Author Topic: This Sunday in the Glow - Whats up COL lately?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline googwallet

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
This Sunday in the Glow - Whats up COL lately?
« on: December 12, 2013, 09:23:44 PM »
Well, I guess the Topic name is wrong since it's not lately, It's always been this way. But they have come a long way, had they put such a post right when they came out, they would have not gained such popularity, but now that they are already 'kosher' they slowly do what ever they want. Who is the one that decides what appropriate for the site, that Bochrim and kids (sadly..) frequent? Someone running after a few bucks from more ads and clearly has no value system, for sure not that is expected for a Chabnik.

Can someone explain what on earth is going on with collive.com? Has it become a fashion modeling website?! "This Sunday in the Glow" "CAY Chanuka Party"... have they totally lost their minds? Allow me to use this forum to express my frustration since there are no comments on COL with anyone wondering how they could put such a thing on, obviously since they filter all comments and to date none of my comments have ever surfaced the website...

Some might say what the big deal, but I'm sure there are other here who this bothers as well...How could they call themselves Chabad, what a shame that site it.

The biggest wonder is why I still go on there...just to get more upset?

Just venting my frustration..

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: This Sunday in the Glow - Whats up COL lately?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »
If a website doesn't have your values stop visiting, simple as that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 10:39:50 PM »
+1 their revenue comes from ads which depend on how popular the site is so by going on you support them.
That said I don't think this forum is the right venue for your vent...

Offline googwallet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 01:40:33 AM »
That said I don't think this forum is the right venue for your vent...

Your absolutely right.

Offline menachem_m

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 02:03:30 AM »
If you go on with an ad blocker, do they still make money off you?

Offline good sam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 10:47:14 AM »
Not to prolong this but what's wrong with in the glow?
If you don't care why would you comment?
HT: DMYD

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 07:10:03 PM »

Well, I wouldn't say it's simple as that.

If Dans Deals started posting news stories that have nothing to do with deals (or inappropriate stories for that matter), I believe many readers, including myself, would complain about it, and not just decide to "stop visiting". Obviously, we would still want to see the deals, but not the other content, and so we would make a fuss.

Facebook is completely free, and yet when they decided to run ads in the newsfeed, users raised a stink about it.

Chabadnick's want to be informed on the latest news that is applicable to them. The latest engagements, births, news stories, events etc.. They therefore turn to the few sites that provide this information. These sites have relied on visitors to generate their income, and so in turn, they owe it to their visitors to keep it clean and to keep it interesting.

I do believe that COL readers have every right to speak up if they believe that the content is inappropriate, as would any reader or viewer of any TV network, magazine or website.

That said, every time these types of events are sensationalized, traditional Chabadnick's feel like they are being kicked in the gut. They feel betrayed by the website that they rely on for news. Since the website claims to post only content that is Chabad-related, posting this type of event is a clear acknowledgement by COL that they recognize group and event as a legitimate Chabad event.

Any reader has a right to speak up and react to this, not just immediately boycott and run for the hills.

Offline Crazy tools

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Club, Avis Presidents, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite, SPG Gold
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:17:21 PM »
+1
There is a certain sense of betrayal when a website you always frequent and feel connected to (like ddf) starts posting inappropriate content that they never used to post.
If someone feels that they used to have certain standards, and they suddenly changed them, you can't expect him to just stop visiting it. He's allowed to complain.
(I never visited this website, just saying in general)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 07:34:23 PM by Crazy tools »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 07:27:06 PM »
Not saying you can't complain, I just don't think they ever had such lofty values and never even started to read it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 09:24:29 PM »
Not to prolong this but what's wrong with in the glow?
+1.
I almost never visit that site site anymore, but of all things to complain about this would be far down my list.

It's a real pity that Shmais, the only "clean" Chabad news site, has become really shvach ever since "the CEO" got a real job...

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 09:40:04 PM »
I feel the same way about VIN and therefore NEVER visit their page.

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 09:54:38 PM »
I think this couple would be really your only address to complain to (and you should).

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 10:12:37 PM »
I didn't see no sudden lowering in the standards, it's been like this almost since the site started, if people vote with their feet then the message will be heard. Bottom line, everyone knows that posting such articles generates more clicks, the editors of the site only cater to their audience (mind you, not to what the audience SAYS rather to what the audience DOES).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 11:05:08 PM »
I didn't see no sudden lowering in the standards, it's been like this almost since the site started, if people vote with their feet then the message will be heard. Bottom line, everyone knows that posting such articles generates more clicks, the editors of the site only cater to their audience (mind you, not to what the audience SAYS rather to what the audience DOES).
Bingo.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 11:06:22 PM »

Unfortunately there aren't many other outlets to read Chabad news, and from what's available, COL is the most to the center. Ch.info is extreme left and chabad.info is extreme right. Shmais is basically irrelevant.

I agree with you that the article in question was posted to generate hype. The editors could care less about the ramifications of showing this type of event. I don't believe that they either support or are against the event, but it definitely generates heavy traffic.

At any rate, parents of teenagers are extremely worried about these types of articles. They can't control what their children see, and this type of stuff leaves significant impact on them.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 11:06:36 PM »
It's a real pity that Shmais, the only "clean" Chabad news site, has become really shvach ever since "the CEO" got a real job...
True.  He was definitely my internet role model back in the day.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 11:08:30 PM »
Unfortunately there aren't many other outlets to read Chabad news, and from what's available, COL is the most to the center. Ch.info is extreme left and chabad.info is extreme right. Shmais is basically irrelevant.

I agree with you that the article in question was posted to generate hype. The editors could care less about the ramifications of showing this type of event. I don't believe that they either support or are against the event, but it definitely generates heavy traffic.

At any rate, parents of teenagers are extremely worried about these types of articles. They can't control what their children see, and this type of stuff leaves significant impact on them.
Sounds like there's an opportunity for someone to swoop in and meet an unfilled demand.
Centrist without the shmutz and dirty business.  Sort of what Shmais was back in its heydey.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 11:09:59 PM »
True.  He was definitely my internet role model back in the day.

I still don't understand why he can't just upgrade his site. Just making it more visual and taking out all the clutter would bring more viewers.

Aside from that, there is a lot he can do to become more relevant such as getting exclusive editorials etc..

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 11:12:12 PM »
I still don't understand why he can't just upgrade his site. Just making it more visual and taking out all the clutter would bring more viewers.

Aside from that, there is a lot he can do to become more relevant such as getting exclusive editorials etc..
Can say the same thing about DD.  Bottom line is it really comes down to content, design is secondary.  And his content hasn't been good in quite some time.
And finding a good designer is really tough.