Topic Wiki

List of TR's: Davidmal, CGR, Sam28

Kosher/ Restaurants:

Lisbon:
-Genesis Lisboa Restaurant, https://www.instagram.com/genesislisbon?, Whatsapp: +351 961 491 327

Cascais (outside Lisbon):
-Chabad, for €25 you get a baguette, main dish, two side dishes, and dessert. A bottle of wine is €10. Delivery within Cascais is €10, delivery to Lisbon €40. 24-hour advance notice is required. chabadpt@gmail.com

Porto:
-Ibéria by Sababa Restaurant, https://www.instagram.com/iberiaporto?, Whatsapp: +351 910 079 657
-Hotel da Música, info@hoteldamusica.com, reservations required 24 hours in advance, has Shabbos meals available as well

Faro (Algarve region):
-Ezra’s Kosher Market, WhatsApp is +351 960 066 585. Kosher market available by appointment, Shabbos food/catering available with advance order.

Synagogue:

Lisbon:
-Shaare Tikvah Synagogue, visits@cilisboa.org

Cascais (outside Lisbon):
-Chabad, chabadpt@gmail.com

Porto:
-Synagogue Kadoorie Mekor Haim, info@comunidade-israelita-porto.org

Activities:

Lisbon:
- Lisboa Card if you plan on doing several museums/attractions and using public transport (https://www.lisboacard.org/)
- Shaare Tikvah Synagogue tour
- Castelo de S. Jorge
- Bairro Alto and Alfama neighborhoods (https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/audio/audio-tours/spain-portugal-audio-tours)
- Pink Street
- Arco da Rua Augusta (great views from atop the arch)
- Praça do Comércio
- Lisboa Story Centre (Lisbon history museum)
- Museu Nacional de Arte Antiga
- Belém Tower
- Museu de Marinha
- Palácio Nacional da Ajuda
- Tiles Museum
- Carriage Museum.
- 1506 Jewish Massacre Memorial
- Livraria Bertrand Chiado- oldest bookshop in the world (continuously in operation since 1732)
- Overlooks: Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara, Miradouro de Santa Luzia, Miradouro das Portas do Sol, Miradouro da Graça
- Praça do Rossio
- Palace Fronteira
- Parque Eduardo VII
- Sharei Tikva Museum expected to open sometime in 2024
- Day trip to Cascais: Boca do Inferno, Mirador Casa de Santa María, walk the streets, Citadel of Cascais, Espaço Memória dos Exílios
- Day trip to Sintra: Pena Palace, Castelo dos Mouros, Sintra National Palace, Quinta da Regaleira, Park and Palace of Monserrate, Queluz National Palace, Cabo do Roca, hike Cabo do Roca to Azhenas do Mar.

Porto:
- Livraria Lello (bookshop that inspired JK Rowling to write Harry Potter series)
- Jewish Museum of Porto (across the street from Synagogue Kadoorie Mekor Haim- reservations are required info@comunidade-israelita-porto.org)
- Museu do Holocausto do Porto
- Bolsa Palace
- Cais da Ribeira (promenade)
- Luís I Bridge
- Praça do Município
- Miradouro da Vitória (ovelook)
- Muralha Fernandina- Porto’s old city walls
- Day Trip to Douro Valley Region
- Day Trip to Aveiro ("Venice" of Portugal)

Alentejo Region:
- This region was inhabited by Jews prior to the inquisition. Notable towns include: Trancoso, Belmonte, Coimbra, Tomar, Castelo de Vide, Marvao, Elvas, & Evora

Algarve region:
- Beaches: Praia da Coelha, Praia de São Rafael, Praia da Falésia, Praia de Benagil, Praia do Carvalho, Algor Seco, Carvoeiro Boardwalk, Praia dos Estudantes, Praia de Dona Ana, Praia do Camilo, Ponta da Piedade
- Hiking: Seven Hanging Valleys Trail, Trail of Headlands
- Faro: Arco da Vila, Cidade Velha, Centro Histórico Judaico de Faro, Palácio de Estói
- Sagres: Torre de Aspa lookout, Fortalez de Sagres, Cabo de São Vicente
- Lagos: Castle of Lagos, Lagos Old Town
- Other: Benagil caves, Sand City in Lagoa, Castelo de Silves, Albufeira

Hotels:
« Last edited by cgr on March 12, 2024, 12:28:14 PM »

Author Topic: Portugal Master Thread  (Read 21214 times)

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Portugal Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2018, 10:03:56 AM »
Contacted and shalom at kosherlisboa.com

Offline saw50st8

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2019, 07:03:07 AM »
Is a 5 hour stopover long enough to leave the airport and see anything in Lisbon?

Offline chevron

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2019, 10:52:23 PM »
Is a 5 hour stopover long enough to leave the airport and see anything in Lisbon?

Hmmm well, enough to leave airport, not to see everything. I'd say it's 30 min to areas worth seeing. So I guess you could tour 2 hours? I forgot how long the trolley ride is but do that

Offline saw50st8

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »
Hmmm well, enough to leave airport, not to see everything. I'd say it's 30 min to areas worth seeing. So I guess you could tour 2 hours? I forgot how long the trolley ride is but do that

Anything specific to recommend?

Offline bb_sam

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2019, 12:30:42 PM »
I think I'm going to do a 48 hour layover in Lisbon -- any suggestion as to which Marriott Bonvoy property is the best location to stay at?

Online BCL

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2019, 06:47:40 PM »
7 hour stopover in LIS with 4 kids (age 6-11). What is recommended? (Castle? Maritime museum? Just walk around?)
Do I need to exchange for Euros to ride public transportation (train? trolley?)
Can I get kosher food?

Offline iamhappyz

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2019, 12:25:36 AM »
There is a ton of walking in Lisbon and everything is hills. You can get a pass for the day that includes most trams, buses, trains and even some boats but keep in mind if you are going with a family, taxis is probably cheaper if you can fit into one taxi.  Taxis are pretty cheap there.  Best thing to do is make your plan and see how you will get there and then decide if the pass is worth it (include transportation to/from airport but keep in mind will take longer to get there by train from/to airport).  There are two passes one includes museums and is much more expensive and is probably not worth your while the other might be but again if you can all fit into a taxi you are probably better off with that especially if you only have limited time to spend there. 
That being said the castle is really neat for kids if they enjoy old buildings.  The tour which is free with your paid admission was really good and explained things really well but it is about an hour but not all kids are able to do it.  You can always leave in the middle.  We were lucky as we only had to wait about 15 minutes for the next English tour but as they only do it every 2 or 3 hours, I would suggest finding out if they have a time schedule and plan around it.  If you are not taking a taxi directly there, it is a little confusing going through the streets finding it, so give yourself time to find it.  In addition depending when you go the lines could be long just to get into the castle.
The trams are neat to go on for the kids but if you go in the summer it will be really hot and crowded.
If you are going this time of year make sure to carry lots of drinks as will be really hot.
The main thing in Lisbon is the views, they have a bunch of lookout places and European Plazas kinda neat to see.
There is the shul but only open certain times and I think you need to make an appointment to see it. We were there on a Sunday and it wasn't open.
They also have a Jewish tour but nothing was going to be open on Sunday so we did not take it but if you go online you can Google it and see if worthwhile for you.
There are a bunch of museums, we went to the tile museum which I would not recommend for kids.  It was in an interesting building and had some interesting things but not for kids and even some adults, though it was highly rated.
I did see online that there are boat tours which might be nice for the kids to get a different view of Lisbon and maybe a little cooler and a good break from walking. They even have a sunset tour which is supposed to be very nice.
By the water they have a farmers market which is inside and kind of neat to see but you need to check out times and days when it is open.
If you have an extra day there is a bigger castle out of Lisbon.  We didn't go as we did not have the time but it is supposed to be very nice. Lisbon is a nice stop over for a day but there is a lot of walking on steep hills and it does get hot in the summer.
Hope this helps.

Offline MosheP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »
Has anyone ever ordered Kosher from any of the services offering in Lisbon?
Also, recommendations for day trips from Lisbon?
Thanks

Offline ethana

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2019, 09:43:07 AM »
sintra and obidos were great day trips

Offline GAM Z.

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2019, 02:53:03 PM »
Has anyone ever ordered Kosher from any of the services offering in Lisbon?
Thanks
Bump

Offline blue eyes

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2020, 11:43:32 AM »
Has anyone been to the hotel da musica kosher restaurant for Shabbos?

Offline MrsZev

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2020, 11:38:39 AM »
Wanted to give a little TR (my first) about a couple things in Lisbon. :)

I had a 6hr layover between Chicago & TLV, and took an opportunity to visit Shaarei Tikvah, and check out the kosher market.

Took an Uber to Shaarei Tikvah for 10 Euro, and my driver was an off-season tour guide. I had a conversation with another lady a couple of days later who said her group had similar luck with their taxi driver, so if you find yourself in Lisbon in the Jan-Feb months it seems like driving folks around is a common pick-up job for tour guides who are filling in gaps during the slow season! Amongst other things, he pointed out the aqueduct, which I took a mental note to check out in more depth during my next visit.

You have to prearrange a visit to Shaarei Tikvah, but it was easy to send an email to visits@cilisboa.org, and there is more info for larger groups here: https://cilisboa.org/activities-and-services/synagogue/. They asked for a copy of my passport or the number in advance, for security. Be advised that they do not allow carry-on luggage into the shul. I didn't have a problem with my backpack, but my rollerboard raised concern.

Sandra is a GEM!! Not only did I get a tour and history of the shul and the current community, Sandra covered the history of Jews in Portugal going back to 2nd temple periods. She spent about an hour with me 1:1. It would have been difficult with my littlest kids (they'd have been bored, I think?), but pre-teens and up should be comfortable. Not too much walking around, we sat in the sanctuary until we went upstairs to the women's balcony (which you could skip if you don't like the stairs).

The recommended donation is 5 Euro, but I personally recommend much more - the website has a PayPal donation link, and bank info if you want to send an electronic donation.

After the tour, I elected to walk to the kosher market (http://portuel-kosher-portugal.pt/). I made it, but huffing and puffing - took just under 20 min on slippery cobblestone sidewalks (it had been drizzly) up and down steep hills. I imagine an Uber would have cost under 3 Euro (and some of my self-respect at not being able to walk 20 min up and down the mountain). The market is new since my last visit to Lisbon in 2014. They have a variety of Israeli products, reheatable meals (like airline food), ramen, snacks, candy, etc. When I was there, there was a modest selection of cheese and deli - enough to make a snack or stock an Airbnb kitchen, just not enough to be picky. I imagine that might be different during a more popular tourist season, though. The owner also bakes fresh challah for Shabbat (order in advance: http://portuel-kosher-portugal.pt/categoria-produto/bakery-please-order-in-advance/), and has a large stock of frozen kosher meats & products (including pita). If you're just passing through, contact them in advance to request a sandwich (http://portuel-kosher-portugal.pt/categoria-produto/sandwiches/). There's an excellent wine selection, and Shabbat-friendly equipment (disposables, hot plates for rent, etc.).

From the kosher market, I took a 6 Euro Uber back to the airport.

On my return, I had a chance to go to the ANA lounge via Priority Pass. There was a great selection of breakfast cereals, drinks, whole fresh fruit (apples, oranges), and a bunch of other fresh-made non-kosher food I was jealous of. Best of all... they have sleeping rooms, which I was super grateful to take advantage of after the 5am flight from TLV. The only catch to the lounges at LIS is that they are all on the other side of passport control from the flights between US & Israel. The airport is split into S and N 'wings' of Terminal 1. Both of my flights out of LIS, to ORD and to TLV, were from N and the lounges are in S, beyond border control. I had 4 hours in LIS, so it was worth it - under 2 hours wouldn't have been worth standing in the longish border control line.

Offline ponash123

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2020, 02:14:52 PM »
Any Azores or Madeira trip reports?
Anyone have an opinion on one over the other?

Offline ab613

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2021, 08:27:56 PM »
Does anyone have the number of the Chabad Shliach in Lisbon? TIA

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2022, 03:50:20 PM »
Hi Planning a trip to Portugal in a few weeks anyone know if there is kosher food available ? anyone been to Lagus who can share details ?

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2022, 10:44:38 AM »
Hi Planning a trip to Portugal in a few weeks anyone know if there is kosher food available ? anyone been to Lagus who can share details ?
Did you end up going? I have an extended trip coming up and while the Jewish communities I reached out to (Lisbon, Porto, Belmonte, and Faro) have been very communicative and helpful, first hand experience would be appreciated.

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2022, 06:20:43 PM »
feel like what some have dubbed "the 8th wonder of the world" should be in this thread........

&t=165s

Offline sam28

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2022, 04:33:15 PM »
Did you end up going? I have an extended trip coming up and while the Jewish communities I reached out to (Lisbon, Porto, Belmonte, and Faro) have been very communicative and helpful, first hand experience would be appreciated.

No went somewhere else since u need at least a week or more and i only had 4 days hope to go later this summer for 10 days. went to Montenegro inkstand keep us posted how it went ?

Offline Wizmanison

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2022, 02:08:53 PM »

did you end up going?

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2022, 02:53:07 PM »
did you end up going?
Yes! It was unbelievable!! Hoping I get to write that TR soon because it's droolworthy.