Author Topic: UNITED-CONTIENTAL MERGER - MILES  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Davedbbb

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
UNITED-CONTIENTAL MERGER - MILES
« on: September 15, 2010, 01:15:44 PM »
OK, Here's the deal.
I have always just kept 3 frequent fliers programs. One for each of the alliances (sky team, star alliance, one world). For sky-team i always used Northwest World perks. Since they merged with Delta, the miles merged as well.
My question is:
We all know that United and Continental are planning to finish their merger by the end of the year. So now, I have always accumulated United miles. I have their credit card as well. Is it worth it to open a Continental credit card also, get Continental's 30000 miles and hopefully by the end of the year they will merge with United?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: UNITED-CONTIENTAL MERGER - MILES
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 01:21:10 PM »
Of course you should, what's the question?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Davedbbb

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:23:05 PM »
I wasn't sure the miles will merge also

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »

Is it worth it to open a Continental credit card also, get Continental's 30000 miles and hopefully by the end of the year they will merge with United?

as long as you understand that no way will CO & UA merge their frequent flyer programs into 1 by 12/31/10 , hopefully by 12/31/11. No different then DL & NW that took them awhile to accomplish it after their merger was completed

Offline Davedbbb

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »
oh - But it will happen eventually. What ever happened with the Northwest credit cards? Do they still work or they reissued everyone the delta one or something?

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 01:46:16 PM »
oh - But it will happen eventually. What ever happened with the Northwest credit cards? Do they still work or they reissued everyone the delta one or something?

USBank sued and won that DL had to keep them active and issue miles for $$ spent till the contract was up < 1 yr later

USB issued their Flex CC in response  , today the only CC for DL is the DL Amex = no Visa or MC that earns DL miles directly

Eventually they will be merged into 1 program just dont count on using miles from both to get a free tkt just yet

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 01:48:32 PM »
The miles will be merged within the next 12 months I think.
DL and NW allowed people to transfer miles in each direction very early on in the process.

The DL card was issued by AMEX and the NW card was issued by USBank so that was more complicated.  The NW card became a proprietary USBank card, but for a little while you were able to earn NW miles and USBank points.

With CO and UA it will be much simpler because both cards are issued by Chase.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.