Topic Wiki

Ill spell it out for the feeble.
You dont call up and ask if they take Visa gift cards for  a money order.
You dont call up and ask if they take Mastercard gc for a MO
You dont flippin call!

You go into a store and ask for an MO and she says ok its, XXX.XX say no p, take out your debit card and swipe. If the rep says no debits then apologize and leave. If she says lemme see that is that a gc say NO ITS A DEBIT. if she asks wheres your name you say (among many other options to think of) the permanent one is on the way and im using the temp one until i receive it. If you need to swipe more than once, its ok to have multiple debits (for those who are lacking in common sense). But be nonchalant dont be in your face about it to the rep. Reps want to feel they're in charge, its natural for a minimum paid employees...

I think this should give the basics on how to get a MO if you find a place.... this is not rocket science. But it seems like it is to some.... Where to cash out GCs for MO:

Where                                       Which gift card                                   Fee                                     max MO amount                                   

Service desk @ Wal-Mart                  MVD,  Visa from Meta bank,                                  70 cents                                           $1000
                                                  chase (phased out)                                                                                      $1000   

Rite Aid                                                                                                 $0.89                                          $500

"HaNesher HaGadol"                            One Vanilla                                 .52                                          $500 max     
meijer-69 cents up to $1000-most stores
NOTES:
MVD charges 50 cents per transaction so ask for MO of card amount- (fee+ 50 cents) eg @WM ask for 498.80 on MO (or cover $1.20 some other way)
« Last edited by bb1836 on June 04, 2015, 06:22:46 PM »

Author Topic: Money Orders (USPS RIP 11/3/17)  (Read 308739 times)

Offline yitzyul

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
Re: Money Orders (USPS RIP 11/3/17)
« Reply #1400 on: April 26, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
i think his point was WM has a 4 card hard limit...
Ok TY

Offline srap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: April 26, 2018, 10:17:57 AM »
If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!
pm's welcome.
Anything to drain them within hours.  I'd be quite concerned even to keep them overnight!

Offline rapsjr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: April 26, 2018, 10:31:41 AM »
Anything to drain them within hours.  I'd be quite concerned even to keep them overnight!
Wow... ok after hearing how risky it is to hold on to it then I will just cash them out by swiping on a CC processing terminal at 2.75%... so each $200 GC will cost me $5.75. I guess not too bad being that I bought them with no fee and getting 5x points

Offline yitzyul

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: April 26, 2018, 10:33:01 AM »
Same issue here. Walmart monsey atea and surroundings are disasters with MO

Offline basketnarb

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: April 26, 2018, 01:47:41 PM »
In Maryland we have a chain of grocery stores called Giant.  There are 2 near me - 1 only allows cards with your name on it for MO but the other one lets me use gift cards.  I do it all the time.  The most I've done in a single purchase is 2k but they might allow more I just don't want to annoy them.  I just make trips on multiple days to get it done.  I've done as much as 10k in a week with no problem.  USPS was easier because the policy was to allow it so I'd 10k+ in one trip but since they stopped allowing it I've had no issues at Giant.

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #1405 on: April 26, 2018, 02:04:51 PM »
In Maryland we have a chain of grocery stores called Giant.  There are 2 near me - 1 only allows cards with your name on it for MO but the other one lets me use gift cards.  I do it all the time.  The most I've done in a single purchase is 2k but they might allow more I just don't want to annoy them.  I just make trips on multiple days to get it done.  I've done as much as 10k in a week with no problem.  USPS was easier because the policy was to allow it so I'd 10k+ in one trip but since they stopped allowing it I've had no issues at Giant.
i don't think USPS policy allows gift cards for MO

Offline basketnarb

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: April 26, 2018, 02:22:06 PM »
i don't think USPS policy allows gift cards for MO

Obviously I'm not talking about store gift cards but the Visa/Mastercard Pin Enabled Gift Cards:

I guess I should have said Debit Cards.

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: April 26, 2018, 02:26:35 PM »
Obviously I'm not talking about store gift cards but the Visa/Mastercard Pin Enabled Gift Cards:

I guess I should have said Debit Cards.

he knew what you meant by gc

Offline helpyouamdme

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • contact ‘Kоѕhеr Ski Club’ for the experience of a lifetime!
« Reply #1408 on: April 26, 2018, 02:31:01 PM »
debit cards is working, the online gc like giftcard.com, they start to block it when it's being used by a post office

Offline basketnarb

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: April 26, 2018, 02:33:54 PM »

Well then what was his question?  Did he think I said that the USPS currently allows GC for MO? Clearly this sentence - "USPS was easier because the policy was to allow it so I'd 10k+ in one trip but since they stopped allowing it I've had no issues at Giant." - was written in the past tense and acknowledges that they don't allow it anymore.  So if he wasn't asking about my use of gift card then what was the question?

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #1410 on: April 26, 2018, 02:39:31 PM »
Well then what was his question?  Did he think I said that the USPS currently allows GC for MO? Clearly this sentence - "USPS was easier because the policy was to allow it so I'd 10k+ in one trip but since they stopped allowing it I've had no issues at Giant." - was written in the past tense and acknowledges that they don't allow it anymore.  So if he wasn't asking about my use of gift card then what was the question?
you implied that usps policy was to allow gift cards for MO purchases which is incorrect

Offline basketnarb

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: April 26, 2018, 02:46:39 PM »
you implied that usps policy was to allow gift cards for MO purchases which is incorrect

Prior to the November memo was the official USPS policy to not accept GC for MO? 

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: April 26, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »
Prior to the November memo was the official USPS policy to not accept GC for MO?
just because the system let it go through doesn't mean it was allowed. You still had to hide the fact that it was a gift card.
Debit cards with your name on it were allowed.

Offline basketnarb

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: April 26, 2018, 02:54:16 PM »
just because the system let it go through doesn't mean it was allowed. You still had to hide the fact that it was a gift card.
Debit cards with your name on it were allowed.

I never had to hide it.  How could I possibly hide the fact the I was purchasing $16k in MOs and was using 32 different cards?  Perhaps you are correct that there was no language that said GCs were spcifically allowed but since it didn't say they weren't allowed then officially they were.  Were there any DPs that people were denied using GCs prior to the memo?  At Walmart a manager can make whatever decision they want but the USPS is a Governmant agency so they follow strict policy.  They wouldn't tell you it's not allowed because there is no language stating such.

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: April 26, 2018, 02:56:28 PM »
I never had to hide it.  How could I possibly hide the fact the I was purchasing $16k in MOs and was using 32 different cards?  Perhaps you are correct that there was no language that said GCs were spcifically allowed but since it didn't say they weren't allowed then officially they were.  Were there any DPs that people were denied using GCs prior to the memo?  At Walmart a manager can make whatever decision they want but the USPS is a Governmant agency so they follow strict policy.  They wouldn't tell you it's not allowed because there is no language stating such.
i guess it was easier where you live but several times I've been asked for my "debit card" and ID

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: April 26, 2018, 02:57:22 PM »
I have a feeling we use the same Giant...
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #1416 on: April 26, 2018, 02:58:16 PM »
Here is the official policy:

10-1 Selling Domestic and International Money Orders
10-1.1 General Information

Postal money orders can only be purchased using the following payment
methods:
„ United States (U.S.) currency (includes coins).
„ U.S. Treasury checks.
„ Traveler’s checks payable in U.S. dollars.1
„ American Express gift checks payable in U.S. dollars.1
„ Pin-based debit cards.
The maximum amount of any single domestic money order is $1,000.
Customers who wish to purchase postal money orders, Sure Money, or
stored value cards that total $3,000 or more during the same business day
must complete a PS Form 8105-A, Funds Transaction Report (FTR). See
part 10-1.2.

1. Traveler’s checks and American Express gift checks are accepted only when at
least 50 percent of the face value is used to purchase postal products and
services.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 03:01:28 PM by username »
^^^

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 26, 2018, 03:02:54 PM »
Here is the official policy:
Yes that is correct. And you are fully aware the PO has taken the position that GC's are not Pin-based debit cards.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline username

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ┌──────────────────┐ │───> Ữ₴ΣЯИΛΜӘ <─── │ └──────────────────┘
« Reply #1418 on: April 26, 2018, 03:05:42 PM »
Yes that is correct. And you are fully aware the PO has taken the position that GC's are not Pin-based debit cards.
I am painfully aware. and I respect their decision...meaning I recognize that they definitely have the right to make/define the rules.
^^^

Offline basketnarb

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: April 26, 2018, 03:15:45 PM »
I have a feeling we use the same Giant...
Gucci?