Author Topic: Gaining points/miles on a credit card...?  (Read 9799 times)

Offline Yellow

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Re: Gaining points/miles on a credit card...?
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 01:22:43 PM »
I just went to the chase bank on devon by office depot last week and she took them without a problem...

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2010, 01:24:32 PM »
But i only went in with $750, it could be that they get annoyed with larger ammounts, otherwise go to a chase ten mins out of the frum area (theres one down peterson and one on western)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 01:29:07 PM by DealPrincess »

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2010, 01:27:24 PM »
I just went to the chase bank on devon by office depot last week and she took them without a problem...

Interesting. Do you mean the one by home depot on McCormick and Devon?

I bank there as well. The last time i took coins there, i brought in 5k and while i was waiting in line, another frum guy came in with a huge box. The manager took one look and went ballistic. She's like, "where are you guys getting these from? I dont have any room left in my vault." She told me i could come back the next day, but i was too embarrassed and didnt want to have that kind of relationship with them. I do all my banking there...several accounts, a mortgage, etc...

Side note, we both went out to the parking lot, looked at each other and said, "Dansdeals?"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 01:40:43 PM »
i was too embarrassed and didnt want to have that kind of relationship with them. I do all my banking there...several accounts, a mortgage, etc...
All the more reason they should take your coins...they don't want to lose the relationship!  A simple threat ought to do if necessary...

Side note, we both went out to the parking lot, looked at each other and said, "Dansdeals?"
;D ;D ;D
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 01:43:46 PM »
:)

Yeah i went to the one on Devon and McCormick and they've been good to me so far

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2010, 01:44:36 PM »
All the more reason they should take your coins...they don't want to lose the relationship!  A simple threat ought to do if necessary...

I know, but i already had a run-in with a different local bank which prompted me to switch to chase. That bank changed their rules and started charging 1% to deposit coins. I just dont like walking in there with a yarmulka on and depositing them if i know they dont like it...

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 01:47:24 PM »
I just dont like walking in there with a yarmulka on and depositing them if i know they dont like it...
maybe wear a baseball cap?

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2010, 05:19:48 PM »
How about buying the coins with a Citi credit card and then just walking into a Citibank branch and paying your CC with the coins, thereby avoiding any IRS related issues?
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2010, 06:16:46 PM »
How about buying the coins with a Citi credit card and then just walking into a Citibank branch and paying your CC with the coins, thereby avoiding any IRS related issues?

cc's aren't checked by IRS.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »
maybe wear a baseball cap?

good idea only if they still wont be sticking out, simply putting on a cap wearing an unkept beard dressed in a white shirt and black pants wont help too much

with the limits now down to $1k every 4 weeks dont bring it in all at once and add some checks or other cash to the deposit, then of cause Dont only use the same Branch every time and dont only use the branches in 1 neighborhood

Now if all of this U say is too much of a hassle (and to some it just may be) then dont order the Coins

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2010, 06:28:10 PM »

there are some Citi branches that wont take them as well

Best is finding a bank that has an automatic coin counter (hope it doesnt mess up) open an acct with them (if they dont charge anyting for using the machine) then go online and pay your CC off that you used to get the coins. I dont suggest opening the acct with teh coins

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2010, 07:03:18 PM »
I dont suggest opening the acct with teh coins
Why not?
I've never had a coin deposit rejected when I'm opening an account as they figure they may as well accept it if they're gaining a customer.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2010, 07:49:18 PM »
Why not?
I've never had a coin deposit rejected when I'm opening an account as they figure they may as well accept it if they're gaining a customer.

many have tried and some were successful back when it wasnt being widely done (the coins that is) but since its a Deposit they dont need to take it and might not thinking it will only be the tip of the iceberg of what will be forth coming. Now mix in a few rolls with cash and or checks is something else

and yes I did do it a couple of times myself but once the banks started getting everyone and their monkey making deposits with them I stopped so as to remain under the radar as much as possible and to still be able to get rid of them

Offline mordylich

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2010, 07:53:07 PM »
many have tried and some were successful back when it wasnt being widely done (the coins that is) but since its a Deposit they dont need to take it and might not thinking it will only be the tip of the iceberg of what will be forth coming. Now mix in a few rolls with cash and or checks is something else

and yes I did do it a couple of times myself but once the banks started getting everyone and their monkey making deposits with them I stopped so as to remain under the radar as much as possible and to still be able to get rid of them

for those of you able to, stick to banks in the cities.  I've deposited 30k within the last month in manhattan banks and have yet to have anyone even bat an eyelash.

Offline BrooklynCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2010, 10:37:36 AM »
There is a federal law against "Structuring" where transactions are structured to avoid certain record keeping and reporting requirements mandated by law. Purposely depositing $9975 in coins to avoid reporting or depositing $5000 on two consecutive days can fall under this law. Eventhough you are obviously not laundering, the mere fact that this is being done to avoid reporting is illegal. Additionaly, the bank might file the report anyway if you constanly make these large deposits slighly under $10,000. I would therefore advise you to make your deposits in smaller amounts and not too often.

Offline mordylich

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2010, 12:01:17 PM »
There is a federal law against "Structuring" where transactions are structured to avoid certain record keeping and reporting requirements mandated by law. Purposely depositing $9975 in coins to avoid reporting or depositing $5000 on two consecutive days can fall under this law. Eventhough you are obviously not laundering, the mere fact that this is being done to avoid reporting is illegal. Additionaly, the bank might file the report anyway if you constanly make these large deposits slighly under $10,000. I would therefore advise you to make your deposits in smaller amounts and not too often.
don't know if you replying to my quote...but if yes, i used the same 2 banks and deposit $1k at a time so as not to piss them off.  but i have yet to have anyone say a word about it.  I guess manhattan banks are used to large coin deposits.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2010, 07:09:46 PM »
cc's aren't checked by IRS.

Precisely...
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline sim

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »
i have a? i dont think was discussed on this forum. if i buy something on a cc (example citi aa)and i receive the bonus miles from that purchase,  then i return the item do i lose the miles that were credited to me?

Offline Avid Reader

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2010, 06:19:41 PM »
i have a? i dont think was discussed on this forum. if i buy something on a cc (example citi aa)and i receive the bonus miles from that purchase,  then i return the item do i lose the miles that were credited to me?

U will usually lose it, unless it is credited back in a different amount then it was charged.