Author Topic: merchant says he can't refund my credit card because I paid over the phone  (Read 1895 times)

Offline johnoh

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Last month I paid a deposit by credit card over the phone to a local moving company for my upcoming move and they said in writing (on email) that the deposit would be refunded if I cancelled within 7 days.  The next day my circumstances changed and I emailed and said I needed to cancel and would they please refund my deposit.  They immediately wrote that they would refund my deposit.  Over the next four weeks I kept calling and emailing them asking for my money and they kept saying they would send it shortly.  Finally yesterday I escalated to the owner and he said "because you paid by credit card over the phone I have no way of refunding your money.  So feel free to initiate a dispute of the charge with your credit card company, that's how you can get your money back".  So today I initiated a dispute and am hopeful I'll finally get my deposit back.  One question - was the owner lying?  If so, what process could he go through to get me my deposit back?  I'm guessing maybe it would involve him making a phone call to visa or something, which he considers to be too much work.

Offline Mordechai123

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Seems like something is very fishy here! All merchants can go to their bank or financial institution and refund the money back to the buyer

Online PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
No technically problem refunding. He probably lost track of the charge and was too lazy to look for it. Very unprofessional move
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
No technically problem refunding. He probably lost track of the charge and was too lazy to look for it. Very unprofessional mover

lol
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
to a local moving company

ואידך פירושה הוא

Offline 1avigrun

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Since you didn’t use chip the merchant would be responsible for fraud and would have the money taken away from him not sure what his endgame is

Offline johnoh

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
No technically problem refunding. He probably lost track of the charge and was too lazy to look for it. Very unprofessional move
Thanks.  Do you know what is the procedure for refunding such a transaction?  Is it different from the normal procedure?

Here's an update - he has sent me my money back using paypal.  But he shorted me $5 because of the paypal fee, cuz he's a jerk.  But that makes me think the credit card refund procedure is perhaps not as easy as paypal? 

In any case, I'm gonna let my visa dispute play out and if they reverse the charges, he'll just have to go to paypal with his own dispute to get those funds back.  No one asked him to waste my $5 on paypal - I have not used paypal in years and never even mentioned to him that I have an account!

Offline 1avigrun

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Thanks.  Do you know what is the procedure for refunding such a transaction?  Is it different from the normal procedure?

Here's an update - he has sent me my money back using paypal.  But he shorted me $5 because of the paypal fee, cuz he's a jerk.  But that makes me think the credit card refund procedure is perhaps not as easy as paypal? 

In any case, I'm gonna let my visa dispute play out and if they reverse the charges, he'll just have to go to paypal with his own dispute to get those funds back.  No one asked him to waste my $5 on paypal - I have not used paypal in years and never even mentioned to him that I have an account!
😎

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
If he paid you PayPal using his credit card, he can go dispute that later anyways (if you think he’s a dishonest person).

Offline johnoh

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Can anyone tell me what is the exact procedure a merchant must go through in order to refund a credit card transaction that was processed over the phone?  That's all I really wanted to know. Thanks

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
Can anyone tell me what is the exact procedure a merchant must go through in order to refund a credit card transaction that was processed over the phone?  That's all I really wanted to know. Thanks
Same as any other.  Find the charge and press refund button

Offline johnoh

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Same as any other.  Find the charge and press refund button
That does sound right but given that the merchant 1) said he wasn't able to refund the CC transaction, and 2) went to the trouble to refund it via paypal instead, leads me to think its not quite so easy, at least in his case. 

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
That does sound right but given that the merchant 1) said he wasn't able to refund the CC transaction, and 2) went to the trouble to refund it via paypal instead, leads me to think its not quite so easy, at least in his case.
He could have sent the money via PayPal for free. He's playing around it seems.
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Count your blessings that you didn't actually use this mover...

Offline eternity88

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
why would owner ask you to dispute it, this will hurt his merchant account and he can get his account closed for too much chargeback. he also has to pay chargeback fee. I think merchant is probably using the capital for something else

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
Is it possible that instead of charging your CC in his own merchant account, he used the info to pay a vendor or something? If so, he wouldn't have access to refund it (and a dispute wouldn't hurt him directly).
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline WonderingYid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Is it possible that instead of charging your CC in his own merchant account, he used the info to pay a vendor or something? If so, he wouldn't have access to refund it (and a dispute wouldn't hurt him directly).
What does the charge come up as?