Author Topic: Mortgage Modification  (Read 26506 times)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Mortgage Modification
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2021, 02:54:28 PM »
Any possibility of them changing the rules down the line re credit reporting? Or its law.

Might there suddenly be a 5/24/C-19 regulation.

If the Dems (or is it some Dems?) have their way credit reporting will be reformed.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2021, 06:49:53 PM »
Any possibility of them changing the rules down the line re credit reporting? Or its law.

Might there suddenly be a 5/24/C-19 regulation.

I believe its just for COVID

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2021, 08:51:40 PM »
Hmmm. Sound like their estate department.

Just got an Escrow Analysis letter (no modification yet). Oh is this bank incompetent!

While it's nice to see my monthly payment significantly reduced, the fact that it's reduced by under charging for Escrow (using City Tax numbers that might have been true before Bloomberg started raising NYC real-estate taxes) doesn't make me feel great, as I know I will have to pay it back.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline yoely845

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2021, 09:04:58 PM »
I have a lot to talk re: modification first let me see if anyone has any info on the program below, it might be more beneficial.
https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/coronavirus/assistance-for-state-local-and-tribal-governments/homeowner-assistance-fund
https://hcr.ny.gov/homeowners

ExGingi in your times there wasn't such programs like now.

Offline Lurker

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2021, 11:59:14 PM »
I have a lot to talk re: modification first let me see if anyone has any info on the program below, it might be more beneficial.
https://home.treasury.gov/policy-issues/coronavirus/assistance-for-state-local-and-tribal-governments/homeowner-assistance-fund
https://hcr.ny.gov/homeowners

Don't know about NY, but in FL it's capped at 10k per, and they wanted a bunch of paperwork.

And these are still ExGingi's times, ba"h.
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2021, 12:33:05 AM »
Don't know about NY, but in FL it's capped at 10k per, and they wanted a bunch of paperwork.

And these are still ExGingi's times, ba"h.
*These* are ExGingi's times; *those* were Gingi's times.

Offline TBD

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2021, 01:02:01 AM »

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2021, 09:28:38 AM »
*These* are ExGingi's times; *those* were Gingi's times.

ALOL. Nominated for best-of.

I will have to look at pictures from back then to see what color my beard was. I know that one of my younger kids once commented upon seeing a picture of me from my oldest son's bar-mitzvah: someone painted tatty's beard orange.

ETA: Here's something from my son's bar-mitzvah which might have been the beginning of the Making Home Affordable modification days.

I can't find a clear picture now, but by 2013 was definitely much more Ex than Gingi.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:52:42 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2021, 01:46:47 PM »

Such as low cost index funds
Some indexes can be traded as if they're stocks, so have no fees at all.
For example, SPY follows the Standard & Poors 500 index.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline tov hashem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2021, 02:36:31 PM »
I have a lot to talk re: modification
what could you share about loan modification?

Offline ari3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2021, 12:19:55 AM »
Is modification only for primary residence or for second home/investment property as well?

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2021, 05:02:00 PM »
So I called TD (my loan servicer) at 800-742-2651 x8987 and asked them about COVID-19 loan modification. They asked me if I was impacted and I told them that I was since my expenses have gone up due to the raise in costs etc. They're starting the paperless process to see what I'm eligible for; though I have the option to reject any modification they offer and apply with income documents ie "Borrower Request for Assistance" which seems to be a different process than the Covid-19 process.

Thanks @ExGingi for bringing this to my attention!
Got the docs in the mail; they're offering a 12 year extension on the loan, same rate of 3.125%. I'm currently at 28 years and they're offering to make it a 40 year loan.

TD is the owner of my mortgage, so it's their own program and doesn't have the same exact rules as the federal program. I'm torn if I should decline this, in hopes of getting a better offer.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2021, 05:22:08 PM »
Got the docs in the mail; they're offering a 12 year extension on the loan, same rate of 3.125%. I'm currently at 28 years and they're offering to make it a 40 year loan.

TD is the owner of my mortgage, so it's their own program and doesn't have the same exact rules as the federal program. I'm torn if I should decline this, in hopes of getting a better offer.

If I were you I would accept. They are lowering your payment by extending the term at what I would consider an attractive rate. You can probably take the monthly savings and do something with it that will allow you to pay off the balance in 28 years (or sooner) IF you decide that it makes sense at that time.

ETA: I just reread your original post. The question is whether you will be able to come back to this if they don't offer better. Whether you will get a better offer will depend on debt-to-income ratios etc. They also try to target a 25% reduction in P&I payment. The only additional step available in achieving that would be partial deferral. Depending on DTI ratios they might or might not offer.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 05:28:02 PM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2021, 06:30:22 PM »
If I were you I would accept. They are lowering your payment by extending the term at what I would consider an attractive rate. You can probably take the monthly savings and do something with it that will allow you to pay off the balance in 28 years (or sooner) IF you decide that it makes sense at that time.

ETA: I just reread your original post. The question is whether you will be able to come back to this if they don't offer better. Whether you will get a better offer will depend on debt-to-income ratios etc. They also try to target a 25% reduction in P&I payment. The only additional step available in achieving that would be partial deferral. Depending on DTI ratios they might or might not offer.
Yeah, in a vacuum I'd definitely go for it; I just don't want to leave money on the table. I'll call them and see what they say. I'm also curious how long the federal program will be going for - maybe if I wait long enough my mortgage will be bought by Fannie/Freddie and interest rates will be below 3.125% then...

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2021, 07:07:30 PM »
Yeah, in a vacuum I'd definitely go for it; I just don't want to leave money on the table. I'll call them and see what they say. I'm also curious how long the federal program will be going for - maybe if I wait long enough my mortgage will be bought by Fannie/Freddie and interest rates will be below 3.125% then...

What's that saying about a bird in hand?

-- Dan

Offline tov hashem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2021, 08:27:55 PM »
Is modification only for primary residence or for second home/investment property as well?
freddies rule is that with out missing payments only for primary and with 60 days forbearance also for investment

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2021, 08:48:58 PM »

Did you ask them about a rate reduction? What did they say?

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2021, 08:51:36 PM »

I have a 2.5 rate with TD. 30 years. Would you recommend that I call and try to get to 40 years as well?

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2021, 08:55:59 PM »
I have a 2.5 rate with TD. 30 years. Would you recommend that I call and try to get to 40 years as well?

I am not recommending anything. But IMHO 2.5% for 40 years is better than 2.5% for 30 years. You can probably quite easily and safely put away the difference and come out ahead.
-- Dan

Offline zagguru

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2021, 09:00:03 PM »
I am not recommending anything. But IMHO 2.5% for 40 years is better than 2.5% for 30 years. You can probably quite easily and safely put away the difference and come out ahead.

I recently took out the loan. Going to call TD and see if they offer anything