Author Topic: Is Amazon racist?  (Read 8229 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Is Amazon racist?
« on: December 20, 2013, 12:19:36 AM »
Link

I don't want to be the one to break it to them, but the first doll house family ain't Caucasian.

Who the heck cares what race the family of their doll house is? Do we not want to offend some bigoted racists with accidentally allowing them to buy a doll house that is inhabited by racially diverse families. Who is searching for Caucasian only doll houses that Amazon or Fisher Price is trying to market to?

*sarcasm* Not to mention in the second product link there is a picture of a black girl playing with a doll house of a white only family- isn't that just terrible? Mixing of the races is morally wrong- as is clear from these products marketing. *sarcasm*

Seriously though am I crazy is this a normal thing to market nowadays?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 12:22:44 AM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline CountValentine

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
Re: Is Amazon racist?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 12:35:30 AM »
If someone prefers to stick to their own is that racist?
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 12:45:27 AM »
If someone prefers to stick to their own is that racist?
I think so. But that was my question. Is marketing to people who want their children to only play with dolls of their race considered racist.

reminds me of

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 12:48:40 AM »
Yeah, I actually got this particular doll house for my daughter and I preferred to get the "Caucasian" family.

Can you really not understand that?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 12:52:15 AM »
Yeah, I actually got this particular doll house for my daughter and I preferred to get the "Caucasian" family.

Can you really not understand that?
Well what's was your logic?

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 12:59:15 AM »
Well what's was your logic?

Why wouldn't I prefer to have my daughter playing with dolls that more closely resemble the people she is pretending them to be? When the "mommy" is walking up the steps, I don't think my daughter is picturing an african american or hispanic woman.

Either way I'm going with CV on this one. I think most of us are more comfortable with our own "type".
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:04:33 AM by bubbles »

Offline menachem_m

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 01:07:43 AM »
Is marketing to people who want their children to only play with dolls of their race considered racist.
Keep in mind that alot of communities are 99% white, (like were I grew up), and unless you watch TV (which I didn't) your childhood would be completely black-person free. I didn't even know black people existed until maybe 7 or 8. I'm sure it can be very strange (if not psychologically negative ?) to a child to receive a black doll, having never seen a real black person in real life. I mean to child how is that different than receiving say, a pink doll? Same obviously vice versa.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 01:14:34 AM »
Why wouldn't I prefer to have my daughter playing with dolls that more closely resemble the people she is pretending them to be? When the "mommy" is walking up the steps, I don't think my daughter is picturing an african american or hispanic woman.

Either way I'm going with CV on this one. I think most of us are more comfortable with our own "type".
Keep in mind that alot of communities are 99% white, (like were I grew up), and unless you watch TV (which I didn't) your childhood would be completely black-person free. I didn't even know black people existed until maybe 7 or 8. I'm sure it can be very strange (if not psychologically negative ?) to a child to receive a black doll, having never seen a real black person in real life. I mean to child how is that different than receiving say, a pink doll? Same obviously vice versa.
Fascinating to me. I grew up very close to racially diverse families so it has always been so natural for me.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 03:10:27 AM »
The problem is most consider this racist. Many different races/religions like to have their own little community. If want to live in an all-white RC community I am labeled as a racist.

Offline wayfe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 03:22:58 AM »
This has nothing to do with Amazon. Fisher-Price is the one who creates the dollhouse and dolls, allowing you to choose caucasian, african american or hispanic. I've seen it listed like this in their holiday catalogue years ago (10 or more years ago).

I'm sure it can be very strange (if not psychologically negative ?) to a child to receive a black doll, having never seen a real black person in real life. I mean to child how is that different than receiving say, a pink doll? Same obviously vice versa.

Actually, if a child isn't familiar with black people- then she won't be associating the dolls at all with the black stereotype. It will be the same as receiving a pink doll or a green doll. And since all child's play is about imagination anyway- why would it be "psychologically negative?"
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned."
— Richard Feynman

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 03:39:28 AM »
If want to live in an all-white RC community I am labeled as a racist.
That sounds racist to me.

If you said all-RC that would be fine. Once you start excluding people based solely on race, that's racist. Wanting to live in a community that shares your values is understandable, excluding a like-minded family based on skin color is racist.

I see no problem with these toys. There's no reason a child shouldn't be able to play with a doll that looks like her.

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 04:04:55 AM »
@JJ would you also consider these racist?

Also, if you were to buy these for your kids, would you choose the one with the shtreimel?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 04:07:50 AM »
@JJ would you also consider these racist?

Also, if you were to buy these for your kids, would you choose the one with the shtreimel?
I can understand wanting Jewish only toys or only catholic themed toys. That has to do with a theology. But if there were white only mitzvah kinder I'd be back were I started.

Offline hertzinstl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 04:13:00 AM »
If want to live in an all-white RC community I am labeled as a racist.
KKK? :o

Offline ChAiM'l

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 04:17:41 AM »
I can understand wanting Jewish only toys or only catholic themed toys. That has to do with a theology. But if there were white only mitzvah kinder I'd be back were I started.

It has nothing to do with theology. It has to do with a child's imagination. Children play with toys and imagine themselves as that doll or GI Joe or whatever. Therefore, the more the child could relate to the toy the more they enjoy it. That's why there are mitzvah kinder toys , because Jewish kids could relate more to something that looks more like themselves. Same goes with black/white (or shall I say African American/Caucasian) toys.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 04:22:35 AM »
It has nothing to do with theology. It has to do with a child's imagination. Children play with toys and imagine themselves as that doll or GI Joe or whatever. Therefore, the more the child could relate to the toy the more they enjoy it. That's why there are mitzvah kinder toys , because Jewish kids could relate more to something that looks more like themselves. Same goes with black/white (or shall I say African American/Caucasian) toys.
Too tired for a full response. But don't fool yourself into thinking mitzva kinder are to help a kid with imagination. Ot was made for very religious families that only want their kids or would rather their kids be exposes to only things from their community and kid with yalmukas is a great way to do that. I'm sure many communities forbid dolls but allow these.

That's the reason they were made. And that is theology.

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 07:12:12 AM »

Offline CountValentine

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 07:17:03 AM »
That sounds racist to me.
Thats because it is racist. Religions love to hide behind race.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 07:52:37 AM »
Thats because it is racist. Religions love to hide behind race.
-1 I grew up in an all religious school and there was a black boy in my grade...

Offline Menachem613

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »

-1 I grew up in an all religious school and there was a black boy in my grade...

Oh, all is ok then.