q. Can I be refunded the $85 fee?
A. No. TSA uses the application fee to cover the costs of background checks after the application is submitted. Therefore, no refunds are allowed, even if it is determined that the applicant does not meet eligibility requirements.

Q. Where can I apply in-person?
A. For information and directions to your nearest application center, click here. TSA has more than 300 locations nationwide.

Q. Do I need to make an appointment for an application center?
A. Visit the TSA Pre✓™ appointment webpage to make an appointment or contact the Universal Enrollment Call Center at 1-855-DHS-UES1 (1-855-347-8371) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 10 p.m., Eastern Time.  Walk-ins are also allowed at most application centers, but wait times may be longer.

Q. What documents do I need to bring to the application center?
A. View the list of required identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents.

Q. How should I fill out my name on my application?
A. The name on the application must exactly match the name on the applicant’s identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents and be the name used when booking travel reservations.

Q. What if I have legally changed my name and it does not match the name on my identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents?
A. If the applicant has legally changed his or her name, that individual must provide an original or certified a court-ordered name change document (such as marriage certificates or divorce decrees) in addition to the required documentation. For example, when presenting a U.S. birth certificate with maiden name and a driver’s license with the married name, the applicant must also provide a marriage certificate that shows the link between the names on the birth certificate and the driver’s license.

Q. What happens if I cannot provide fingerprints or be fingerprinted?
A. For the in-person fingerprint collection, TSA has procedures to accommodate individuals who are partial or full amputees or who may be unable to provide ten-finger fingerprints.

Q. How will I be notified if I am approved?
A. If approved, the applicant will receive a notification letter with an assigned Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail when TSA completes the review of their application. The assigned KTN must be used when booking travel reservations. Applicants can also check their status online.

Q. Will I receive a card or credential to be used when traveling?
A. No. There is no card or credential provided by the TSA Pre✓™ application program.  Instead, the traveler would use the provided Known Traveler Number (KTN) when booking travel.  The KTN can be provided online when booking a flight. It also can be saved in the traveler’s profile, or provided verbally to the airline representative when booking travel by phone.

Q. If I have already been approved for Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, or if I already have a KTN,  do I need to apply for the TSA Pre✓™ application program?
A. Individuals who already have a KTN, including members of Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI, need not enroll in the TSA Pre✓™ application program.

Link to purchase Global Entry TSA pre-check for a discounted price.
« Last edited by chff on August 16, 2019, 12:28:30 AM »

Author Topic: TSA Precheck  (Read 178599 times)

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: TSA Precheck
« Reply #560 on: August 07, 2017, 01:40:05 PM »
can an infant go thru precheck if both parents have?
Yes. Typically, when one person in the itinerary has it, everyone else will as well.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #561 on: August 07, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »
Yes. Typically, when one person in the itinerary has it, everyone else will as well.
If that being said and I book a ticket with a friend who doesn't have it, will it cause both tickets to read tsaPre?
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 07, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »
If that being said and I book a ticket with a friend who doesn't have it, will it cause both tickets to read tsaPre?
IME that has been the case when traveling with non relatives, as relatives.

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 07, 2017, 04:49:27 PM »
While that may be true, it's not necessary.
“Family members ages 12 and under traveling with an eligible parent or guardian with a TSA Pre✓® indicator on their boarding pass can participate in expedited screening….Family members 13 and older must go through standard security lanes or should apply for a DHS trusted traveler program.”
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline as2

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 07, 2017, 04:51:14 PM »
While that may be true, it's not necessary.
“Family members ages 12 and under traveling with an eligible parent or guardian with a TSA Pre✓ indicator on their boarding pass can participate in expedited screening….Family members 13 and older must go through standard security lanes or should apply for a DHS trusted traveler program.”
I was referring to family/friends over 12

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #565 on: August 07, 2017, 07:15:41 PM »
I had once someone that had a KTN number and all her companions under 18 had PreCheck and over 18 didn't.

Another time I had a family with no KTN, and only the kids got and not the parents

Request a WCHR and you are guaranteed to get Precheck

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 07, 2017, 09:41:31 PM »
I had once someone that had a KTN number and all her companions under 18 had PreCheck and over 18 didn't.

Another time I had a family with no KTN, and only the kids got and not the parents

Request a WCHR and you are guaranteed to get Precheck
Still? I thought they changed that?

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #567 on: August 09, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »
Still? I thought they changed that?

Just checked in 3 people on AA - no KTN - DOBs in 1950s - and... Free PreCheck

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 09, 2017, 11:44:03 AM »
Good to know.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 09, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »
Just checked in 3 people on AA - no KTN - DOBs in 1950s - and... Free PreCheck
This is only because you booked the flights together.(which is good to know.)
 Has anyone ever had luck combining two bookings and get the KTN on all reservations?!
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline davidch

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 11, 2017, 01:30:33 PM »
I have been trying to get through to goes customer service but all the numbers I've tried don't work does anyone have a working number?
would be greatly appreciated

TIA.

Offline Wizard

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 11, 2017, 11:09:07 PM »
I have been trying to get through to goes customer service but all the numbers I've tried don't work does anyone have a working number?
would be greatly appreciated

TIA.
Tried these?
1 (877) 227-5511
1 (718) 553-1237 - this is the JFK interview center
If you are trying to get my attention/assistance and I'm not responding, please feel free to PM me. :)

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 12, 2017, 07:28:40 AM »
Is there any chance to apply for nexus and then call up and tell them to use the charge for nexus which is $50 vs $100 GE charge? (I see dan had did that which he mentioned on his post on the ms. ) curios if others had done the same?

Offline ME17

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 19, 2017, 02:23:34 PM »
I apologize if this has been addressed before. If it has, please direct me.
When I booked my flight I did not have global entry- now I do. How do I change/update my reservation? When I go to update passenger information it only gives a spot for passport information.

Offline yelped

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 19, 2017, 02:45:31 PM »
When I booked my flight I did not have global entry- now I do. How do I change/update my reservation? When I go to update passenger information it only gives a spot for passport information.
International Carrier? You only input the number for TSA Precheck, not Global Entry.

Offline myi

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 19, 2017, 02:46:57 PM »
International Carrier? You only input the number for TSA Precheck, not Global Entry.
Included in the GE isn't there a tsa pre check number given to you which you can use for you reservations?

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 19, 2017, 02:49:54 PM »
There should be a spot somewhere to put your "KTN" or Known Traveler Number. What carrier are you flying?
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline ME17

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 19, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
yes- british airways to london.

thank you

Offline ME17

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 19, 2017, 02:58:12 PM »
There should be a spot somewhere to put your "KTN" or Known Traveler Number. What carrier are you flying?
that's what I thought, British Airways

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 19, 2017, 03:31:41 PM »
Is there any chance to apply for nexus and then call up and tell them to use the charge for nexus which is $50 vs $100 GE charge? (I see dan had did that which he mentioned on his post on the ms. ) curios if others had done the same?
No