Author Topic: Changes to AA/BA Partnership  (Read 11048 times)

Offline Deal Guy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
Re: Changes to AA/BA Partnership
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
If Coach is OK then then dont forget AB (AirBerlin) fly AA and connect onto them or fly AA and connect onto LY (ElAl). The main problem is AA doesnt serve too many Cities in Europe and unless you dont mind extra connections the likes of Malev & Finnair wont help as you will need to fly IB or BA to get to their hub or have an extra connection which may mean overnighting it in order to fly them to TLV

I looked at AB briefly back in July and cant say I liked what I saw but its nice to know theres another alternative out there in getting to TLV

What do you mean to fly AA and then connect with LY? That would be great, but BA is not a partner with LY, so how can that be done?

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 02:36:03 PM »
What do you mean to fly AA and then connect with LY? That would be great, but BA is not a partner with LY, so how can that be done?

sorry I forgot we were talking about using BA miles, but its good for those using AA miles and avoiding BA

For BA I guess it would be fly AA to wherever you can get a decent connection on AB, only since most people are here want to fly FC or Biz that wouldnt be an option as I believe AB is ALL coach to/from TLV. Although AB is supoose to be using an Airbus 330-200 which has a Biz cabin to/from the US

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 02:42:00 PM »
I'm wondering if you can fly AA to Spain (MAD), and then fly Iberia to Tlv, thus avoiding all fees? Am I correct?
(Using BA miles)

Offline Deal Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 02:47:02 PM »
To take it a bit further, I know that Iberia codeshares with Elal on some flights, so can I redeem the 2nd leg of the trip with Iberia (using BA miles), and somehow end up on an Elal plane?

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2010, 03:02:20 PM »
To take it a bit further, I know that Iberia codeshares with Elal on some flights, so can I redeem the 2nd leg of the trip with Iberia (using BA miles), and somehow end up on an Elal plane?

Id say in most every case where the flight is a codeshare you wont beable to fly on it using miles. So AA I believe has a codeshare with LY on its NY-TLV flights with a AA flight# no way can you use non AA miles for that flight by booking the AA flight#

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
I'm wondering if you can fly AA to Spain (MAD), and then fly Iberia to Tlv, thus avoiding all fees? Am I correct?
(Using BA miles)

trust me you dont want to fly IB on their A-320s just like you dont want to fly on AF or AZ from CDG or FCO or MXP either

Id rather fly as far as I can (as close to TLV as I can) on AA and then fly in on whomever I could. You really want to stay as far away from the European Carriers coach or even biz products as  you can on the narrow body planes

Its not only the surcharge for BA LHR-TLV but the very high UK taxes that has me wanting to avoid BA. The best deal plane wise to TLV is *A, however if aperson will be staying a few days in London then its not so bad as they would have paid the taxes anyway, and besides for RJ BA is probably the best way to get to TLV with OW
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 03:08:26 PM by steve2 »

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 10:53:11 AM »
I am on hold trying to book a flight from NYC - EZE using BA miles flying on AA.  (I have this reservation already on hold with AA for 60k miles, 66.50 taxes).  BA agent is claiming that fuel surcharges for this flight are now $386.  This doesn't seem to make sense based on what i've read -- shouldn't BA not be charging for fuel surcharge if I am flying on AA? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »
I am on hold trying to book a flight from NYC - EZE using BA miles flying on AA.  (I have this reservation already on hold with AA for 60k miles, 66.50 taxes).  BA agent is claiming that fuel surcharges for this flight are now $386.  This doesn't seem to make sense based on what i've read -- shouldn't BA not be charging for fuel surcharge if I am flying on AA? Any advice greatly appreciated.
This is the first report I've ever heard of BA charging a fuel surcharge on a partner airline flight.
Try calling another BA agent and see if they also say that there is a fuel surcharge and let us know what happens!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 11:12:04 AM »
I called back and spoke to another agent who told me that there is the $300 fuel surcharge. I asked to speak with a manager and I have been on hold for the manager for probably close to an hour...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 11:33:02 AM »
I called back and spoke to another agent who told me that there is the $300 fuel surcharge. I asked to speak with a manager and I have been on hold for the manager for probably close to an hour...
Wow, terrible news for BA mileage holders!

Here's some tasks for BA mileage holders.
-Find out if there is a fuel surcharge on domestic AA travel, like CLE-LGA.
-Find out if there is a fuel surcharge on other OneWorld partners.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2010, 11:34:06 AM »
UPDATE: BA supervisor claims that BA and AA are getting in line with each other so they will have the same fuel surcharges and that if I booked a ticket with BA miles to fly on AA, the system quoted $386 taxes.  Supervisor claimed that the BA phone system is already set up that way and that the website might not have this update yet, so it might be possible to find for no fuel surcharge on BA.com, but the flights I am looking for don't show up on BA.com.  BA rep claims AA will have this soon too; however, AA website and phone reps are still quoting low taxes so I am not sure about that.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 11:44:44 AM »
UPDATE: BA supervisor claims that BA and AA are getting in line with each other so they will have the same fuel surcharges and that if I booked a ticket with BA miles to fly on AA, the system quoted $386 taxes.  Supervisor claimed that the BA phone system is already set up that way and that the website might not have this update yet, so it might be possible to find for no fuel surcharge on BA.com, but the flights I am looking for don't show up on BA.com.  BA rep claims AA will have this soon too; however, AA website and phone reps are still quoting low taxes so I am not sure about that.
I hope that I'm misunderstanding! :o
The flight you are looking for is on AA metal.
BA (as far as reported) don't charge a fuel surcharge on partners (AA).
AA after the merger starts charging a fuel surcharge on all BA flights.
Now "BA and AA getting into line" means, BA is going to charge a fuel surcharge on all AA flights? AA is going to start charging on own metal? :o
This merge is going from bad to worse...!!!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2010, 11:45:11 AM »
AA already does charge a fuel surcharge for BA flights.  AA only allows BA bookings over the phone.

Which AA flight and date can you not see on BA.com?  Did you click to include partners?

Either way if this turns out to be true, BA miles just got majorly downgraded now that you must pay $$$ when flying AA or BA.  I do wonder if BA now collects a fuel surcharge on other partners as well.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2010, 11:48:11 AM »
I hope that I'm misunderstanding! :o
The flight you are looking for is on AA metal.
BA (as far as reported) don't charge a fuel surcharge on partners (AA).
AA after the merger starts charging a fuel surcharge on all BA flights.
Now "BA and AA getting into line" means, BA is going to charge a fuel surcharge on all AA flights? AA is going to start charging on own metal? :o
This merge is going from bad to worse...!!!
AA won't charge for travel on their own metal.  AA now charges for BA metal though.

Offline devora

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 11:48:27 AM »
AA.com shows available for rewards: Dec. 2 LGA - DFW - EZW and return Dec 19 EZE - MIA - JFK (or LGA).  I have placed a hold on this for 60k and $66.50 taxes.

If I put in these dates to BA.com (yes, I include partners) no availability shows up.  If I call BA, they can see these flights on AA are available but they will charge me $386 for fuel surchage/taxes per flight.