Author Topic: How to vacation  (Read 1620 times)

Offline IsraelGuy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
How to vacation
« on: December 08, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
What steps do you take to make sure you actually enjoy your vacation?

I ask because most of my vacations in the past have been visiting family in one place or another, and the trips usually work out the same. Coming up will be the first time my wife and I are actually going away somewhere fun just the two of us, and I think enjoying the vacation is probably as much of a skill all the arrangements of getting there.

I know a lot of these questions depend on the person, but I'm curious as to how our seasoned veterans here handle things. Sample questions:

• How much do you usually plan? Do you have things worked out to the minute, a general idea for each day, a few things to get done while you're there, or try to not mage general plans at all?
  • What type of technology restrictions do you accept on yourselves. Do you bring a laptop, smartphone, etc? Disconnect from social media, news, feeds, work emails, all email?
  • What types of places do you try to stay at? Do you go all out with hotels, get low price reasonable rates, always go bnb, or air-bnb? Do you always stay in chain hotels so you can use points, or always stay in other options for variety and interest?
  • What packing tips and tricks have you picked up over the years? Do you bring regular suitcases, or prefer backpacks when you can swing it? Do you bring passport photocopies, wide-spectrum antibiotics, Schwab card for money in local currency?
  • How do you budget for your trips? Do you give yourself a specific budget before you plan, decide a petty cash spending budget, or just keep a general idea in your head?
  • How do you deal with jetlag? Tips of the trade for flying east?
  • What's your daily alcohol consumption? Do you find most nights you kick back with a drink, or does it just become more of a hassle than its worth?
  • For the shutterbugs: Do you pack your best gear, or purposefully bring a point-and-shoot or just use your phone? If you bring your DSLR, how do you balance when you take it places or leave it behind?

These are just a few areas I thought of. Feel free to add in whatever.

Offline dudi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam Elite Plus
Re: How to vacation
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »
My answer is I just go and plan a hotel and a general idea the rest is all by ear.
As for jet lag on the plane drink alot of water and sleep as much as possible

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 04:53:35 PM »
Depends. Depends where I'm going. Depends who I'm going with.

I try to avoid taking along a computer for the most part.

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Mocha

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 01:13:09 AM »
Anyone have an all inclusive packing list they'd like to share? (Preferably someone packing for children too.)

TIA

Offline notanonymous

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 01:16:18 AM »
Anyone have an all inclusive packing list they'd like to share? (Preferably someone packing for children too.)

TIA
Step 1 - Open drawer
Step 2 - Dump drawer in suitcase
Step 3 - Repeat until a) your drawers are empty, or b) your suitcases are full

Disclaimer - I am a male.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 02:04:40 AM »
I find that the vacations my husband and I take, with or without children, are a reflection of who we are and how we think.

1. We do basic planning beforehand to know what we want to cover on the trip.  How many days on each type of activity, which places can be combined into 1 day. etc.
2. We're not that big on technology when we're together, but I would think part of a vacation is to unplug.  It might be good to plan the level of connectedness before, so there's no mixed expectations.
3. We're basically frugal.  We don't want to spend on things we don't need or appreciate.
We go to cut rate hotel/motels.  Clean, but no exercise room or lounge. We're not going to use those anyway.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Mordyk

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 08:44:24 AM »
Step 1 - Open drawer
Step 2 - Dump drawer in suitcase
Step 3 - Repeat until a) your drawers are empty, or b) your suitcases are full

Disclaimer - I am a male.
;D
#TYH

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 09:08:31 AM »
What steps do you take to make sure you actually enjoy your vacation?

I ask because most of my vacations in the past have been visiting family in one place or another, and the trips usually work out the same. Coming up will be the first time my wife and I are actually going away somewhere fun just the two of us, and I think enjoying the vacation is probably as much of a skill all the arrangements of getting there.

I know a lot of these questions depend on the person, but I'm curious as to how our seasoned veterans here handle things. Sample questions:

• How much do you usually plan? Do you have things worked out to the minute, a general idea for each day, a few things to get done while you're there, or try to not mage general plans at all?
  • What type of technology restrictions do you accept on yourselves. Do you bring a laptop, smartphone, etc? Disconnect from social media, news, feeds, work emails, all email?
  • What types of places do you try to stay at? Do you go all out with hotels, get low price reasonable rates, always go bnb, or air-bnb? Do you always stay in chain hotels so you can use points, or always stay in other options for variety and interest?
  • What packing tips and tricks have you picked up over the years? Do you bring regular suitcases, or prefer backpacks when you can swing it? Do you bring passport photocopies, wide-spectrum antibiotics, Schwab card for money in local currency?
  • How do you budget for your trips? Do you give yourself a specific budget before you plan, decide a petty cash spending budget, or just keep a general idea in your head?
  • How do you deal with jetlag? Tips of the trade for flying east?
  • What's your daily alcohol consumption? Do you find most nights you kick back with a drink, or does it just become more of a hassle than its worth?
  • For the shutterbugs: Do you pack your best gear, or purposefully bring a point-and-shoot or just use your phone? If you bring your DSLR, how do you balance when you take it places or leave it behind?

These are just a few areas I thought of. Feel free to add in whatever.
Depends on what type of vacation you are going for. If it is a beach type vacation, little planning is usually done, if a city or touristy area, i will do research to maximize our time there.
Quaerite et Invenietis.