Author Topic: Mortgage Modification  (Read 26418 times)

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
Re: Mortgage Modification
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2021, 12:26:15 AM »
What's the process?

Call your mortgage servicer (the bank you make your mortgage payments to). Tell them you have a covid-19 hardship.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Mortgage Modification
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2021, 12:27:01 AM »
I am not aware of a deadline.

I would presume it's one shot, though in the MHA/HAMP days there was at a certain point a HAMP-2 IIRC (though I don't think any modifications I helped with might have qualified, as I always designed them to maximize the modification).

Some resources:

https://www.hud.gov/sites/dfiles/SFH/documents/COVID-19_Recovery_Loss_Mitigation_Options_ML_2021-18.pdf

https://sf.freddiemac.com/working-with-us/servicing/servicing-solutions/freddie-mac-flex-modification

https://sf.freddiemac.com/content/_assets/resources/pdf/other/covid_ref_guide.pdf

https://www.knowyouroptions.com/options-to-stay-in-your-home/overview/modify-overview/flex-modification
Ugh I should've deferred my payments; I'm current with my payments. Looks like I'm not going to get much - my (refied) mortgage is only 24 months old and I'm at 3.125% which is below the current PMMS. So the most they'll likely do is tack on 2 years at the end, big deal. I guess I can wait until PMMS rates drop.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2021, 12:29:08 AM »
Ugh I should've deferred my payments; I'm current with my payments. Looks like I'm not going to get much - my (refied) mortgage is only 24 months old and I'm at 3.125% which is below the current PMMS. So the most they'll likely do is tack on 2 years at the end, big deal. I guess I can wait until PMMS rates drop.

Fannie and Freddie flex modifications give you a 40 year term.

Also worth noting, that during the MHA days the final rate was set based on the PMMS rate AT THE END OF THE 3 MONTH TRIAL PERIOD. I don't know if that is the case currently. If it is the same, one just has to pray for a lower PMMS rate 3-4 months out.
-- Dan

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2021, 12:32:38 AM »
The hud document says 360 months/30 years? Why is Freddie/Fannie doing different? I wonder if MERS would as well.

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2021, 12:32:40 AM »

Also worth noting, that during the MHA days the final rate was set based on the PMMS rate AT THE END OF THE 3 MONTH TRIAL PERIOD. I don't know if that is the case currently. If it is the same, one just has to pray for a lower PMMS rate 3-4 months out.
Do you actually save money or you're pushing the can down the road

I just refinanced @ 2.75 would you do something different
["-"]

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2021, 12:34:00 AM »
The loan is the same amount stretched over a longer period so your monthly payment is less.

The gamble (not really a gamble) is that your money today is worth more than your money in 30-40 years from now.

Offline Hjay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2021, 01:15:33 AM »
Closed on a house at the end of august so I’ve made just one payment on my mortgage. Rate is 3.23. Would I be able to do this? Seems like PMMS is at 3.14 so I’d definitely save a few dollars getting a slightly lower rate. Any reason not to do it if I can?

Offline Euclid

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2021, 01:34:20 AM »
The interest rate of the modified Mortgage is no greater than the most recent Freddie
Mac Weekly Primary Mortgage Market Survey (PMMS) Rate for 30-year fixed rate
conforming Mortgages (U.S. average), rounded to the nearest one-eighth of 1% (0.125
percent) as of the date the Borrower is offered a COVID-19 Recovery Modification.
Page 39 https://www.hud.gov/sites/dfiles/SFH/documents/COVID-19_Recovery_Loss_Mitigation_Options_ML_2021-18.pdf

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2021, 01:57:06 AM »

I just refinanced @ 2.75 would you do something different

After the fact it's too late. Had you gotten a modification you might have been at the same rate with a 40 year loan (and possibly interest free forbearance of part of the balance) with no closing costs. The fact that you might have done better doesn't mean you did bad. If you took cash out for a good purpose then you need to compare that to a modification + HELOC.
-- Dan

Offline yesitsme

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2021, 08:27:43 AM »
After the fact it's too late. Had you gotten a modification you might have been at the same rate with a 40 year loan (and possibly interest free forbearance of part of the balance) with no closing costs. The fact that you might have done better doesn't mean you did bad. If you took cash out for a good purpose then you need to compare that to a modification + HELOC.
I didn't cash out but I removed my co signer which I don't think is possible with a LM

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2021, 09:12:50 AM »
I didn't cash out but I removed my co signer which I don't think is possible with a LM

I believe one could get a loan modification with a co-signer. As far as removing a co-signer (is said co-signer on the deed?) afterwards, that might be a question better answered by a mortgage banker (or possibly also a mortgage broker).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 11:15:34 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2021, 09:15:07 AM »
The hud document says 360 months/30 years? Why is Freddie/Fannie doing different? I wonder if MERS would as well.

MERS isn't a lender. It's an electronic registry of (almost all) mortgages. When finding your mortgage on MERS you should be able to find who owns the note if you have the borrower's name and SSN. Though it's not 100% accurate. For example my mortgage lists BNY Mellon as the owner of my mortgage, while it is actually BNY Mellon AS TRUSTEE for a certain MBS trust. When it comes to loan modifications that could make a huge difference, as they have much less discretion as a trustee than they have for their own assets.
-- Dan

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2021, 09:25:37 AM »
Closed on a house at the end of august so I’ve made just one payment on my mortgage. Rate is 3.23. Would I be able to do this? Seems like PMMS is at 3.14 so I’d definitely save a few dollars getting a slightly lower rate. Any reason not to do it if I can?

@ExGingi I’d appreciate your opinion. Thanks

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2021, 09:29:06 AM »
@ExGingi I’d appreciate your opinion. Thanks

It would depend on who owns the loan and on you stating that you have a COVID-19 hardship. (Many unvaccinated people can easily claim a hardship due to fresh draconian mandates and restrictions)

Even with the same interest rate, your payment could be lowered by extending the term to 40 years and/or deferring part of the principal to the end of the term, interest free.  They do try to target a 20% or 25% reduction in monthly payment.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:35:03 AM by ExGingi »
-- Dan

Offline Hjay

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2021, 09:41:28 AM »
It would depend on who owns the loan and on you stating that you have a COVID-19 hardship. (Many unvaccinated people can easily claim a hardship due to fresh draconian mandates and restrictions)

Even with the same interest rate, your payment could be lowered by extending the term to 40 years and/or deferring part of the principal to the end of the term, interest free.  They do try to target a 20% or 25% reduction in monthly payment.

Thanks for your help.
Was sold to Freddie Mac soon after I closed. Extending the term causes me to pay more interest or there just taking what I have & stretching it out longer? A 25% reduction would be amazing for me. Is there any restrictions on how old the loan needs to be already? I literally have only made one payment. & yes Covid hardship is able to be claimed.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 09:47:12 AM by Hjay »

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2021, 10:13:04 AM »
Thanks for your help.
Was sold to Freddie Mac soon after I closed. Extending the term causes me to pay more interest or there just taking what I have & stretching it out longer? A 25% reduction would be amazing for me. Is there any restrictions on how old the loan needs to be already? I literally have only made one payment. & yes Covid hardship is able to be claimed.

If you owe money for a longer period of time, you will definitely end up paying more interest (except if a portion is deferred interest free), but if you have an improvement in CURRENT cash flow and can get more than 3.125% out of that improvement in cash flow (if you don't know how/where, you can PM me), I think it makes a lot of economic sense.

As to your question on whether it isn't too soon, I really don't know. You can try reading through some of the information in the links I posted above.
-- Dan

Offline tov hashem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2021, 10:07:39 PM »
My interest rate is 5.375%. Where do I start? Investment property, freedom mortgage.

Offline ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2021, 11:21:53 PM »
My interest rate is 5.375%. Where do I start? Investment property, freedom mortgage.

If you had Covid-19 related hardship (tenants not paying?) start by calling your servicer and ask what kind of relief is available.
-- Dan

Offline zagguru

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2021, 11:38:16 PM »
has it been confirmed that this has no impact on your credit? I read previously (pre-covid) that it takes a pretty hard hit on your credit to do a modifciation

Offline Shmulie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2021, 01:43:38 AM »
does this work on a HELOC that is in the repayment stage?