Topic Wiki

Ill spell it out for the feeble.
You dont call up and ask if they take Visa gift cards for  a money order.
You dont call up and ask if they take Mastercard gc for a MO
You dont flippin call!

You go into a store and ask for an MO and she says ok its, XXX.XX say no p, take out your debit card and swipe. If the rep says no debits then apologize and leave. If she says lemme see that is that a gc say NO ITS A DEBIT. if she asks wheres your name you say (among many other options to think of) the permanent one is on the way and im using the temp one until i receive it. If you need to swipe more than once, its ok to have multiple debits (for those who are lacking in common sense). But be nonchalant dont be in your face about it to the rep. Reps want to feel they're in charge, its natural for a minimum paid employees...

I think this should give the basics on how to get a MO if you find a place.... this is not rocket science. But it seems like it is to some.... Where to cash out GCs for MO:

Where                                       Which gift card                                   Fee                                     max MO amount                                   

Service desk @ Wal-Mart                  MVD,  Visa from Meta bank,                                  70 cents                                           $1000
                                                  chase (phased out)                                                                                      $1000   

Rite Aid                                                                                                 $0.89                                          $500

"HaNesher HaGadol"                            One Vanilla                                 .52                                          $500 max     
meijer-69 cents up to $1000-most stores
NOTES:
MVD charges 50 cents per transaction so ask for MO of card amount- (fee+ 50 cents) eg @WM ask for 498.80 on MO (or cover $1.20 some other way)
« Last edited by bb1836 on June 04, 2015, 06:22:46 PM »

Author Topic: Money Orders (USPS RIP 11/3/17)  (Read 313682 times)

Offline moto

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Re: Money Orders
« Reply #180 on: February 07, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
Can I cash out my vanilla cards that I buy in 7-11 for money orders at wal mart?

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2014, 07:17:11 PM »
Can I cash out my vanilla cards that I buy in 7-11 for money orders at wal mart?
You could load them onto BB from your own home. Then I assume you could buy MOs at WM with the BB. Not sure why you would want to, though.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2014, 07:20:34 PM »
You could load them onto BB from your own home. Then I assume you could buy MOs at WM with the BB. Not sure why you would want to, though.

Based on the fact that they were bought at 7-11, I'm assuming they aren't vanilla reloads as those cannot be purchased with cc. Presumably they are one vanilla cards. And the answer is yes you can.

Offline etech0

• View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2014, 07:24:41 PM »

Based on the fact that they were bought at 7-11, I'm assuming they aren't vanilla reloads as those cannot be purchased with cc. Presumably they are one vanilla cards. And the answer is yes you can.
Missed that.

In WM, make sure not to call them GCs. They are debit cards. And you may have better luck if you don't let the cashier see that it doesn't have your name on it.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline E R K

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2014, 03:36:25 AM »
When you get MO at WM do you have to hand over the card or do you swipe yourself? Also is it only good for visa or will MC work with pin

Offline Malachi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2014, 08:35:53 AM »
When you get MO at WM do you have to hand over the card or do you swipe yourself? Also is it only good for visa or will MC work with pin
you swipe yourself. Visa works great, mc will automatically read as credit unless you press cancel right away on your screen
Denny Crane

Offline E R K

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »
If you press cancel doesn't it cancel the transaction? What do I see b4 I press cancel?

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 11, 2014, 12:00:41 PM »
If you press cancel doesn't it cancel the transaction? What do I see b4 I press cancel?
Bump

Offline sawlw

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 11, 2014, 01:52:27 PM »
press cancel as soon as you swipe, change option to debit

Offline ckmk47

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 11, 2014, 01:55:43 PM »
press cancel as soon as you swipe, change option to debit
Thanks. I couldn't find that info either.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline HDS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2014, 05:47:28 PM »
I have seen some discussion on other forums about the fairly serious potential issues with buying moderate to large amounts of MOs, as well as with depositing them into banks.

The issues include:

1. Having your information taken and kept on file at the place you purchase MOs. The information, including your SS#, may be kept securely, or it may be hand written into in a binder on the CS desk. Regardless if you are asked for or give this information or not, the store may still file documentation without your knowledge that could raise red flags later if there is an investigation. This kind of documentation is apparently required (not sure by whom) for MO purchases of more than $3k at a time, but apparently happens (whether because of store policy or the whim of the clerk or manager) for amounts more than $2k as well.

2. Structuring. This is a federal law, with serious penalties, for attempting to avoid reporting mechanisms by doing a several smaller transactions rather than one large one that would trigger a report. It is apparently dependent on intent, and it can be difficult to prove for prosecutors, but it apparently should still be cause for pause at the least. It may apply to purchasing MOs in different, smaller amounts at the same or different stores in order to avoid reporting requirements, or depositing smaller amounts in multiple branches of the same bank in the same day, and the like.

3. Getting shut down by banks, because it appears as though you are laundering money (purchaser and payee are the same, sequential numbers, etc.) or at least that you as a customer will cost more to monitor than you will make for the bank through your banking activities. This can apply regardless of your legal standing with structuring, because banks can decide whether or not they want your business.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on any of these things.

I'm posting this here not to say that the sky is falling but rather as a PSA about some of the risks, and to get some feedback from those in the community who have had success with MOs about general best practices.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2014, 08:35:15 PM »

I have seen some discussion on other forums about the fairly serious potential issues with buying moderate to large amounts of MOs, as well as with depositing them into banks.

The issues include:

1. Having your information taken and kept on file at the place you purchase MOs. The information, including your SS#, may be kept securely, or it may be hand written into in a binder on the CS desk. Regardless if you are asked for or give this information or not, the store may still file documentation without your knowledge that could raise red flags later if there is an investigation. This kind of documentation is apparently required (not sure by whom) for MO purchases of more than $3k at a time, but apparently happens (whether because of store policy or the whim of the clerk or manager) for amounts more than $2k as well.

2. Structuring. This is a federal law, with serious penalties, for attempting to avoid reporting mechanisms by doing a several smaller transactions rather than one large one that would trigger a report. It is apparently dependent on intent, and it can be difficult to prove for prosecutors, but it apparently should still be cause for pause at the least. It may apply to purchasing MOs in different, smaller amounts at the same or different stores in order to avoid reporting requirements, or depositing smaller amounts in multiple branches of the same bank in the same day, and the like.

3. Getting shut down by banks, because it appears as though you are laundering money (purchaser and payee are the same, sequential numbers, etc.) or at least that you as a customer will cost more to monitor than you will make for the bank through your banking activities. This can apply regardless of your legal standing with structuring, because banks can decide whether or not they want your business.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on any of these things.

I'm posting this here not to say that the sky is falling but rather as a PSA about some of the risks, and to get some feedback from those in the community who have had success with MOs about general best practices.

Keep in mind you can go to jail for structuring even if the cash being deposited was from legal sources. 

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2014, 08:43:28 PM »
Keep in mind you can go to jail for structuring even if the cash being deposited was from legal sources.
Can you site one case?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2014, 10:15:51 PM »
Can you site one case?

Yes,  United States v. Macpherson, 424 F. 3d 183 (2nd Cir. 2005).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:29:43 PM by Menachem613 »

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2014, 10:40:05 PM »

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2014, 11:33:55 PM »
Yes,  United States v. Macpherson, 424 F. 3d 183 (2nd Cir. 2005).
...and another

http://www.newsobserver.com/2009/10/18/146633/lawyers-career-ends-in-crime.html
Both refer to CASH being deposited in small doses to avoid banking rules requiring reporting CASH deposits of 10K or more.  We're talking moving money by cc, check, and ACH transfer. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:19:55 AM by ckmk47 »

Offline yitzf

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2014, 12:23:39 AM »
Both refer to CASH being deposited in small doses to avoid banking rules requiring reporting deposits of 10K or more.  We're talking moving money by cc, check, and ACH transfer.
If it's the same law, why would it matter?

Offline ckmk47

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2014, 02:23:13 AM »
Cash is not traceable.  It may be acquired by illegal means eg. drugs sales, untaxed sales.  Money in the system can be tracked.  Followed from one account to another, one owner to another.  They know if it's taxed or illegally gained.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 13, 2014, 06:59:29 AM »

Both refer to CASH being deposited in small doses to avoid banking rules requiring reporting CASH deposits of 10K or more.  We're talking moving money by cc, check, and ACH transfer.

There are cases with money orders too. I just don't feel like quoting every case out there.

Online CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2014, 07:05:27 AM »
There are cases with money orders too. I just don't feel like quoting every case out there.
How about just one?  ;)
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half