Author Topic: First Credit Card suggestions  (Read 759 times)

Offline aje6890

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
First Credit Card suggestions
« on: December 25, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »
I just graduated college over the summer, and just landed my first job, which is going to pay me between $50,000-$55,000. I am likely going to open up a new account at a bank, and I am trying to decide which credit card I should get. I'm interested mostly in miles, hotel points, and purchase protection( returns, and extended warranty). Right now the 2 front runners for me are American Express Starwood Preferred Guest, and Chase Sapphire Preferred. I don't mind having to pay an annual fee if I feel its worth. I should also mention that in the past I usually fly Delta (and sometimes Jet Blue) and I would prefer to have miles that can transfer to at least Delta.

Does anyone have any suggestions which credit card I should get? I am definitely open to other suggestion as well.

Also, given that this is my first full time job where I am getting a weekly pay check, am I going to have any issues applying for these credit cards, particularly if I open up a new account at a bank? Should I be looking to get a more basic card like Chase Sapphire Non-Preferred or Chase Freedom and just work on building my credit for a few months first? Any info you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline emak

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: First Credit Card suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 12:53:47 PM »
I wouldn't try getting an amex as a first card. I started with a cap1 but maybe you can get approved for a basic chase card.

Offline sb613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 01:26:42 PM »
Freedem

Offline zh cohen

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 04:05:28 PM »
I'd suggest going with Chase freedom for now, as you may have a hard time getting much else. While you are at it you might as well do a 2/3BM as you might get lucky. Once you've established some credit history, you should be able to get the Sapphire preferred and use it to transfer your points out to miles.

If you also open a checking account by chase, you'll get a 10% bonus on your freedom points.

Offline raphy781

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 04:36:19 PM »
If you managed to get a college degree you should not have a very hard time searching for and finding a thread dedicated specifically to this subject.
:):)