Author Topic: What would be your first action after you won the mega millions..  (Read 12817 times)

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: What would be your first action after you won the mega millions..
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »
There's still 40% federal.
And most states and cities do have lottery taxes.  Surprised CA doesn't but that will save you 14%.
In Canada they don't tax lottery winnings. However, if you are an american citizen you are SOL
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2013, 02:14:41 PM »
I don't think you can refer to someone who just won the lottery as SOL :-)

Offline zale

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2013, 03:44:28 PM »
Anonymous claim states:
DE
KS
MD
ND
OH
SC

Here is the problem:

1) on a lottery this big, it will be very hard to get away with claiming the win anonymously. There are people who work for the lottery office that will know who you are, and can be bribed with a LOT of money to divulge this information. This aint' no witness protection.

2) It's every young journalist's dream to break this story and find the true winner. In 2011, three "money managers" claimed a winning ticket of $254 million. The media harassed and abused them because they believed that these were not the true winners, but were claiming it on behalf of the true winner. http://abcn.ws/1fJa6wt

3) It is dangerous. It's better to have everyone know that you won and hate you, than to have nobody except for the wrong people know. Claiming the ticket anonymously is an announcement to organized criminals all over the country that there is a person who just got $500 million and is walking around completely unprotected. They will find out who you are, and you can be kidnapped and extorted, or likely even worse...

The only way to protect yourself is if you are already extremely wealthy, and already have a loyal group of money managers whom you already have had a long relationship with, and already have protection...

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2013, 03:50:32 PM »
Here is the problem:

1) on a lottery this big, it will be very hard to get away with claiming the win anonymously. There are people who work for the lottery office that will know who you are, and can be bribed with a LOT of money to divulge this information. This aint' no witness protection.

2) It's every young journalist's dream to break this story and find the true winner. In 2011, three "money managers" claimed a winning ticket of $254 million. The media harassed and abused them because they believed that these were not the true winners, but were claiming it on behalf of the true winner. http://abcn.ws/1fJa6wt

3) It is dangerous. It's better to have everyone know that you won and hate you, than to have nobody except for the wrong people know. Claiming the ticket anonymously is an announcement to organized criminals all over the country that there is a person who just got $500 million and is walking around completely unprotected. They will find out who you are, and you can be kidnapped and extorted, or likely even worse...

The only way to protect yourself is if you are already extremely wealthy, and already have a loyal group of money managers whom you already have had a long relationship with, and already have protection...

Do we live in Soviet Russia? Call me naive but I don't think people are being kidnapped for wining the lottery.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
Is it paranoia if they really are out to get you?

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2013, 03:52:56 PM »
Is it paranoia if they really are out to get you?
It could be both.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2013, 03:57:28 PM »
Do we live in Soviet Russia? Call me naive but I don't think people are being kidnapped for wining the lottery.
+1
When was the last time you saw a news story of a ransom in the usa? There was a freaky one in co a few years back. Don't know of any others

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2013, 04:07:48 PM »
+1
When was the last time you saw a news story of a ransom in the usa? There was a freaky one in co a few years back. Don't know of any others

Winning the lottery and walking around completely unprotected? sounds like a target on the back.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2013, 04:32:08 PM »
Winning the lottery and walking around completely unprotected? sounds like a target on the back.
Do you think all multi-millionaires walk around with bodyguards or something?  I know billionaires who don't.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline twentie4hrs

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »
Do you think all multi-millionaires walk around with bodyguards or something?  I know billionaires who don't.

Where do they walk around? (Kidding)
A penny saved is 1 cent

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2013, 04:34:25 PM »
Here is the problem:

I thought you were pretending to have facts from somewhere/heard this somewhere

This was all from your boich?

Offline SamKey

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2013, 04:48:34 PM »

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
Here is the problem:

CMIIW but isn't point 2 disproving point 1?  :-\

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2013, 11:20:58 PM »

Care to name one?

"Unprotected" does not only mean bodyguards, it also means protecting yourself and your assets against all types of theft and extortion. When people become wealthy overtime, they have a lot of time to build up this type of security, get to know the right lawyers, accountants, financial advisers etc, and make solid, LOYAL connections. When $500 million comes into your hand from a lottery, you basically have non of that. You have no experience in dealing with that kind of money and don't know who you can trust. All it takes is a sleazy lawyer or accountant to screw you royally.

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2013, 11:25:46 PM »
CMIIW but isn't point 2 disproving point 1?  :-\

Not at all. Point 1 was referring to when the winner himself steps forward and claims it anonymously. There are people who know who the winner is, but they are bound by a privacy law. A nice package can make those privacy laws "go away".

Point 2 was proving that the media will be relentless to find out who you are, and will never, ever accept an "anonymous" winner in a lottery this large. The story in question was not an anonymous lottery winner, but a smart winner who sent financial managers to claim his or her money. The winner must have already been somewhat wealthy to pull this off. The point here is that the media was relentless, and I don't believe they have given up just yet.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2013, 11:31:53 PM »
A bunch of baloney. There are a lot of issues with winning the lottery but this ain't one of em

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2013, 11:32:56 PM »
Care to name one?

"Unprotected" does not only mean bodyguards, it also means protecting yourself and your assets against all types of theft and extortion. When people become wealthy overtime, they have a lot of time to build up this type of security, get to know the right lawyers, accountants, financial advisers etc, and make solid, LOYAL connections. When $500 million comes into your hand from a lottery, you basically have non of that. You have no experience in dealing with that kind of money and don't know who you can trust. All it takes is a sleazy lawyer or accountant to screw you royally.

You just went from kidnapping or abduction to financial fraud. I guess you agree your first statement was ridiculous and you are rephrasing it?

Offline aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2013, 12:02:03 AM »
Do you really think that you can keep something like winning 600 million dollars a secret?

No chance.

Possible if you play your cards right...

Hence

do a app-o-rama
;D
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline zale

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2013, 12:04:32 AM »
You just went from kidnapping or abduction to financial fraud. I guess you agree your first statement was ridiculous and you are rephrasing it?

I get the sense that you are attempting to talk down to me. Let me paraphrase what I wrote: "Unprotected" does not only mean bodyguards.

Talking in a condescending manner to argue your case, such as referring to my statement as "ridiculous", and accusing me of rephrasing it to "cover up" a statement is not a sign of an educated argument. I would expect you out of all people to know that.

Interesting, I just saw this now: http://fxn.ws/1c5TkXD

Watch and learn buddy. Watch and learn.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2013, 12:28:39 AM »
I get the sense that you are attempting to talk down to me. Let me paraphrase what I wrote: "Unprotected" does not only mean bodyguards.

Talking in a condescending manner to argue your case, such as referring to my statement as "ridiculous", and accusing me of rephrasing it to "cover up" a statement is not a sign of an educated argument. I would expect you out of all people to know that.

Interesting, I just saw this now: http://fxn.ws/1c5TkXD

Watch and learn buddy. Watch and learn.
Yes, I will talk rhetorically to someone who says something radical- is bashed for it from many people- and then acts like he never said it. Everyone was referring to kidnapping.

And why me of all people? I am a very cynical and sarcastic people. Hence anything I say on DDF should not have any expectations.

"Claiming the ticket anonymously is an announcement to organized criminals all over the country that there is a person who just got $500 million and is walking around completely unprotected. They will find out who you are, and you can be kidnapped and extorted, or likely even worse..."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:01:11 AM by jj1000 »