Author Topic: Yom Kippur Davening  (Read 106984 times)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
Re: Yom Kippur Davening
« Reply #500 on: September 25, 2018, 11:31:46 PM »
Sukkos 5779, Chabad in Yehupitz.
Began the brachos at 7:39, completed naanuim by 7:41. Coffee at 7:44.

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #501 on: September 25, 2018, 11:44:02 PM »
Sukkos 5779, Chabad in Yehupitz.
Began the brachos at 7:39, completed naanuim by 7:41. Coffee at 7:44.
Missing the simchas beis hashoeva end time.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Yonah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 03, 2018, 02:57:26 PM »
With a name like yours, no wonder you need extra strength during Neila, after what you've just been through during Mincha.  ;D

Touche.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 03, 2018, 10:20:40 PM »
I hate fasting.. even something minor like tzom gedalia. but I confess that Yom Kippur is my favorite holiday. I love the swell of emotion, uplifting prayers, supplications and beseeching. No concert number can begin to pale in comparison to the prayers and activities of Yom Kippur.

Where do I start ? For one, the machzor packs in so much you barely have a minute to absorb anything. It's all raw emotion.

Some of the prayers are the most passionate pleading of any written work of history.  One example if the chazan's shacharit repetition.

This day it is written    הַיּוֹם יִכָּתֵב

בְּסֵֽפֶר הַזִּכְרוֹנוֹת.

in the Book of Remembrance,

הַחַיִּים וְהַמָּֽוֶת.

[who is for] life and [who for] death.

אָֽנָא כַּנָּה. עֽוּרִי נָא.

Please, [Yisrael, who is God's] vineyard, awake!

הִתְעוֹרְרִי נָא. עִמְדִי נָא.

Rouse yourselves and stand [in prayer]

הִתְיַצְּבִי נָא. קֽוּמִי נָא. חַלִּי נָא.

strengthen yourselves, rise up, plead,

בְּעַד הַנֶּֽפֶשׁ חֲנִי נָא.

for the sake of [your] soul, plead,

פְּנֵי דַר עֶלְיוֹן:

plead to Him Who dwells on high.

We humans are fickle. We fear silly things and shrug off real danger's. Sometimes we may have to remind ourselves to pay a bill or we will be evicted, or really do not do that to your boss or you will be fired and yes 9000 feet elevation is scary so please be careful!

And behold it's the 10th day of tishrey. We know this because the calendar says so, because everyone is in the synagogue..

This is the day!! Wake me up God!! Wake yourself up!

Make no mistake, the prayers are well orchestrated! They built up to the greatest climax never matched in any cinema setting.

The Torah reading describes Yom Kippur. Then comes the avoda. The avoda was intended to place us in the beit hamikdash. To connect us to the services.  Lifney hashem titaharu! In potraits of incredible heights we are given a front seat view to the kohen gadol and the nation.

How can one not be overwhelmed and swept up by this ?!? How can one not feel themselves in the mikdash as the high priest proclaimed the mighty and beloved name of the holy one blessed be he.. and the whole nation including you kneels and bows !!

For me, the prayer of the high priest is most prounonced.. financial indepence, no miscarriage, the house of David should not pass.

And so I pray . Shnas Ora, shnas bracha etc..

But what if every day was yom Kippur.. what if every day I could muster such incredible emotions, such highs! Such fear and joy.. such belief and sober reality that today matters!! That today would affect my destiny and that of the nation of Israel

If only I would awake each day with awe and Joy. Ready to wage battle, to change, to improve, to be better..

But I don't, I wake each morning to the drone of life.. knowing that today is a stepping stone to tomorrow.. and today will fade like yesterday.. as life fades away.

I try to pray with emotion but it escapes me.. there's no "Ana slach na, mechol na, kaper na.. "

But maybe that's what life is about.. fireworks last a few minutes or hours and life resumes.

At the end of neilah we say shema yisrael. One is supposed to say it as if he's ready right now to give his life Al kiddush hashem. So over the years I thought in the sense that if someone is going to kill me right now ,I'm ready to die al Kiddush hashem.  It doesn't really work because bh we have great security in the shull.. who is going to kill me ?!? Besides I lived in gush katif, Chevron and Jerusalem, I'm not scared to die al Kiddush hashem. I thought of what Rabbi soloveitchik said regarding the akeida, God doesn't want human sacrifices - he wants humans to sacrifice themselves. So, if the holy one blessed be he came to me during neilah and said "sacrifice your life Al kiddush hashem! Dedicate the rest of your life to doing my work!" Will I say yes! Or will I ask God how much it pays?!?

Well, that's a lot to think about!

I didn't keep track of times, but it was a good yk!

Offline churnbabychurn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 04, 2018, 08:56:52 PM »
I hate fasting.. even something minor like tzom gedalia. but I confess that Yom Kippur is my favorite holiday. I love the swell of emotion, uplifting prayers, supplications and beseeching. No concert number can begin to pale in comparison to the prayers and activities of Yom Kippur.

Where do I start ? For one, the machzor packs in so much you barely have a minute to absorb anything. It's all raw emotion.

Some of the prayers are the most passionate pleading of any written work of history.  One example if the chazan's shacharit repetition.

הַחַיִּים וְהַמָּֽוֶת.

פְּנֵי דַר עֶלְיוֹן:

We humans are fickle. We fear silly things and shrug off real danger's. Sometimes we may have to remind ourselves to pay a bill or we will be evicted, or really do not do that to your boss or you will be fired and yes 9000 feet elevation is scary so please be careful!

And behold it's the 10th day of tishrey. We know this because the calendar says so, because everyone is in the synagogue..

Make no mistake, the prayers are well orchestrated! They built up to the greatest climax never matched in any cinema setting.

The Torah reading describes Yom Kippur. Then comes the avoda. The avoda was intended to place us in the beit hamikdash. To connect us to the services.  Lifney hashem titaharu! In potraits of incredible heights we are given a front seat view to the kohen gadol and the nation.

How can one not be overwhelmed and swept up by this ?!? How can one not feel themselves in the mikdash as the high priest proclaimed the mighty and beloved name of the holy one blessed be he.. and the whole nation including you kneels and bows !!

For me, the prayer of the high priest is most prounonced.. financial indepence, no miscarriage, the house of David should not pass.

But what if every day was yom Kippur.. what if every day I could muster such incredible emotions, such highs! Such fear and joy.. such belief and sober reality that today matters!! That today would affect my destiny and that of the nation of Israel

If only I would awake each day with awe and Joy. Ready to wage battle, to change, to improve, to be better..

But I don't, I wake each morning to the drone of life.. knowing that today is a stepping stone to tomorrow.. and today will fade like yesterday.. as life fades away.

I try to pray with emotion but it escapes me.. there's no "Ana slach na, mechol na, kaper na.. "

But maybe that's what life is about.. fireworks last a few minutes or hours and life resumes.

At the end of neilah we say shema yisrael. One is supposed to say it as if he's ready right now to give his life Al kiddush hashem. So over the years I thought in the sense that if someone is going to kill me right now ,I'm ready to die al Kiddush hashem.  It doesn't really work because bh we have great security in the shull.. who is going to kill me ?!? Besides I lived in gush katif, Chevron and Jerusalem, I'm not scared to die al Kiddush hashem. I thought of what Rabbi soloveitchik said regarding the akeida, God doesn't want human sacrifices - he wants humans to sacrifice themselves. So, if the holy one blessed be he came to me during neilah and said "sacrifice your life Al kiddush hashem! Dedicate the rest of your life to doing my work!" Will I say yes! Or will I ask God how much it pays?!?

+500

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 04, 2018, 08:58:09 PM »

הַחַיִּים וְהַמָּֽוֶת.

פְּנֵי דַר עֶלְיוֹן:

Very powerful!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #506 on: October 09, 2019, 08:39:08 PM »
How long did it take in your shul?

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Shacharis-Musaf: 9:30-3:15
Mincha-Neilah: 6:00-8:15

I bought psicha for kol nidrei for 4x chai and levi by mincha for 7x chai.
Maftir Yonah went for $770 and Psicha for Neilah went for 110x chai.

2011:

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Shacharis-Musaf: 9:30-2:45
Mincha-Neilah: 5:15-7:40

Maftir Yona: $770
Neilah: 70 x $18

Chabad of Beachwood, OH
9:30a-3:00p
5:30-8:00p

Maftir Yonah was sold privately.
Neilah went for $3,600

I got Levi at Mincha though for just $90 :)

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Shacharis-Musaf: 9:30-3:00
Mincha-Neilah: 5:30-8:20

Psicha for kol nidrei 32x chai
Maftir Yonah $1,100
Psicha for Neilah 300x chai.

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Mincha-Neilah: 5:30-7:45

Psicha for kol nidrei 12x chai
Maftir Yonah 25x chai
Psicha for Neilah 450x chai.

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Mincha-Neilah: 5:30-8:05

Psicha for kol nidrei 27x chai
Maftir Yonah 15x chai
Psicha for Neilah 370x chai.

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Mincha-Neilah: 5:15-7:30

Psicha for kol nidrei 20x chai
Maftir Yonah 36x chai
Psicha for Neilah 400x chai.

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Shacharis-Musaf: 9:30-2:50
Mincha-Neilah: 5:15-7:50

Psicha for kol nidrei 21x chai
Maftir Yonah 30x chai
Psicha for Neilah 250x chai

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Mincha-Neilah: 5:40-8:15

Maftir Yonah $1,500
Psicha for Neilah 120x chai
Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Mincha-Neilah: 5:15-7:36

Psicha for kol nidrei 100x chai
Maftir Yonah $1,500
Psicha for Neilah 200x chai
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:01:55 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline bb1836

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 154
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 09, 2019, 09:14:59 PM »
BH, it seems like ppl had a successful year this past year! Iyh Vaiter!
As @davidmal says: "Likes" feed the family

Offline hgeek23

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
    • Israel Olympian AJ Edelman / Israel Bobsled BobTeam Edelman
  • Location: A bobsled track going 90mph, or in a plane doing 500.
  • Programs: Sleeping-on-couches (Hachnasat Orchim) Diamond
« Reply #508 on: October 10, 2019, 09:52:00 AM »
Thought this might be relevant here. Know it's a bit late but for any Vancouver-ites, the story happened in YVR.
http://jewinthecity.com/2019/10/how-leading-yom-kippur-prayers-helped-me-get-to-the-olympics/

Offline yesitsme

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 28, 2020, 08:12:58 PM »
Shofer was 7:17
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 10:13:22 PM by yesitsme »
["-"]

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #510 on: September 28, 2020, 08:56:53 PM »
How long did it take in your shul?

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Shacharis-Musaf: 9:30-3:15
Mincha-Neilah: 6:00-8:15

I bought psicha for kol nidrei for 4x chai and levi by mincha for 7x chai.
Maftir Yonah went for $770 and Psicha for Neilah went for 110x chai.

2011:

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Shacharis-Musaf: 9:30-2:45
Mincha-Neilah: 5:15-7:40

Maftir Yona: $770
Neilah: 70 x $18

Chabad of Beachwood, OH
9:30a-3:00p
5:30-8:00p

Maftir Yonah was sold privately.
Neilah went for $3,600

I got Levi at Mincha though for just $90 :)

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Mincha-Neilah: 5:30-8:20

Psicha for kol nidrei 32x chai
Maftir Yonah $1,100
Psicha for Neilah 300x chai.

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Mincha-Neilah: 5:30-7:45

Psicha for kol nidrei 12x chai
Maftir Yonah 25x chai
Psicha for Neilah 450x chai.

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Mincha-Neilah: 5:30-8:05

Psicha for kol nidrei 27x chai
Maftir Yonah 15x chai
Psicha for Neilah 370x chai.

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Mincha-Neilah: 5:15-7:30

Maftir Yonah 36x chai
Psicha for Neilah 400x chai.

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Mincha-Neilah: 5:15-7:50

Psicha for kol nidrei 21x chai
Maftir Yonah 30x chai
Psicha for Neilah 250x chai

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Mincha-Neilah: 5:40-8:15

Maftir Yonah $1,500
Psicha for Neilah 120x chai

Chabad of Beachwood, OH:
Mincha-Neilah: 5:15-7:36

Psicha for kol nidrei 100x chai
Maftir Yonah $1,500
Psicha for Neilah 200x chai

Bais Dovid COVID-19 Masked Backyard Tent in Beachwood, OH.
Shacharis-Musaf: 10am-2:35pm
Mincha-Neilah: 5:40pm-7:52pm

Psicha for kol nidrei 200x chai
Maftir Yonah 100x chai
Psicha for Neilah 100x chai
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: September 28, 2020, 09:02:54 PM »

Maftir Yonah 100x chai
How was mincha in the rain?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: September 28, 2020, 09:13:09 PM »
How was mincha in the rain?
BH for the tent, finally paid for itself!

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: September 28, 2020, 11:28:24 PM »

Maftir Yonah 100x chai

Why did pesicha for kol nidrei become so popular in recent years? New mispallelim that are into it?

Online S209

• View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #514 on: September 29, 2020, 12:02:00 AM »
I did pesicha for Neilah :)

What’s it a segulah for?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #515 on: September 29, 2020, 12:02:52 AM »

What’s it a segulah for?

Depends... how to much did it cost you?
Failing at maintaining Lurker status.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 29, 2020, 12:05:15 AM »

What’s it a segulah for?
I've heard that ashirus is a segula for Maftir Yona.

Offline Lurker

• View Profile
  • Location: As always, silence is NOT an admission of agreement on DDF. It just means that people lack the stamina to keep on arguing with made up "facts", illogical arguments, deceiving statements, nasty and degrading comments, and fuzzy math. - @yelped
« Reply #517 on: September 29, 2020, 12:07:13 AM »
I've heard that ashirus is a segula for Maftir Yona.

IME, it's never the rich guys who buy it. Not rich before, and not rich after.

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #518 on: September 29, 2020, 12:18:26 AM »
Why did pesicha for kol nidrei become so popular in recent years? New mispallelim that are into it?

About how many zechusim does it say in the machzor it's a "Mitzvah gedolah" to purchase?

Offline Lurker

• View Profile