Author Topic: December 2010/January 2011 Trip Planning Thread.  (Read 58682 times)

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
Re: December 2010/January 2011 Trip Planning Thread.
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2010, 03:20:15 AM »
Is it worth spending shabbos in SIN (no pun intended ;)) or HKG?

All of these books keep talking about Ayers Rock/Uluru smack in central OZ.  Anyone been there? Is it really worth seeing?

Its one mighty big rock in the middle of the desert. Its really nice to see at sunrise/sunset.
Mate, if you want to do everything in Australia you'll be there a really long time...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 03:24:06 AM »
Its one mighty big rock in the middle of the desert. Its really nice to see at sunrise/sunset.
Mate, if you want to do everything in Australia you'll be there a really long time...
Lol...
I'm just worried that a week in the MEL area is too much, which led me to consider something like a 1 night trip there.
Or is somewhere else better? Or is there enough to do around MEL for that long?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2010, 03:28:07 AM »
Lol...
I'm just worried that a week in the MEL area is too much, which led me to consider something like a 1 night trip there.
Or is somewhere else better? Or is there enough to do around MEL for that long?

Woops, missed Itinerary B, give me a minute...

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2010, 03:43:13 AM »
Too late, noch farbrengen, can't think...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2010, 05:13:12 AM »
Burning that hoshana rabba midnight oil to come up with the craziest itin yet...
16 segs with 34,455 miles traveled.

Itinerary Option C:
Fr 12/17 AA 3735, CLE-ORD, 10:35am-11:05am, First
2 nights in Chicago
Su 12/19 BA 192, ORD-LHR, 5:00pm-6:35am+1, First
Mo 12/20 BA 430, LHR-AMS, 8:40am-10:55am, Business
Mo 12/20 CX 270, AMS-HKG, 1:05pm-7:05am+1, First.
Tu 12/21 CX 713, HKG-SIN, 9:10am-4:10pm, Business
2 nights in Singapore
Th 12/23 CX 712, SIN-HKG, 1:55pm-8:00pm, Business
4 nights in Hong Kong
Mo 12/27 QF 30, HKG-MEL, 9:50am-8:45pm, First.
6 nights in Melbourne/Great Ocean Road
Su 01/02 QF 1011, MEL-HBA, 8:45am-10:00am, Coach
4 nights in Tasmania
Th 1/06 QF 2058, DPO-MEL, 5:10pm-6:25pm, Coach.
Th 1/06 QF 464, MEL-SYD, 7:30pm-8:30pm, Business.
5 nights in Sydney
Tu 01/11 QF 5842, SYD-HTI, 11:55am-1:25pm, Coach
2 nights in the Whitsunday Islands
Th 01/13 QF 5863, HTI-MEL, 10:55am-2:50pm, Coach
Th 01/13 CX 178, MEL-HKG, 11:45pm-6:00am+1, Business
Fr 01/14 CX 828, HKG-YYZ, 10:45am-12:35pm, First
2 nights in Toronto
Su 01/16 AA 4646, YYZ-LGA, 1:10pm-2:45pm, First
Su 01/16 AA 4674, LGA-CLE, 5:55pm-7:40pm, First

Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2010, 04:37:33 PM »
Burning that hoshana rabba midnight oil to come up with the craziest itin yet...
16 segs with 34,455 miles traveled.

Your getting there Dan. A couple of points:

1) I wouldn't spend more than 3 days each in SYD or MEL. Unless you are visiting with friends/relatives you'll get bored. Consider shortening the trip or adding  2 nights in Gold Coast/Surfers Paradise and definitely another night in the Whitsundays.

2) Best place to stay in the Whitsundays is probably a serviced apartment with a kitchen so you can prepare your own food. Airlie Beach has a supermarket with lots of Kosher products. Remind me closer to the trip and I'll send you the 2010 Kosher Food Book.

3) Ayers Rock is cool, but for a Yid it's nothing more than just a big rock. Kinda a waste of time if you ask me. another night in the Whitsundays.

4) If you are flying CX F anyways on the way back, stick with BA F from LHR-HKG so you can experience the Concord Lounge. AMS has a pretty lame lounge. Another cool option would be to see if u can can get JAL F via NRT.

5) CX usually has one flight a day from HKG-SIN-HKG with on a 773 F Class which fairly easy to get on miles. Keep checking. It'll def open.

Make sure you get over to Whitehaven Beach, absolutely spectacular.
Agree that 6 days HKG is too long.
Damaxer, is snorkeling off Whitsundays on the reef? Only ever went off Cairns..

Yes, Whitehaven Beach is spectacular. I will try and post a pic from there when I have a chance.

The Whitsundays and Hamilton Island are very much a part of the Great Barrier Reef. Snorkeling there is amazing. Try and not to experiment with the Sting-Rays there though. We all know what happened to Steve Irwin there

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2010, 11:29:16 AM »
Your getting there Dan. A couple of points:

1) I wouldn't spend more than 3 days each in SYD or MEL. Unless you are visiting with friends/relatives you'll get bored. Consider shortening the trip or adding  2 nights in Gold Coast/Surfers Paradise and definitely another night in the Whitsundays.

2) Best place to stay in the Whitsundays is probably a serviced apartment with a kitchen so you can prepare your own food. Airlie Beach has a supermarket with lots of Kosher products. Remind me closer to the trip and I'll send you the 2010 Kosher Food Book.

3) Ayers Rock is cool, but for a Yid it's nothing more than just a big rock. Kinda a waste of time if you ask me. another night in the Whitsundays.

4) If you are flying CX F anyways on the way back, stick with BA F from LHR-HKG so you can experience the Concord Lounge. AMS has a pretty lame lounge. Another cool option would be to see if u can can get JAL F via NRT.

5) CX usually has one flight a day from HKG-SIN-HKG with on a 773 F Class which fairly easy to get on miles. Keep checking. It'll def open.

Yes, Whitehaven Beach is spectacular. I will try and post a pic from there when I have a chance.

The Whitsundays and Hamilton Island are very much a part of the Great Barrier Reef. Snorkeling there is amazing. Try and not to experiment with the Sting-Rays there though. We all know what happened to Steve Irwin there
Thanks for the feedback!!!

1-We arrive in MEL on monday night.  I figure we would pick up food Tuesday and then take Great Ocean Drive for 2 nights and head back to MEL for Thursday night.  We leave to Tasi on Sunday morning.
Do you still think that's too much time allotted for that?
As for SYD, we arrive late Thursday night.  If we leave Monday morning for the Whitsundays are Friday/Sunday enough time for SYD?
Should we return from Tasi on Wednesday (3 nights there) instead?

2-Are there apartments for rent on the islands or just on the mainland?  How hard is it to get around to other islands and to the mainland?  I really haven't done much research on the islands yet.

3-Thanks, won't do that.

4-OK, good to know.  The problem is BA has no LHR-HKG availability until Tuesday which will ruin the SIN flights...
There is a 9:10am flight LHR-CDG-HKG which would give us more time in LHR, should we do that?
But I have to see a JAL F seat for any flight in Dec/Jan.

5-Ugh, I just realized that the SIN flights I found make a stop in BKK.  There is just 1 seat on the nonstop in F on my dates.  I'll keep checking, but I don't think AA allows changes to carriers after ticketing...

Would it be stupid to skip SIN and just fly on BA nonstop in F from LHR to PVG or PEK for a couple day and then onto HKG for shabbos and MEL on monday morning in F on QF?  It just seems like SIN will be a hassle to get to.  Also I'm not sure if AA will count the SIN flights as 2 or 4 segments as they are direct with 1 flight number, but it does not in BKK.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:39:56 PM by Dan »

Offline Mikeoracle

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2010, 11:41:19 AM »

4-OK, good to know.

I dont have personal experience but from what I see on FT, JAL award seats seem to open up much closer to the flight (within 30 days or even closer).

Offline LeviD

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 01:11:29 AM »
Dubai! Dubai! Dubai!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 02:55:38 AM »
Agreed, I'll definitely keep looking into options to leave HKG earlier.
I put the revised itin (with CX F) on hold so that everything is held besides the 2 BA TATL segments that can't be booked yet until 10/03.

I am definitely excited to try out BA, CX, and QF in First class!

We'll call this Itinerary Option A:

This uses all 16 segments allowed under Oneworld rules and is 34,816 miles.

Su 12/19 AA 3457, CLE-DFW, 11:30am-1:30pm, First
Su 12/19 BA 192, DFW-LHR, 4:55pm-7:35am+1, First
Mo 12/20 BA 430, LHR-AMS, 8:40am-10:55am, Business
Mo 12/20 CX 270, AMS-HKG, 1:05pm-7:05am+1, First.
6 nights in Hong Kong
Mo 12/27 QF 30, HKG-MEL, 9:50am-8:45pm, First.
6 nights in Melbourne/Great Ocean Road
Su 01/02 QF 1011, MEL-HBA, 8:45am-10:00am, Coach
4 nights in Tasmania
Th 1/06 QF 2058, DPO-MEL, 5:10pm-6:25pm, Coach.
Th 1/06 QF 464, MEL-SYD, 7:30pm-8:30pm, Business.
4 nights in Sydney
Mo 01/10 QF 5842, SYD-HTI, 11:55am-1:25pm, Coach
2 nights in the Whitsunday Islands
We 01/12 QF 5843, HTI-SYD, 1:55pm-5:10pm, Coach
We 01/12 QF 487, SYD-MEL, 8:00pm-9:35pm, Business
We 01/12 CX 178, MEL-HKG, 11:45pm-6:00am+1, Business
Th 01/13 CX 261, HKG-CDG, 11:45pm-5:55am+1, First
Fr 01/14 BA 303, CDG-LHR, 7:50am-8:15am, Business
Fr 01/14 BA 295, LHR-ORD, 11:40am-2:20pm, First
2 nights in Chicago
Su 01/16 AA 4064, ORD-CLE, 1:35pm-3:55pm, Coach

Ever see so many flights on one itin  ;D
This itin came back with a whopping price of $596 per person.  Curse those BA fuel surcharges!
I'm getting another itin with fewer BA flight priced now.

The good thing? I got an agent to extend my expiring 5 day hold for an entire month due to the time it's taking to get pricing!

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 03:16:39 AM »
This itin came back with a whopping price of $596 per person.  Curse those BA fuel surcharges!
I'm getting another itin with fewer BA flight priced now.

The good thing? I got an agent to extend my expiring 5 day hold for an entire month due to the time it's taking to get pricing!

Wow! A month is great. I once got 2 months by mistake but they've never offered it to me. Time to get rid of those BA segments!

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2010, 03:31:32 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!!!

1-We arrive in MEL on monday night.  I figure we would pick up food Tuesday and then take Great Ocean Drive for 2 nights and head back to MEL for Thursday night.  We leave to Tasi on Sunday morning.
Do you still think that's too much time allotted for that?
As for SYD, we arrive late Thursday night.  If we leave Monday morning for the Whitsundays are Friday/Sunday enough time for SYD?
Should we return from Tasi on Wednesday (3 nights there) instead?

2-Are there apartments for rent on the islands or just on the mainland?  How hard is it to get around to other islands and to the mainland?  I really haven't done much research on the islands yet.

3-Thanks, won't do that.

4-OK, good to know.  The problem is BA has no LHR-HKG availability until Tuesday which will ruin the SIN flights...
There is a 9:10am flight LHR-CDG-HKG which would give us more time in LHR, should we do that?

5-Ugh, I just realized that the SIN flights I found make a stop in BKK.  There is just 1 seat on the nonstop in F on my dates.  I'll keep checking, but I don't think AA allows changes to carriers after ticketing...

Would it be stupid to skip SIN and just fly on BA nonstop in F from LHR to PVG or PEK for a couple day and then onto HKG for shabbos and MEL on monday morning in F on QF?  It just seems like SIN will be a hassle to get to.  Also I'm not sure if AA will count the SIN flights as 2 or 4 segments as they are direct with 1 flight number, but it does not in BKK.

Thanks!

1) No, I guess thats fine. Too bad your missing the Australian Open :(. 2 full days in SYD are more than enough. AussieBochur, what do u think?

2) Try www.wotif.com, I found great deals there. Hamilton Island can be quite expensive. Better stay in Airlie Beach which is cheaper and has more going on. Things will be much cheaper overall there

4) Go for it! LHR-HKG on CX usually opens up closer to departure.

5) Your one month hold will come in handy now :) . I do think that they allow changes before departure just no changes to carrier or routing after departure.

I'm not so sure that PEK or PVG is a good idea in the dead of the winter. You'd need to pack winter clothes and most attractions there are outdoors. What about doing HKT?

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2010, 04:34:54 AM »
1) No, I guess thats fine. Too bad your missing the Australian Open :(. 2 full days in SYD are more than enough. AussieBochur, what do u think?

2) Try www.wotif.com, I found great deals there. Hamilton Island can be quite expensive. Better stay in Airlie Beach which is cheaper and has more going on. Things will be much cheaper overall there

4) Go for it! LHR-HKG on CX usually opens up closer to departure.

5) Your one month hold will come in handy now :) . I do think that they allow changes before departure just no changes to carrier or routing after departure.

I'm not so sure that PEK or PVG is a good idea in the dead of the winter. You'd need to pack winter clothes and most attractions there are outdoors. What about doing HKT?
1) Missing the Aussie Open may be a shame for some but don't know if Dan is one of them. Dan, do you know what sport is competed at the Open? (No cheating ;))
Ye, I think its about right, most of the things you'll wanna see in SYD are pretty close city as opposed to your trek west from Melbourne.

2) Hamilton Island is expensive. But also nicer, more secluded...no cars, everyone drives golf buggies...
It all depends on the budget...(a bit to think about on a free trip ;))
Either way, when it comes to beaches, Whitehaven Beach is a must.

5) "Ticket Changes
No changes to routing (including stopovers/connections) or airlines are allowed once ticketed.
Date/time/flight number changes are allowed even after ticketing."
But a month definitely helps...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2010, 07:42:08 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion damaxer, HKT (Phuket) would be great, but CX has nothing available for miles to get there.
Is it worth taking CX to BKK and then redeeming 20K UA miles for the BKK-HKT flight on TG?
How much time do you need in HKT?

What airport do you fly to for Airlie Beach? Do you fly to Hamilton Island and take a boat to Airlie Beach?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2010, 12:53:18 AM »
Well this is bizarre.
The ticket was on hold until 11/03 yesterday, I called just to check the latest tax update, and now it says "Ticketed-Nov. 2, 2010"

How could it possibly ticket without me even giving a credit card? And future ticketing...that's a new one.

:P

Here's the itin from yesterday and from today.

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2010, 03:13:13 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion damaxer, HKT (Phuket) would be great, but CX has nothing available for miles to get there.
Is it worth taking CX to BKK and then redeeming 20K UA miles for the BKK-HKT flight on TG?
How much time do you need in HKT?

What airport do you fly to for Airlie Beach? Do you fly to Hamilton Island and take a boat to Airlie Beach?

Air Asia flies directly from HKG-HKT and its usually less than $100 each way.

I flew into Hamilton Island and took the ferry to Airlie Beach. Obviously, if you want to spend the money, stay in Hamilton Island

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2010, 03:25:11 AM »
Air Asia flies directly from HKG-HKT and its usually less than $100 each way.
Everything is $500+ for my dates.

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2010, 03:48:24 AM »
Everything is $500+ for my dates.

Then fly to BKK and take Air Asia or one of the other LCC from there

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2010, 04:41:12 AM »
Then fly to BKK and take Air Asia or one of the other LCC from there
Have you flown Air Asia before?
Will CX interline baggage to them for HKG-BKK-HKT?
When they offer to prepay for luggage online by the kg. do you know if that can be split into multiple pieces of luggage?

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2010, 05:05:21 AM »
Have you flown Air Asia before?
Will CX interline baggage to them for HKG-BKK-HKT?
When they offer to prepay for luggage online by the kg. do you know if that can be split into multiple pieces of luggage?

I've flown Air Asia a coupld of times before. Better call it Air Israel. Half of the people on the plane were Israelis. I think that the $9 fare from BKK-HKT was the clincher. Pay the extra $3 for express boarding and you'll get the first exit row. Its a pretty decent airline and you'll probably get the biggest laugh of your laugh when you board the plane (I'll leave it as a surprise)

I don't think that they interline. Checking baggage with them can be a pain. Why bring along all of your luggage? It is fairly cheap to store it at BKK for a couple of days. I've done it several times before at BKK & HKG
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 05:10:25 AM by damaxer91 »