Author Topic: Continental And United Shareholders Approve Merger!  (Read 3913 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Continental And United Shareholders Approve Merger!
« on: September 17, 2010, 11:48:41 AM »
CO and UA are now all signs go for a merger
It's expected to close on 10/01!

It was nice knowing you CO!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Continental And United Shareholders Approve Merger!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:52:51 AM »
Another one kicks the dirt... :(
They should take the jungle jets with them on their way out.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:55:09 AM »
They should take the jungle jets with them on their way out.
I wish.

Or at least install first class in them.

Things I don't want to see from United:
-International Call Center
-United.bomb
-Clubs that charge money for alcohol, don't have free newspapers to take with you, and have closed wi-fi networks.
-Dirty planes.
-Surly employees
-Starnet Blocking
-United doesn’t let you make any changes to Star Alliance tickets after departure and charges for routing changes on Star Alliance tickets.  Continental allows you to always make changes and does  not charge for routing changes.

Things I like from United:
-Economy plus
-No expedite fees on rewards
-First class on regional jets
-More VDB opportunities than Continental.

Anything else?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 12:01:12 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 02:43:13 PM »
Like United one way awards.

Like CO routing rules on award tickets.

But on a whole hate to see CO go :'(

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »
Effective 10/01 UAUA and CAL will be traded as one stock, UAL.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 04:33:46 PM »

how soon do you think it will be before they stop offering the CO cc?

Offline steve2

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 04:36:26 PM »

but its gonna be along time till any passenger will notice anything and it will probably be awhile till we know exactly what will be regarding not only the Mileage Programs but the makeup of the planes (UA has E+ and Intl 3 cabins , CO no E+ and everything is 2 cabins) as well as most things that directly affects the flying passenger and important those that Play the Game

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 04:36:27 PM »
Impossible to say.  Definitely sometime in the next year though.  Apply for it now or forever hold your peace...

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
Impossible to say.  Definitely sometime in the next year though.  Apply for it now or forever hold your peace...

i would but have too many apps in the last few months and just got denied for a card last week (from barclays). I think im better off closing some unused cards and applying in a few months

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 04:40:11 PM »

who says it wont still be issued, Id put it better as when will Chase discontinue the UA CC, Chase knew what was down the pike and havent revamped the UA CC but did redo the CO CC , so I will assume (maybe wrongly) that the CO as One Pass Plus will be the one left standing . (yea it says Continental Airlines on it, but they can either redo them or leave them as is till they exp)

time wil tell

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 05:38:58 PM »
who says it wont still be issued, Id put it better as when will Chase discontinue the UA CC, Chase knew what was down the pike and havent revamped the UA CC but did redo the CO CC , so I will assume (maybe wrongly) that the CO as One Pass Plus will be the one left standing . (yea it says Continental Airlines on it, but they can either redo them or leave them as is till they exp)h

time wil tell
+1
If one of the ccs is to go, it makes sense its gonna be the United one.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 05:58:50 PM »
who says it wont still be issued, Id put it better as when will Chase discontinue the UA CC, Chase knew what was down the pike and havent revamped the UA CC but did redo the CO CC , so I will assume (maybe wrongly) that the CO as One Pass Plus will be the one left standing . (yea it says Continental Airlines on it, but they can either redo them or leave them as is till they exp)

time wil tell

+1
If one of the ccs is to go, it makes sense its gonna be the United one.
I'm sure both cards will be retired and rebranded when the new mileage programmed is renamed.

But I'd be inclined to guess that it will be a Visa like the current UA card rather than MC.
Visa probably has a long-term relationship with United that would take precedence over CO's MC relationship.

And Chase's rebranding of the CO cards was a very long time in the making.  It definitely predated the merger.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 06:06:47 PM »
I'm sure both cards will be retired and rebranded when the new mileage programmed is renamed.

But I'd be inclined to guess that it will be a Visa like the current UA card rather than MC.
Visa probably has a long-term relationship with United that would take precedence over CO's MC relationship.

And Chase's rebranding of the CO cards was a very long time in the making.  It definitely predated the merger.

lets not forget that AA & Citi issue both VISAs and MCs so why cant Chase also?

I do agree that the Chase CO rebranding didnt happen overnight, but if Chase was going to KO the COs CCs then they could have saved themselves alot of $$$ by stopping it once they knew something was  probably gonna happen merge wise and yet didnt. Maybe Im fishing in the wrong place but theres alot out there that none of us knows anything about and over time we all we finally find out what will be

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 06:14:20 PM »
lets not forget that AA & Citi issue both VISAs and MCs so why cant Chase also?

I do agree that the Chase CO rebranding didnt happen overnight, but if Chase was going to KO the COs CCs then they could have saved themselves alot of $$$ by stopping it once they knew something was  probably gonna happen merge wise and yet didnt. Maybe Im fishing in the wrong place but theres alot out there that none of us knows anything about and over time we all we finally find out what will be
The Citi AA card is an anomaly.  You can get it in MC, Visa, and AMEX card flavors. 
I don't know of any other card offered like that.  Definitely no other affinity card offered by Chase has that.
I expect them to pick one and stick with it.

And I'm sure Chase was already locked into bringing the CO WMC benefits in-house long before the merger announcement.   They couldn't just back out then.  They had no choice but to release the new card as planned.  I don't see that as proof that it will be the surviving card.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 06:29:43 PM »
The Citi AA card is an anomaly.  You can get it in MC, Visa, and AMEX card flavors. 
I don't know of any other card offered like that.  Definitely no other affinity card offered by Chase has that.
I expect them to pick one and stick with it.

And I'm sure Chase was already locked into bringing the CO WMC benefits in-house long before the merger announcement.   They couldn't just back out then.  They had no choice but to release the new card as planned.  I don't see that as proof that it will be the surviving card.

time will tell, arguments can be made for either way and both will make sense

as for  backing out Im sure Chase could have if they wanted to. Companies back out of merges all the time and will pay the Walk away fees and if they do its because it was well worth it for them to. If that was the case with Chase I have no idea. Companys spend millions on R&D and after many yrs simply walk away from the project w/o it ever getting off the ground

But for now it really doesnt make too much of a difference what will survive as both cards are still being issued and no reason not to get both now as long as Chase will give them

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2010, 08:47:45 PM »
From an email from both United and CO,
"Also, beginning today, Red Carpet Clubs offer free wireless Internet access and a selection of complimentary alcoholic beverages."
Nice change!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 06:45:41 PM »
Cute merger photo:

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 06:48:31 PM »
WSJ interviews Smisek

Some interesting quotes...

WSJ: The combined management team was billed as being equally divided between former Continental and United veterans. Yet there is only one United executive among the highest compensated top tier. Is that a coincidence?

Mr. Smisek: I think it's a coincidence. If you look at the total team, it's quite balanced. It's very important to me to make sure we got something that everyone would feel is fair and equitable, but also pick up really good talent from both organizations.

WSJ: Will importing that culture to United, which has a long history of unhappy workers, be an even bigger job?

Mr. Smisek: No, I think it will be far easier. Continental in 1995 was truly dysfunctional. United is not.