Author Topic: Going into a Reform Temple  (Read 2025 times)

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Going into a Reform Temple
« on: December 16, 2013, 05:32:49 PM »
I unfortunately have to go to a relative's funeral which will be taking place in a Reform temple. I asked a shaila and was instructed to avoid being in the sanctuary during the actual service, but that I may enter the building and even the sanctuary as long as it is not during the service. My wife, however, is allowed to attend the actual service.

I am curious to know what other frum members' experiences have been. Have you received the same psak? If not, what were you told to do? Was there a differentiation made between men and women?

Offline Myccrabbi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Going into a Reform Temple
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 05:50:29 PM »
I unfortunately have to go to a relative's funeral which will be taking place in a Reform temple. I asked a shaila and was instructed to avoid being in the sanctuary during the actual service, but that I may enter the building and even the sanctuary as long as it is not during the service. My wife, however, is allowed to attend the actual service.

I am curious to know what other frum members' experiences have been. Have you received the same psak? If not, what were you told to do? Was there a differentiation made between men and women?
let me guess......
Is the descended from ur wife's side?
If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline Super Speed

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 06:05:26 PM »
let me guess......
Is the deceased from ur wife's side?
FTFY

Offline george

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 06:09:25 PM »
let me guess......
Is the deceased from ur wife's side?
Yes, but that was not why my wife was allowed to attend. It has nothing to do with who's relative it was.
The reason for the differentiation was that a frum man walking in is more of a validation of the temple and service than when a frum woman walks in.

Offline ReadsTheT&C

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »
What issur would you be ohver on? Is this more of just a Da'as Torah concern?

Offline Myccrabbi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 06:13:59 PM »
Yes, but that was not why my wife was allowed to attend. It has nothing to do with who's relative it was.
The reason for the differentiation was that a frum man walking in is more of a validation of the temple and service than when a frum woman walks in.
that's what the rabbi told u?
If u work for a living, why kill urself working?

Offline george

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 06:18:40 PM »

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »
Where I live there is an Orthodox Minyan that rents a room in a Conservative Temple, I'm not sure how they worked everything out but I'm assuming it all works Halachicaly...

Offline SamKey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 07:03:21 PM »
Where I live there is an Orthodox Minyan that rents a room in a Conservative Temple, I'm not sure how they worked everything out but I'm assuming it all works Halachicaly...
not sure but could be conservative us different than reform

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 07:43:53 PM »
not sure but could be conservative us different than reform
Not FWIU (at least not in this situation).

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »
Servicing in a Reform Temple is validating their temple..... that's why its not really a problem for ladies. However as for Achas Veachas's story, the fact that they wonna make a separate minyan, shows that they are not validating the reform temple.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 03:57:21 AM »
Ok, here we go:

באגרות משה או"ח חלק ב' סי' מ' דן באיסור הכניסה ל"קאנסערוואטיבי" או "ריפארם טעמפעל", במקום שיש באותו בנין חדר מיוחד שבו מתפללים מנין עם מחיצה כשירה. ופוסק שאסור ליכנס להבנין, משום החשש שיאמרו שהוא נכנס להתפלל במקום שאינו כשר.

ועיין שם בהתשובה, שר' משה זצ"ל כותב, שבכלל משמע שספק מראית עין מותר, וא"כ במקרה שאיש ירא אלקים נכנס לטעמפעל כדי להשתתף בבר מצוה של אחיו, לכאורה כל מי שרואהו נכנס לשם יאמר שהוא נכנס לשם כדי להשתתף בהבר מצוה ולא כדי להתפלל שם.
וכך הוא כתב: "ובדבר חתונה שתהיה בקאנסערוואטיווי טעמפל . . אם רב כשר יסדר הקידושין כדין התורה, אזי כיון שהחתונה היא אינה בזמן שבאים להתפלל שם ליכא איסור מדינא, שהרי אין מקום לחשוד שהולכין להתפלל שם, אבל לאדם חשוב אין לו לילך לשם אף באופן זה רק כשהוא צורך גדול ורק דרך מקרה שנזדמן כן".

והגאון ר"מ פיינשטיין כתב בזה דברים ברורים במקו"א: "...ביהכ"נ של קאנסערוואטיוון לא יעשו מנין אף בחדר אחר, מכיון שפרסמו שהם חבורה שכופרים בכמה דיני התורה, והרחק מעליה דרכה נאמר במינים ומינות בע"ז דף י"ז ע"א, כי גם הכופרים בדבר אחד מן התורה נחשבו כופרים בתורה כדאיתא ברמב"ם פ"ג מתשובה ה"ל ודינם כמינים כדאיתא שם בה"ו...".

----------

בכרוז 'פסק-בית-דין' רבני הונגריה נגד הרפורמים שמשנים מנהגי ישראל "להתדמות ולהתחבר ולהתערב לשאר נימוסי דתות אוה"ע ולהחליש ולעקור ר"ל דת יהדות", שנחתם במיכאלוביץ בשנת תרכ"ו, כותבים הם באות ז:
"בתי כנסיות הנקראים קאהר שוהל, מאחר שהוא בית אפיקורסות אסור לכנוס לתוכם כדאיתא במס' שבת דך קט"ז ע"א א"ר טרפון וכו' שאפילו אדם רודף אחריו להרגו ונחש רץ להכישו נכנס לבית ע"ז ואינו נכנס לבתיהם של אלו וכו' . . אלו בתי כנסיות אשר כתבנו שאסור לכנוס לתוכם אין חילוק בין שאר ימים לשבת ור"ה ויו"כ, ואף אם צריך להתפלל עי"כ ביחידות".

------------
Of course the latter was authored by the ungarishe kanoim...  that's a story for itself..
But as you see, Reb Moshe is quite machmir, but still not nearly as much as the original "banners."